Toray Line

ajanke

Toray Line

Post by ajanke »

Has anyone used Toray fluorocarbon? A fisherman told me this is great line. I asked him where did he get it and he said he had to order it off the internet. He told me it was the best fluorocarbon on the market. I asked him if he was sponsored by them and he said no. I am going to buy a spool of this stuff and fish with it and see what it is all about. Soon as I get some feed back from using it I will let you guy's know my findings on this line. Thanks
185vsfrog

Re: Toray Line

Post by 185vsfrog »

I fished Toray Floro (top of the line model). Thought it was wayyy to expensive for what it was supposed to be. Thin diameter, yes. Strength, its ok. I like p line flourocarbon 100 times better at half the price. A really great line to check out it Sunline Defier. It is 100% nylon coplymer. It is moss green color. super limp and castable. Super strong and 22lb test has diameter of 12lb. I landed a 10.63 last week with it and it held up great. I was fishing a Maverick swimbait and had my drag pegged. Line stretch was sufficient and it held up well when the fish surged. I like Defier alot. Check it out. I got mine online on ebay.
ajanke

Post by ajanke »

Thanks for the quick response to my line question. I have also used the P-line in the fluorocarbon and my results were good. I have used a few kinds of fluorocarbon lines and I am trying to do some market research on what will be the best line for me. I have quite a bit of inexpensive line to pull from, I am looking for the very best for when I fish my local tournaments. I will look into the Defier it sounds like a great product. By the way nice job on that 10 lb + fish, good deal.
185vsfrog

Post by 185vsfrog »

I actually got three over 10 in 8 days. I will post photos someday.......... :D
mrfishin86

Post by mrfishin86 »

I've used the Toray Superhard Upgrade, which I believe is top of the line from them. I had a really good experience with the 12 and 14, that stuff was awesome, but I tried the 20 and it was way difficult to manage. Its about $40 for 150 meters and I would say it is probly not worth that much but Mel Cotton's is blowing out what they have left at about $25 a spool which at least makes it worth a try in my opinion. Best flouro for the money right now is definitely InvisX with Halo comin in at a close second.
ajanke

Post by ajanke »

Hello,
I purchased my Toray flourocarbon line. I put this 6 lb line through a few not so scientific tests to see how well it performs compared to other top quality flourocarbon lines. I put it through a strength test and the results were great. I had a hard time telling how much stronger it was to the lb over the other top brand stuff but I can tell you I had to pull hard to brake it. I know with out a shadow of doubt that it broke way over 6 lbs. The next test I did was to see how stiff it was compared to my other lines and the Toray super hard was stiffer than the other ones I tested. For me, I can manage it on a spinning reel just fine but I can see some people having an issue with this. Knot strength, I could not see much diffrence in one line to the next. I never had it break at the knot but on all lines they all broke 1/4" to 1 " from the knot. That is all I have for now. Next time I write a post on this subject I will tell you my resuts from a fishing application.

Thanks,
Andrew
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Toray is an excellent, high grade Fluorocarbon, coming out of the same Kohrea Chemical plant that makes Segaur, Sugoi and Sunline! These four are the creme of the crop coming out of Japan!
Micropterus salmoides

Post by Micropterus salmoides »

I used 16lb Super Hard Upgrade for about 1 1/2 months. It's comparable in diameter to 12lb P-Line CXX. Very sensitive and still manageable. I've been using 20lb for about a month, which is comparable in diameter to 15lb CXX. It's definitely stiffer and you have to be more careful about creating kinks. The 16lb was less abrasion resistant than 12lb CXX. I haven't really tested the 20lb, but it seems that it is closer in abrasion resistance to 15lb CXX than the 16lb Toray was to the 12lb CXX.
Splash

Post by Splash »

I tested the Toray SuperHard against the Sunline FC Sniper for 2 weeks on Sam Rayburn. Had them on identical rigs fishing the same lures. Fished hydrilla and buckbrush and found it performed surprisingly well. Actually, the only area that it didn't perform as well as the Sunline was abrasion resistance. I had to re-tie 7 or 8 times a day with the Toray and once or twice a day with the Sunline. As far as it breaking "way" more than 6lbs, you better check that. It is IGFA rated, which means it has to break at or close to 6lbs. It is a good quality line, but I still like Sunline better and IMHO, P line isn't in the same class as either one of these lines.
Oh Well,maybe another day!!!

Andy Caldwell
Micropterus salmoides

Post by Micropterus salmoides »

Splash wrote:I tested the Toray SuperHard against the Sunline FC Sniper for 2 weeks on Sam Rayburn. Had them on identical rigs fishing the same lures. Fished hydrilla and buckbrush and found it performed surprisingly well. Actually, the only area that it didn't perform as well as the Sunline was abrasion resistance. I had to re-tie 7 or 8 times a day with the Toray and once or twice a day with the Sunline. As far as it breaking "way" more than 6lbs, you better check that. It is IGFA rated, which means it has to break at or close to 6lbs. It is a good quality line, but I still like Sunline better and IMHO, P line isn't in the same class as either one of these lines.
I'm surprised that you found Sunline FC Sniper more abrasion resistant than Toray Super Hard. The TT Fluorocarbon Showdown showed that Toray Super Hard was more abrasion resistant than Sunline Shooter. I thought Sunline Shooter was more abrasion resistant than Sunline FC Sniper, which would mean that Super Hard would be more abrasion resistant than both of the Sunlines.

What lb tests did you use for comparison?

As far as the breaking strength 14lb test Toray Super Hard breaks around 16lbs.

I do like Sunline FC Sniper, but have only used it on my spinning reel.
Splash

Post by Splash »

If you'll go back on TT about a year and a half ago, you'll see where I posted thes results. I actually went through the tests at GamblerHydra's urging. One thing you have to remember about these tests i that I did them on my lake, with my equipment, my lures and my style and those were my findings. TT performed their tests their way and you'll also see if you check my posts that I did not agree with some of their findings but that is my opinion and in no way reflects negatively on their review, just that in my uses, I've found different results. As far as the Toray 14lb breaking at 16lbs, you are absolutely correct. At the 2006 Bass-A-Thon, Ken Weibe and I borrowed the Izorline Rep's equipment and tested his Toray against my Sunline. His 14lb broke at 16.2 and my (Sunline FC Sniper) 14lb broke at 15.8. I rarely use the Shooter but it is supposed to be more abrasion resistant but I couldn't honestly confirm or deny that because I haven't used it enough to tell. They are both good lines and I would suggest using what you are most comfortable with and I believe that at Bass-A-Thon 2007, Angler's Marine still carried both Sunline and Toray.

Andy Caldwell
OutdoorProShop

Post by OutdoorProShop »

Toray is good stuff.. they make an excellent hollow braid as well.
schreecher2

Post by schreecher2 »

I have been using Toray for 2.5 years in the 5,8,10,12 lb lines, and it is excellent . Really have never had any problems with it, and the breaking strength is very good also. A bit of memory on the 12#, but the 10# is still usable on 3500 series spinning reels.
Schreech
Tight Lines,
schreech
bassmonster

Post by bassmonster »

Toray is the deal! The Soloram 25 lb is the best big fish swimbait line money can buy!!!
drew

Post by drew »

If Toray purchased the manufacturing rights from Dupont and built a facility in the US why would they go to Korea to produce the materials for their lines? Below is a paragraph from an article in Textile Word publication

Toray Acquires DuPont'sTeflon® Fiber Business In June 2002, Toray Fluorofibers (America) Inc. was formed after the company purchased the exclusive rights to the Teflon brand of fluorofibers from DuPont. DuPont sold this fiber business in order to further reduce its dependency on the textile fibers business and to permit the company to invest in newer businesses.Toray will produce the Teflon product in Decatur, Ala., at a new plant estimated to cost $30 million. Equipment from DuPonts Teflon fiber manufacturing operation in Wilmington will be moved to Decatur.W.L.

Cooch wrote:Toray is an excellent, high grade Fluorocarbon, coming out of the same Kohrea Chemical plant that makes Segaur, Sugoi and Sunline! These four are the creme of the crop coming out of Japan!
Splash

Post by Splash »

Kohrea, not Korea. Kohrea Chemical plant is in japan and where the highest grade of raw fluorocarbon material comes from. That is why your better fluorocarbon lines come from japan.

Andy Caldwell
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

i have used a lot of toray, and i like it! I like the florocarbon line but my favorite is the bawo. it is the only line i like besides braid or florocarbon. thr line memory is not there, it is smooth, soft, but stiff and sensitive. i think they go for about 20 bucks for 2 to 20lb test? 25 - 30- cost 5 bucks more. i use 25lb for my swimbaits. the 30lb is thin and strong! you will be suprised.

steven
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

drew wrote:If Toray purchased the manufacturing rights from Dupont and built a facility in the US why would they go to Korea to produce the materials for their lines? Below is a paragraph from an article in Textile Word publication
Toray Fluorocarbon Fishing line, was available before 2002. Toray, much like Sugoi, Sunline and Seguar, are really just product names and subsidiaries of a larger conglomerate company. As Splash mentions, Kohrea Chemicals of Japan, is a mass producer of the raw Fluorocarbon resin. I don't know if there is a tie between the company making the fishing line and this company that purchased Dupont's operations here. But you can rest assured, no Japanese company, is gonna bring their manufacturing process from over there, and plug it into a plant here. I mean think about, most manufacturing processes of products here in the US, are taken overseas that way, so I would actually ask ya the opposite question, "Why would they bring it to the US, when it's clearly cheaper to develope and produce over there?" The Toray company in the article you presented, just aquired a company process here, expanding their business model. I'm sure, their fishing line process was never moved to the US. As noted in the Article, it was DuPont'sTeflon® fiber buisness that was purchased, which produces a far wider array of products, not including fishing line.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

The Tackle Tour flouro tests showed that the top three lines are so close, it's not worth talking about.
One of the top three was Bass Pro Flouro, and it costs 1/3 of the premium lines in bulk.
Plus, it's more forgiving of kinks. Most of the time, you can pull the line hard at a kink, and it will just straighten out. When I fished Sunline, I knew if I had a kink, I had a real weak spot. Not with BPS flouro.
Before you invest in a lot of expensive line, try a spool of BPS. If you don't like it, you're not out much.
To me, it's worth giving it a try.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
drew

Post by drew »

Here are some facts that I was able to get from Toray and their US distributor. Its amazing what one can learn from a few phone calls. Toray is a very large corporation with 60-80 billion in annual sales. They have a tremendous amount of resources and engineer their own products. They are one of the top manufactures of textile and carbon fiber materials. I believe many of the fishing rods we use are made with their materials. The line is completely made in Japan in their own factory. Once again they are not a small company that outsources their materials and engineering. It also appears from their web page that they have a long history and maybe some type of partnership with Dupont. I will be testing some of the Bawo Super Finesse and will write a review.
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Splash wrote:Kohrea, not Korea. Kohrea Chemical plant is in japan and where the highest grade of raw fluorocarbon material comes from. That is why your better fluorocarbon lines come from japan.
Kureha Corporation, not Kohrea Chemical. They make everything from agrochemicals and pharmaceuticals to advanced fibers...
Splash

Post by Splash »

Wasn't sure on the spelling, just knew it wasn't Korea. LOL

Andy Caldwell
drew

Post by drew »

I asked Toray if Kureha was the source for their raw materials and they said no. Its all done in house and is proprietary.
fish_food wrote: Kureha Corporation, not Kohrea Chemical. They make everything from agrochemicals and pharmaceuticals to advanced fibers...
Splash

Post by Splash »

Then it is not the same line as I tested in 2006. Their raw material fluorocarbon came from Kureha at that time. So all my evaluations are no longer relavant. I know, I'm the only one that cares! :lol:

Andy Caldwell