Rod Handle wrapping Pros/cons

Bassin

Rod Handle wrapping Pros/cons

Post by Bassin »

Lately I have notice some wear an tear on the cork handles of my rods and I am concidering the option of wrapping them. Has anyone done this? Is there a special kind of wrap used, or is it just the same stuff used on Bicycle handle bars?

Thanks for the input....
BassCatPuma

Re: Rod Handle wrapping Pros/cons

Post by BassCatPuma »

I use Rod Wrap on all my rods. It increases the grip and does not take away from the feel. I also use there summer and winter wax to recondition the wraps. Make sure you follow the directions on the package and do not stretch the black finishing tape at the end.
You can check it out at www.robwraps.com .

Tim Hendricks
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.purefishing.com
www.nosweatmist.com
www.rodwraps.com
Dan McKenzie

Post by Dan McKenzie »

I use rescue tape www.rescuetape.com. not only does it make a great handle wrap, no adhesive so you can remove it and the cork isn't sticky, but the stuff is incredibly strong and can be used to repair fuel lines, hydraulic lines, water lines, the list is endless. I bought 3 roll last year at the Sportsmans Expo, wrapped 14 rods and still had leftover to keep in the boat for emergency repairs.
Fish Chris

Well hey Bassin....

Post by Fish Chris »

I wrap ALL of my handles, on ALL of my rods....
But I think for different reasons than you mentioned, and in a different way. Honestly, I never seem to wear out a cork handle, before the whole rest of the rod isn't beat to pieces too, and this takes several years for me to do. Probably because I have quite a few rods, and spread the workload out between them.

But yes, I wrap just the center (reel seat) portion of all of my rods (95% of my rods are spinning), first with electrical tape, to fill in the lower spots, then a final layer of batters grip tape. Of course the cork still shows on both sides, but I prefer it that way. Batters tape will leave a little black sticky garbage on your hands, especially when new..... but I guess that doesn't bother baseball players, or me.

BTW, I even use scotch bright pads, or medium sandpaper to get the crud off of my cork handles once or twice a year, and I still never seem to lose my cork before the rod is worn out. Hmmmm.

Peace,
Fish
G3 Boats
a Yamaha Boat Company

Okuma fishing tackle

TUF-Line by Western Filament

www.TrophyBassOnly.com
....or from here, find links to
Trophy Sportfish .com
and Fish Chris Photo .com
BassNCop

Yo Tim.......

Post by BassNCop »

That website you posted isn't any good. I figured you made an error and so I tried rodwraps.com and that didn't work either.
ironmanlu377

Post by ironmanlu377 »

that rescue tape stuff looks good have you ever used it to fix a hose or wrap wires? does it really work as good as they say it does ?
Wishin I was Fishin
BASS REAPERS
drew

Re: Yo Tim.......

Post by drew »

Dan McKenzie

Post by Dan McKenzie »

Honestly it works better than I ever anticipated. I used it to secure a leaky dishwasher line until I could get a new one, yes it works even when the line was wet. The grip is outstanding, feels real tacky in your hand yet it doesn't have any adhesive to it. I don't think you can go wrong with trying it.
RipnRog

Post by RipnRog »

The easy stuff to use is the same stuff they use to wrap tennis rackets. I have done this and it works really good. It is cheap light and has a ton of advantages such as it keeps your hands dry in the summer and warm in the winter. You can buy it at any sports store and you can even get it in many many colors. Try it it works great and is actually made to do what you will use it for. Except you will be swinging on fish not at a tennis ball.

Rodger
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Dan McKenzie,
I bought some. I hope it is sticky, for those cold mornings when my hands are like clubs.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
BassNCop

Post by BassNCop »

Dan I just ordered some too! Thanks in advance.
Garrett Charter

Post by Garrett Charter »

Rod wrap website is www.betterwaysproducts.com
garrett rod wrap pro staff
Garrett Charter