Trolling Motor Replacement

Pil9rotten

Trolling Motor Replacement

Post by Pil9rotten »

Going to get a new trolling motor soon. Which are you happiest with? Minkota or Motor Guide?

I currently am using a Motorguide but am open to Minkota as well. I am looking at 70lb or more, changing over to 24 volts. I don't need anything too fancy but do want a motor with lots of power without draining the batteries. My boat is 17', aluminum, maybe 1100 lbs.

I am especially interested in what anyone has to say about the Maxxum Series.

Thanks,
Gene Buchholz

Re: Trolling Motor Replacement

Post by Gene Buchholz »

A few years ago I would say buy the MK and don't look back. Since Mercury has bought MG both units are very good. They both have units that are 24v and 70 lbs which would work fine on your 17, if you have the extra cash go to the 80lb motor and you will never have a problem fighting the currents of the Delta. Pick the one that feels comfortable to you.
Call me if you want more info or if i can sell you the motor
925-625-2441 Thanks Gene
[img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/468x60/hookadban.gif[/img]
Scott L

Post by Scott L »

Pil,

Let me say that Gene knows a lot more than I do since he services them. I have had a MK Maxxum 74 on a 21' glass boat since 2000 and love it. Many will want the 36 volt, but I have always been happy with mine on the delta.

Prior to that I had a 16' tin boat that had decks added by yours truly so it was not a light tin boat. It originally came with an old MG Thruster = 18-20#s I was told. I upgraded to a MG 52 or 54 #(memory fails me) 12/24 volt. To avoid having to purchase two batteries, I went with the 12 volt setup. What really made the difference was I ran 6 gauge wire from the TM to the battery. It cost a good chunk of change +/-$100 for the wire at West Marine, but the boat flew.

If you wired your boat with 8-6 gauge wire and a 70+# TM you will be flying.

One feature I liked about my MK is the soft start. If you have it set on a higher setting and step on it the prop starts gradually...avoiding the sideways jump if the motor is pointing sideways when you step on it.

Make sure you put a good in-line breaker for your unit. I purchased mine from Jay Liu when he was down here in Newark. Gene probably stocks one or possibly West marine.

Good luck
FISH2WIN55

Post by FISH2WIN55 »

I have a digital MG and would sa go MK. I have problems with mine left and right. Now that I had Gene rebuild it, it is fine. That was $400 into a $1100 motor after 1 year.
DougH

Post by DougH »

I went from a MG 80 to a MK 101 (36v) and have never looked back. The E-Z lift option is priceless.
Doug Hanson
96 white/green Skeeter 200 EFI
"Quagga Killa"
2000 Dodge Cummins "enhanced"
Elkhorn camper
** Clean and Dry **
David Rogers

Post by David Rogers »

I would say quality is the same now, I have had 73 lb brand new on both, the only thing is I like the foot pedal better on the MK, its bigger and I like the foot switch better also on the MK its easier to engage on the Minkota but again quality is the same.
David 371V Rogers
Phil

Post by Phil »

I love them both have owned and used both.........MotorGuide is like quick draw and I have been tossed out of the boat because of it...MinnKota is more forgiving and has a pause when you touch the go button..........Is why I go with MinnKota now 100%. But they are both good...

Just my two cents worth

Jigs