IKE~ REVISITED

Riverdawg

IKE~ REVISITED

Post by Riverdawg »

Wow I really struck a nerve with the whole Mad Mike Post!!!!

Great to see such a huge response, and such diffrent opinions.
WAY COOL!

One last thought before I forget I ever wrote the darn thing.....

I still remember watching his Major "Melt Down" on national TV in which he made our Great Countrys Flag go to Davey Jones Locker.

That to this very day has forever Stained my opinion of the little guy!

And to those who say he doesnt have to be a role model, just because he is a "Pro"

I SAY THIS.... He needs to think about all the young childeren who look up to him, as they are the FUTURE GENERATION OF PRO BASS ANGLERS!!!

GOD BLESS AMERICA

~Riverdawg
procraftrob

Re: IKE~ REVISITED

Post by procraftrob »

First off Its obvious you are a patriot, and you have all this pride for the flag and all that other bs.

Its just a flag man, a piece of fabric that just happened to be in the way of Ikes foot. Ike in no way did that to degrate the flag, or our country.

I know for a fact that incident stained the opinions of alot of people, I think thats just an excuse to hate on Ike. If it were anyone else it would be forgotten about.

ESPN blew it way out of proportion, they didnt even have to air it, just like they do with the hundreds of hours of footage that gets canned from every other tourney broadcast.

I feel bad for Ike, that people are so rediculous to think he has a negative opinion of the USA just because he did what he did, it had nothing to do with the flag.
straitline

Post by straitline »

GET OVER IT ALREADY!!!!!!
[url=http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81/gorillasstyle/154.jpg][img]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81/gorillasstyle/th_154.jpg[/img][/url]
SHAFT

Post by SHAFT »

It amazes me , how you can judge someone else from what you see on TV , the media sure play's up his attitude and that's about all they show .
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

Pro athletes shouldn't be viewed as role models in fishing and in every sport. They do their job which is to fish, they aren't getting paid to be role models.

I mean come on, this Ike thing is ridiculous. The stuff he does is aired on TV, it ain't that bad! This is ESPN we are talking about not HBO. There is no cussing or anything else you can't see on regular cable TV. As far as the flag thing goes, it was there, it happened. If it was anything else other than a flag he would have done the exact same thing.

Lastly, just don't watch him when he's fishing a tourney or don't watch his show.
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

That was a fun topic, Thanks for bringin it up!
What fun would it be if there was no stratification of opinions :shock:

BassManDan
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
Riverdawg

Post by Riverdawg »

ALOT of Americans have given their lives for all that "Piece of Fabric" stands for !!!!
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

Riverdawg wrote:ALOT of Americans have given their lives for all that "Piece of Fabric" stands for !!!!
Do you really feel that Ike intended to disrepect the flag when he did that? I don't think he did. I just think he grabbed the first thing in front of him.
912nitro

Post by 912nitro »

ike is a idiot. I didnt like him befor the flag incident & like him even less now....
Just another loud mouth street punk who wants his mouth to cover for & hide his insecurities.
i wont knowingly patronize anything that is associated with it.
My wife has a subscription to BASS magazine. if it were my subscription it would immediatly be canceled because the last issue vainly attempted to pacify the masses cover for the ignoramus.
Life is not a dress rehersal. things we say & do affect others.
Everyone will eventually be & should immedialty be held accountable for their actions, or in its case lack there of.
Wise men STILL seek Him....
basstamer

Post by basstamer »

I could give a rats *** "what his intentions were" I agree with River and Nitro.
procraftrob

Post by procraftrob »

You call him an idiot, and a loud mouth street punk, and some of you actually agree, Ive probably met over a hundred bass pros including Ike, and he is right on par with being the nicest well spoken one of them all, I must admit the media makes him out to be a bad boy but he really is a good guy.
JRock

Post by JRock »

I've yet to meet one person whom has actually met Ike that didn't come away liking the guy. I've met him myself and have since become a huge fan of his.

Being a military veteran and knowing the importance of the flag, I took no offense to Ike's actions as I believe they were truly unintentional.
Nozmo King

Post by Nozmo King »

IMO, the flag thing was an inadvertent mistake that was played up by ESPN & BASS to generate controversy & interest. It may have been deliberate by Ike, though, to get some media attention - I don't know & I doubt if any of us will ever know for sure.

The guy is a genius. Look @ how he dresses - the hat, the shorts, the tennis shoes - it's hip-hop, it's happening. Older guys may not like it, but it probably has some appeal to a younger crowd. Let's face it, if you're into bass fishing & you're 18 years old, who is going to get your interest - Ike or some middle-aged, overweight guy with thinning hair (even if that older guy has forgotten more about bass fishing than Ike will ever know)?

I will admit that I've met Ike & I liked him - very smart, very well-spoken, & a good sense of humor.

Post by Guest »

Riverdog,

Don't hate that player... hate the game. Maybe ESPN should have used better judgement as to what they should and should not air along with the frequency of that shot. With all that was said and done I still want to be just like IKE. He's human just like the rest of us.

Vince
warmstrong

Post by warmstrong »

Im currently active duty and the Flag incident didnt bother me. I wasnt his intent to deface the Flag, he was just really upset. If someone with a camera followed my every move in every tournament Ive ever participated in, im sure they would have captured me saying or doing some things I wouldnt be too proud of. The sport we participate in is sometimes intense, and usually the guys that get into competitive fishing are hugely competitive. Just think back to when you played high school sports, (especially football) and got caught up in the emotion of the game and did or said something you might like to take back. Only difference is it didnt make it to sportcenter that night. The only people to blame with that deal is ESPN for playing it so much. It should have gotten edited out and never shown, but ratings rule. Bottom line with Ike is he's a really good guy at heart. I dont know of any pro who signs more autographs or who is more dedicated to reaching out to kids like ive seen him do. When you go to these events alot of the pros are standoffish and wont give you the time of day. What kind of example does that set? Ive never seen Ike turn anyone down for a pic or an autograph. The funny thing is, whether you like him or hate him, hes one of the top fisherman in the world. The main reason some of his esteemed peers dont like him is their tired of him taking their money :wink:
Flippinjigs

Post by Flippinjigs »

I spent 21 years, 6 months, and 27 days Active Duty defending this country, that Flag and all rights and freedoms we enjoy today. I was one of the lucky ones that came home from several wars and conflicts. And while it might sound foolish to some, I Volunteered to serve. No one should ever get so out of control to deep six our flag.

It seems to me that this guy has no respect (It's All About Me). And he really isn't as cool as he and some might think he is acting a fool (my own opinion). When his little kingdom almost came crashing down on him from his own actions he was almost in tears apologizing. I consider his conduct in a class with Brittney Spears. just my $0.02

And here we go again!!!

Good Fishin
whazup

Post by whazup »

I think he is nuts. I just watched a Youtube clip of him catching what looked to be a 3-4 lb bass and he went absolutely berserk. I was embarrassed for him. A DD maybe, but for a pro to act like that over what (for him) is a routine fish is over the top. Act like you've done it before.
M. Warner

Post by M. Warner »

hey procraftrob, if the flag is just fabic to you go and move to the middle east then, or somewhere out of this wonderful United States. Have a little more class than that pal. It means way more to me than just fabric, I fly a flag everyday at my house. Do you?
procraftrob

Post by procraftrob »

I dont mean to disrespect the USA by any means. I love this country, but come on seriously its just a piece of fabric you can buy at a 99 cent store, people dont go to war for a flag. We go to war to protect our freedom and for all the great people who live in this country,or in the current case oil.

I think getting all bent out of shape over the flag is pointless, and an old fashioned way of thinking.

If someone wants to disrespect the flag then go right ahead it has no efffect on me. That is that persons opinion of the country which he or she is definately entitled to. Its like crying over spilt milk.

Sorry if Ive offended anyone, but my original point was that Ike has nothing against our country, and those who were interpreting the flag pole incedent to mean that, are kind of childish in all honesty....
whazup

Post by whazup »

The Flag is a piece of fabric, like the Constitution is a piece of paper. It's not the fabric, it's what it represents. You libs are amazing.
M. Warner

Post by M. Warner »

That was the only thing ike had to throw, or was worth throwing. Also that was like 2 years ago, get over it and drop it. I am sure ike could whoop any of us at any giving lake.
Riverdawg

Post by Riverdawg »

AMEN AND GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

To all of those who say the flag is just a piece of fabric, I say this..

LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT!

~River
nipples

Post by nipples »

Vince Borrego wrote:Riverdog,

Don't hate that player... hate the game. Maybe ESPN should have used better judgement as to what they should and should not air along with the frequency of that shot. With all that was said and done I still want to be just like IKE. He's human just like the rest of us.

Vince
You know.. I hate this saying more than any other incredibly STUPID saying I have heard to date...

"Don't hate that player... hate the game."

Well a game without players is no longer a game... A game doesn't happen without players... The game without players no longer exists in reality and is left to rot where all horribly bad games go... as a non existent bad idea and nothing more...

It IS the players who ARE responsible for the game existing in the first place.. So by all means, the players ARE indeed the ones you SHOULD hate. Hate ALL the players as well as the game.

In regards to Ike... I’ve hated Ike long before the flag incident... Ike is a perfect example of what a real man is not. He has been burdened with the inherent responsibilities that go with celebrity. Ike blows it every time he gets a camera on him. He lacks any form of self-restraint or control and thinks he can get by with the pitiful excuse that he is an "emotional" person and therefore his lack of integrity should not be frowned upon. Wrong... It should be frowned upon by anyone with a shred of integrity. This is just a drop in the bucket of what is teaching our children, but every drop counts. It's all these little things that add up to the future of tomorrow.

With celebrity there is a responsibility to the American family that is unfortunately tied to it. The networks used to be responsible and did their part in censoring the bad and only allowing the good to enter the homes of America. Somewhere along the way they stopped doing that. Perhaps they felt the role models they allowed were too perfect and there was no way for regular Joes like you and me to live up to the level they allowed to be aired in our homes. Perhaps they were tired of doing the thankless job of doing their part to make the world a better place. Somehow though, they crossed extremes and put the poor behavior and lack of moral fiber under the scope and made it the new reality and thus the new norm. This new reality of magnified bad behavior is part of what is teaching society the boundaries of acceptable and unacceptable behavior. It's the little moments of observing others that constantly reforms our boundaries of right and wrong, of acceptable and unacceptable.

You may not be able to teach an old dog new tricks but that only applies to dogs. Human beings have 10,000 times the capabilities of a dog. Think about what was acceptable and allowed when you were a kid. Now days those same things are accepted as normal or ok (not the extreme things like murder or rape, but all the other behavior). We have idiots like Ike to thank for that... And some may say that he is young and just a victim and that society made him this way.

You see… This is the curse of gradual change... It's slow, and there is no one person or group to point a finger at. Reversing it seems impossible. It is possible, but it requires everyone to change and stop tolerating it. It starts with each individual. And if by some chance of fate, we all happen upon the same page at some point in the future, that change will occur. Until then it is a pipe dream... But dreams can come true and this one is worth pursuing.

Ike is no role model. He is not a real man. He sucks as a celebrity. He might act nice to others around him. But that doesn't change anything. You disagree??? You care to tell me that I should let my kids learn their boundaries of acceptable behavior from that A$$-Clown??? Oh NO!!!! No ones kids should learn their boundaries of acceptable behavior from Mike Iaconelli... He has zero control over himself... no self-restraint... and little Timmy and little Johnny think it’s cool to be like Ike because he dresses like a teen and acts like a moron and they think it’s funny. They want to be funny, they want to be cool… So Ike becomes a role model and they will try to emulate him and be like him...

Seriously... Is Ike what you want the society of tomorrow to be like???

Now go look at VanDam... controlled, cool, intelligent, decisive, patient... He is just as human as Ike is, yet he doesn’t need YOU to make excuses for his behavior. He gets excited and shows great enthusiasm when he is victorious. But he is not conceited and doesn't have bratty tantrums and bang his head into his windshield.

Every one of you reading this will shape tomorrow as a member of society (like it or not, we are all members) and accept and encourage, ignore, or condemn the behavior of Ike. The thinking man will condemn it as bad and voice that concern. The lazy man who doesn't care about the tomorrow will ignore it, and the morons will accept it and encourage it. Regardless of what you choose, weather or not you do something or nothing, you are ALL doing a part to shape the face of tomorrow. Even if that something involves not seeing it clearly and being part of the lazy or moronic groups, there are no excuses, everything you do between now and the future will make tomorrow better or worse… it’s just a question of degrees.

Good Fishing,

-Paul-
JRock

Post by JRock »

As a child I could have only wished there was a fisherman like Ike to look up to. Ike is a college graduate, a guy who pretty much taught himself, someone who made his way via the federation, and someone who simply “Never Gave Up!â€
whazup

Post by whazup »

Make that, "never grew up'.
upriverLMB

Post by upriverLMB »

nipples wrote:
Vince Borrego wrote:Riverdog,

Vince
You know.. I hate this saying more than any other incredibly STUPID saying I have heard to date...

"Don't hate that player... hate the game."

Well a game without players is no longer a game... A game doesn't happen without players... The game without players no longer exists in reality and is left to rot where all horribly bad games go... as a non existent bad idea and nothing more...

It IS the players who ARE responsible for the game existing in the first place.. So by all means, the players ARE indeed the ones you SHOULD hate. Hate ALL the players as well as the game.

In regards to Ike... I’ve hated Ike long before the flag incident... Ike is a perfect example of what a real man is not. He has been burdened with the inherent responsibilities that go with celebrity. Ike blows it every time he gets a camera on him. He lacks any form of self-restraint or control and thinks he can get by with the pitiful excuse that he is an "emotional" person and therefore his lack of integrity should not be frowned upon. Wrong... It should be frowned upon by anyone with a shred of integrity. This is just a drop in the bucket of what is teaching our children, but every drop counts. It's all these little things that add up to the future of tomorrow.

With celebrity there is a responsibility to the American family that is unfortunately tied to it. The networks used to be responsible and did their part in censoring the bad and only allowing the good to enter the homes of America. Somewhere along the way they stopped doing that. Perhaps they felt the role models they allowed were too perfect and there was no way for regular Joes like you and me to live up to the level they allowed to be aired in our homes. Perhaps they were tired of doing the thankless job of doing their part to make the world a better place. Somehow though, they crossed extremes and put the poor behavior and lack of moral fiber under the scope and made it the new reality and thus the new norm. This new reality of magnified bad behavior is part of what is teaching society the boundaries of acceptable and unacceptable behavior. It's the little moments of observing others that constantly reforms our boundaries of right and wrong, of acceptable and unacceptable.

You may not be able to teach an old dog new tricks but that only applies to dogs. Human beings have 10,000 times the capabilities of a dog. Think about what was acceptable and allowed when you were a kid. Now days those same things are accepted as normal or ok (not the extreme things like murder or rape, but all the other behavior). We have idiots like Ike to thank for that... And some may say that he is young and just a victim and that society made him this way.

You see… This is the curse of gradual change... It's slow, and there is no one person or group to point a finger at. Reversing it seems impossible. It is possible, but it requires everyone to change and stop tolerating it. It starts with each individual. And if by some chance of fate, we all happen upon the same page at some point in the future, that change will occur. Until then it is a pipe dream... But dreams can come true and this one is worth pursuing.

Ike is no role model. He is not a real man. He sucks as a celebrity. He might act nice to others around him. But that doesn't change anything. You disagree??? You care to tell me that I should let my kids learn their boundaries of acceptable behavior from that A$$-Clown??? Oh NO!!!! No ones kids should learn their boundaries of acceptable behavior from Mike Iaconelli... He has zero control over himself... no self-restraint... and little Timmy and little Johnny think it’s cool to be like Ike because he dresses like a teen and acts like a moron and they think it’s funny. They want to be funny, they want to be cool… So Ike becomes a role model and they will try to emulate him and be like him...

Seriously... Is Ike what you want the society of tomorrow to be like???

Now go look at VanDam... controlled, cool, intelligent, decisive, patient... He is just as human as Ike is, yet he doesn’t need YOU to make excuses for his behavior. He gets excited and shows great enthusiasm when he is victorious. But he is not conceited and doesn't have bratty tantrums and bang his head into his windshield.

Every one of you reading this will shape tomorrow as a member of society (like it or not, we are all members) and accept and encourage, ignore, or condemn the behavior of Ike. The thinking man will condemn it as bad and voice that concern. The lazy man who doesn't care about the tomorrow will ignore it, and the morons will accept it and encourage it. Regardless of what you choose, weather or not you do something or nothing, you are ALL doing a part to shape the face of tomorrow. Even if that something involves not seeing it clearly and being part of the lazy or moronic groups, there are no excuses, everything you do between now and the future will make tomorrow better or worse… it’s just a question of degrees.

Good Fishing,

-Paul-
WOW! sounds like a Manson rant, I thought LSD was no longer the drug of choice.

LMB
Nick_Barr

Post by Nick_Barr »

ALL I can tell you from being 16 YEARS OLD is that IKE may not be the perfect Role Model and sometimes just acts like a straight up immature child with a temper tantrum.....He does one thing that is better than 90% of the world, GETS YOUTH INVOLVED WITH FISHING.

He gets kids involved that in no other way would ever get into fishing. I can tell you that any kid who is involved in the sport of fishing is better off than a majority of the population. The new generation needs someone of Ike's "Crazy" to get a majority of them attracted to the sport in the first place.

I go to a high school, that has always been a PROBLEM high school, somewhat of the red headed stepchild of the school district. I cannot tell you how many kids in my high school are into DRUGS, ALCHOHOL and GANGS, but I know personally that there are VERY high percentage of them are involved in at least one, some of them are even my friends. Any kid who is actively involved in Fishing, no matter how he or she got started is better off than a majority of their peers.

I am not enouraging Ike's actions, as I do not really like to watch him when he goes beyond pure emotion. But he is doing something very good in the fishing community, that many are not doing.

As for Role Models, I believe that a parent should be the role model in a child's life, yes there may be the superstar "role model" but the true role model needs to be the parent and that parent needs to pay attention to their child's life and steer them in the right direction, unlike many of the parent's of today are. I am EXTREMELY amazed at how the younger parents of my peers are so CLUELESS on what their child does. I am very grateful to have my dad be 50 and my mom 60 as they have steered me in the right direction and have paid attention to my life, even though they are divorced.

Youth Fishing is the future, if anybody likes it or not. It is not something we can just blow off. IT ALL STARTS WITH INFORMING THE PARENTS, ATTRACTING THE KIDS AND CREATING OPPORTUNITIES!!!!!!!!
http://www.NickBarrFishing.com
President, Eastern Washington University Sportsman's Club
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

If this topic is still on the front page by Tuesday, I'll chime in with a little more to get everyone riled up :twisted: Until then...

It is just really surprising how many people think Ike is such a bad guy, and people that think he's not so bad, are terrible people for thinking that :roll: Isn't life (let alone fishing) more important than pi$$ing and moaning about the stuff some guy did :roll:

BassManDan
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
procraftrob

Post by procraftrob »

Nick B makes more sense than all of us.
procraftrob

Post by procraftrob »

I recently read an article on basszone.com, it talked about how he stopped vacationing with his girl, to make a wish come true for child with cancer. Things like this make me realize what a a$$ hole Ike is! lol........ NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!

http://www.basszone.com/2008quickflips/ikewish.htm[/url]
kb

Post by kb »

This is from BassZone.com. I just thought I might ad it to you discussion here to show a side of IKE that many of you have not seen or maybe you don't care to see it.

Mike has never been anything but nice to me and I have witnessed him with the public, press and kids and he always has the time for them. Many of the guys that are percieved as role models and great guys won't take the time to talk with their fans...good day or bad.

No I don't always agree with everything that Mike has done or does on camera but I am sure that all of you that have posted on the light pole incident should write a couple of articles for us that explain how you have lived your entire life without ever regretting your actions.......I know for a fact that Mike regrets that. He has personally told me that.

Love him or hate him he has been responsible for shedding some new lights on bass fishing from media that never cared. Read this post from BASSZONE.COM and tell me he doesn't care.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Orlando, Fla – Fishing fans often paint New Jersey pro Mike Iaconelli as a hothead. But those who know him well know that no one in pro fishing has a bigger heart or more time for their fans, especially for the kids.

So when Ish Monroe met 16 year old Scotty Goldman at a boat show, he didn’t hesitate to pick up the phone to see if Ike could fulfill Scotty’s dream to spend a day on the water with Ike. The young man has cancer and is part of the Make A Wish Foundation.

“When Ish called me, it didn’t take me even half a second to make the decision. It was a no-brainer,â€
Colebass

Thanks for sharing!

Post by Colebass »

Kent,

Thank you for sharing this article!

The difference between you and most of the other who posted on on Ike, is that you have met him! These guys are taking pop shots at someone they don't know!! Now this is not typical for this site!! Jump on and beat folks up with out facts!! For what ever reason people think it's ok to be haters, say negative things and share their opinion, no matter the harm. I'm not sure why this is, but it does happen here, more often than it should!!

I have posted less and less over the years, because of this. Tony does a great job of trying to keep this in check and jump's in to keep people honest. Yes they cry about it, delete their own post, even try and change their names, but Tony and team are on them! Thank you Tony!!

My point here is simple, let's talk fishing, quit hating eachother and make this the sport it could be, GREAT!

Do what IKE does and take a kid fishing, even if your girl friend or wife get's mad! When she find's out it's for a kid, you'll be paid back and then some!

Good luck!

Dave Cole
Last edited by Colebass on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
nipples

Re: Thanks for sharing!

Post by nipples »

Oh My!!! You buffoons are totally right.. I can’t believe I was so wrong… Geee, you guys sure put me in my place.. You really got me with that “Oh Yeahâ€
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

Nipples is a saint. :D
CORAL 96

Post by CORAL 96 »

Here's a GUY (I Think) calling himself NIPPLES telling others how to act? :shock: I think that's PRICELESS right there!!!!! :lol: 8)
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

There are pnly a few responses on the thread that really mean much of anything and the most important is that of Nick Barr..There is nothing in his post that in any way can be thought of as anything but the truth..We all have our opinions of Ike and any other sports celebrity, and that is all they are opinions..Nick gives proof of positive role models and who they should be..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
jiggin_pimpin

Post by jiggin_pimpin »

The beauty of this country is that everybody can and has an opinion about pretty much everything. Some just go out of their way to relay and push their opinions onto others.

Really, Is Ike such an important part of our lives that whether he is a jerk or not, really needed to be debated on this website? As far as him being a good role model? Who cares! If you have kids and you are not the biggest role model/ influence in their lives, then that to me is the greater issue of all.

About the only thing this thread has done is make it known that Ike is a divisive topic. That's it.

Let's try to move along in our daily live and forget that this thread even started.

Ike is still a darn good angler and that's it. Last time I checked, he's not in the sport to be a humanitarian.
Riverdawg

Post by Riverdawg »

IKE is playing "Catch Up" to "Make Up" for his Bassmaster meltdown!!!!

My dad always said.. "what ever you do ,you have to sleep with tonight"

Ike is going to be sleeping with his International Meltdown for years to come.

Its kind of like when a Movie Star gets busted for drugs, and part of their sentence is doing a bunch of "Say No To Drugs" TV Spots.
Then they just go and do some more dope anyway.

Kinda like Pi$$ing into the wind !

Glad to see that one of my very first Posts has been so popular!

Thanks to all for your feedback.

~Riverdawg 8)
Riverdawg

Post by Riverdawg »

HOLY SMOKE THAT WAS LONG WINDED!!!!!

LOL

~Riverdawg 8)
g-man

Post by g-man »

this whole debate is stupid!

The pros, the cons!!!

What has Ike really done so bad???

don't use the flag to justify why you don't like him, cause we all know thats back pedaling!!

proud American! G
Last edited by g-man on Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
100% LL
procraftrob

Post by procraftrob »

[quote="nipples"]Oh My!!! You buffoons are totally right.. I can’t believe I was so wrong… Geee, you guys sure put me in my place.. You really got me with that “Oh Yeahâ€
g-man

Post by g-man »

nm
100% LL

Post by Guest »

Nipples,

Yeah I hate that saying too... it was meant as sarcasm. :)
NaCl

You're not quite right....

Post by NaCl »

You said..."These guys are taking pop shots at someone they don't know!!"

Not true Dave. They DO know Mike....through the eyes of the BASS/ESPN cameras. They "know" the Mike that was living up to an outrageous image that was encouraged by the organization. Mike, unfortunately, did not recognize that it was getting to be too much "bad boy" image. He went over the top when he let his temper go out of control....again....for the cameras. When this happened, I was very critical of him (or I should say his actions) along with a lot of other guys. I applauded Ranger for terminating his sponsorship and I banned my grandchildren from watching BASS TV shows when he was being featured.

As most of you know, I'm a long time Bass Cat guy so you can imagine my reaction when they announced Mike's sponsorship! OUCH! I even called the owner of the company and asked him, "Are you guys out of your minds?! Am I going to have to buy a stinkin Ranger now?"

Bass Cat's reaction to me was, "Dean, we don't condone Mike's recent behavior on camera either and we let him know we will not tolerate any repetition of that stuff. But, there's a lot more to the Michael Iaconelli story than you know. Our decision was based on observations we personally made that were not part of any television shows. For example, he is the first pro to arrive at the lake every day. He visits with fans until he needs to go check in. Mike shows them baits, answers questions, teaches how to rig....in essence, he promotes bass fishing tirelessly. After he weighs in, he is the last pro to leave the lake...again, spending time answering questions and promoting the sport until most of the fans leave. In addition, when he's not out fishing a circuit, Mike is doing charity work aimed at promting the sport and meeting the special needs of underprivileged or handicapped fans. This guy can be the BEST ambassador for the sport among all the pros...and that off-camera behavior means he DESERVES a second chance!"

After that response from Bass Cat, I stopped criticizing Mike and I watched. I still thought Bass Cat made a mistake. In the last few months, his behavior on camera has been excellent. His over-the-top enthusiasm seems to be under control and his behavior before and after the events continues to be tops among his peers in promoting bass fishing.

If my impression was still based on those BASS/ESPN television clips then I would still ridicule him like some others do. But, I took Bass Cat's advice to learn more about the man and my impression has changed completely. He's a good guy and he's a good ambassador for the sport. You guys that are critical of him ought to update your information. Your current opinion is based on old information and I think you might like what you find if you look again.

Just MHO

.....NaCl
Last edited by NaCl on Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NaCl

Well said young man.*NM*

Post by NaCl »

*NM*
Riverdawg

Post by Riverdawg »

DONT HATE THE POSTER.... HATE THE GAME!!!!!!

~Riverdawg 8)
g-man

Re: You're not quite right....

Post by g-man »

NaCl wrote:You said..."These guys are taking pop shots at someone they don't know!!"

Not true Dave. They DO know Mike....through the eyes of the BASS/ESPN cameras. They "know" the Mike that was living up to an outrageous image that was encouraged by the organization. Mike, unfortunately, did not recognize that it was getting to be too much "bad boy" image. He went over the top when he let his temper go out of control....again....for the cameras. When this happened, I was very critical of him (or I should say his actions) along with a lot of other guys. I applauded Ranger for terminating his sponsorship and I banned my grandchildren from watching BASS TV shows when he was being featured.

As most of you know, I'm a long time Bass Cat guy so you can imagine my reaction when they announced Mike's sponsorship! OUCH! I even called the owner of the company and asked him, "Are you guys out of your minds?! Am I going to have to buy a stinkin Ranger now?"

Bass Cat's reaction to me was, "Dean, we don't condone Mike's recent behavior on camera either and we let him know we will not tolerate any repetition of that stuff. But, there's a lot more to the Michael Iaconelli story than you know. Our decision was based on observations we personally made that were not part of any television shows. For example, he is the first pro to arrive at the lake every day. He visits with fans until he needs to go check in. Mike shows them baits, answers questions, teaches how to rig....in essence, he promotes bass fishing tirelessly. After he weighs in, he is the last pro to leave the lake...again, spending time answering questions and promoting the sport until most of the fans leave. In addition, when he's not out fishing a circuit, Mike is doing charity work aimed at promting the sport and meeting the special needs of underprivileged or handicapped fans. This guy can be the BEST ambassador for the sport among all the pros...and that off-camera behavior means he DESERVES a second chance!"

After that response from Bass Cat, I stopped criticizing Mike and I watched. I still thought Bass Cat made a mistake. In the last few months, his behavior on camera has been excellent. His over-the-top enthusiasm seems to be under control and his behavior before and after the events continues to be tops among his peers in promoting bass fishing.

If my impression was still based on those BASS/ESPN television clips then I would still ridicule him like some others do. But, I took Bass Cat's advice to learn more about the man and my impression has changed completely. He's a good guy and he's a good ambassador for the sport. You guys that are critical of him ought to update your information. Your current opinion is based on old information and I think you might like what you find if you look again.

Just MHO

.....NaCl
Its all about a second chance, I can honestly say that if I did not get one for my past wrong doings who knows where I would be now!

Give Ike a Break!! I knew that he did alot of great things for this sport, but Damn! Hes a stick, and a great model for this sport, and i have never questioned that for a minute. When he broke the flag I still didn't question it. People make mistakes, its what you do after it that makes the difference.....
100% LL
nipples

Post by nipples »

procraftrob wrote: Nipples, you seem like a true cynic. You flip a perfectly positive thing and make it into a negative.

What do you do when someone gives you a birthday present? Do you thank the person for it? Or do you twist it around in your head and figure that they gave it to you so that they could profit from it some how.

It seems to me in your opinion anyone doing a good deed in pubic is done for self profit.

Yah Ike gets a story written about himself, when he does somthing good. What do you expect him to do, say no you cant write that....

Not everyone in this world is evil. There are truly good deeds, and I for one believe Ike has done a few of them.

Oh.. and nipples, there is a book out there on Mike Iaconelli if you care to educate yourself on who he is and how a real fisherman conducts himself. You should pick it up and give it a read.

NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!
To address you directly procraftrob... When someone gives me a present I thank them.

To quote you... "It seems to me in your opinion anyone doing a good deed in pubic is done for self profit."

This is not the case...

Ike didn't do anything charitable... He exploited a little kid to promote himself.

You see.... Ike should have Taken Scotty Goldman and chaperone out without the cameras and media blitz... Without all the publicity and camera posing, without the crowd... That would have been acceptable in my eyes. And he would win huge points if I found out about it years from now.

He had a chance to give this kid his undivided attention but instead he brought along a camera crew and a ton of distraction. It could have been three in a boat and no one else, no producers, no PR team, basically no one to exploit what could have been an admirable charity. Lots of water, peaceful scenery, open dialogue, lots of teaching and one on one instruction. Memories of personal time with Ike that Scotty would cherish far more than his memories of that camera crew. Yes being on camera might have been exciting, but that could have been saved for a press interview at the end of the day. What do you think Scotty would have preferred?

What Ike did was take advantage a little boy to shamefully promote himself as a good guy. Yes, I sincerely believe it was all done as a publicity stunt and only a small token of it was genuine.

Yes I have read Ike's book as he is from Jersey and so is my wife. When I first started learning about Ike, I really wanted to like him.. But he was and is an idiot, and I don't like him.

What Ike does off camera and out of the eye of the camera doesn't mean squat... Kids emulate what they see i.e. what the camera sees... I don't want my kids or anyone else’s kids emulating that buffoon. Do I need to know the guy to make that decision? NO!!! Do I need to give a rat’s patooty about what he does for charity that the kids never see? NO!!!

What you fail to realize is that I have thought long and hard about Ike.. I have done my research and I an extremely well educated about the bozo... What has he done that is so wrong? He keeps loosing it and acting like a spoiled brat having a tantrum on TV!!! That is what the kids see, that is what they try to emulate. And no amount of behind the scenes charity is going to help that.. And exploiting a kid with cancer just got him some more negative points in my book.

Do you get it now? Can you see the light? Is it all starting to crystallize? Yes he is a human being, and human beings make mistakes. He has indeed done good deeds, but does it matter to kids? If he wasn't in the spotlight, idolized by children all over the place I would hold him to a much, much, much, lower standard . But he IS in the spotlight and kids DO look up to him... There is a TON of responsibility that goes along with that. Part of that responsibility is public image... Not an image from a PR stunt aimed at adults to win back their favor... his image in the eyes of kids everywhere... kids...eyes.... what they see...

Ask some young kids to describe Ike to you, pretend you don't know him, and just listen to what they tell you. Ask them what is "cool" about Ike. Ask them to act like Ike for you.

And then come back and tell me Ike is a great role model.

And don't ever tell me to give Ike a second chance.... I have a zero tolerance policy for celebrities that are role models for kids. You might as well tell me to give a kid a second chance with a handgun... Who was the moron who gave a kid a handgun to begin with?

It's called unsportsman like conduct... and I say any pro who is guilty of it, should be banned from thier sport for the rest of thier life... period... no do overs.. zero tollerance... not in the pros.

Ike is a fool. Yes he is a fool with a college degree, but any fool can get a college degree, have you ever been to a frat party?

And if any of you are wondering if I hold any celibrity that is a role model to children to this same standard, the answer is YES. Ike is definately not alone nor is he near the top of the bad list, but this discussion isn't about the rest of them, it's about Ike. In the fishing world, Ike is at the top of the bad list. And in the fishing world, I would much prefer to see a blank bad list.

Good Fishing,

-Paul-
kb

Post by kb »

Paul you are entitled to you opinion but it is not the only one. You have to think for a moment that the filming of this young man's special day will be something that his family will have long after this awful disease has taken him from them.

If you have never been part of taking one of these terminally ill children fishing you do not have any idea what an impression it leaves on you. I was fortunate enough to take a young boy named Patrick fishing a couple of years ago on Clear Lake. Patrick is now flying with the angels and I remember that day each and every time I am on Clear Lake. We had a camera crew with us, wore a sponsor jersey and even brought the fish in for everyone to see.....because Patrick wanted to, just like on tv.

You are more than entitled to your opinion of Mike and don't have to like him but until you have had one of these special ill little children etch their mark into your heart and have that heart broken when you receive that phone call that they lost their battle you have no idea how that feels, the tears that run down your face are real, no media stunt trust me.

When I agreed to take the trip with Patrick, Gary Dobyns asked me if I knew what I was in for. He had done a trip a few years earlier and knew what it did to him. After that trip I was mentioned in an article "the real hero's of bass fishing" that Dean Sault wrote. It was nice but don't even try to tell me that I only did that tirp for media impressions.

I am way done posting on this and wish it would die, I am getting ready for 10 days on Clear Lake and the first one to hit the carpet will be for Patrick Gallagher and his family......god bless them.

kb
wccjanel

Post by wccjanel »

What's funny (sad) is that there was not a single flag pole on any of the boats during the infamous classic. It was a light post that the boat preppers had strapped flags onto, in honor of our soldiers that were away fighting for our freedoms. There were other anglers out there with flags on their light posts that ESPN never mentioned. Some honor, eh?
In fact, the only time that the Disney folks mentioned the flags at all was when Mike Iaconelli lost his cool, and broke his light post. The flag, at that point, suffered collateral damage. Ike did not do anything on live TV. It was taped, examined by a director, and signed off by the producer to air, and air, and air.
Train wrecks, and temper tantrums are about the only sexiness live bass tournaments have to offer to non fisherman. The Disney/ABC/ESPN Media Company know what it takes to produce a show. That is what they did.
Ike knows what branding is, and he has branded himself into something that people create multiple forum threads about. Crazy like a fox, I say.

Let he who hath not sinned cast the first stone.
James Nelson
- Fish Inspired -
http://www.thefishicon.com/