Why No Seatbelts in BassBoats?

Brian

Why No Seatbelts in BassBoats?

Post by Brian »

Yea I know it would be a bad idea if you got upside down. But how often does that happen?
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
Quantum_Kid

Re: Why No Seatbelts in BassBoats?

Post by Quantum_Kid »

I don't see why not. They could even have a hydrostatic release for the belts if they went under water.

But then again how many people would actually wear them? :roll: :?

Scott
bpm2000

Post by bpm2000 »

i always wish there was one - im pretty light so when there are bumps on a plane I am holding on for dear life so i dont bump outta the boat!
mark poulson

Re: Why No Seatbelts in BassBoats? Good idea!*NM*

Post by mark poulson »

*NM*
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
g-man

Post by g-man »

I have always thought about that. I'm not hearing much about bass boats flipping over, but I'm hearing of people flying out of them. It would seem that to have a seat belt would make sense if it had some kinda release. There have been plenty of times when I was in ruff water wishing I had one.

Why do bass boats not have them?? Is it simply because of the boat flipping over. I don't know the statistics but in my oppinion it could save lives!
100% LL
Paul W

Post by Paul W »

I have wondered this many times myself. I think it would be a great idea and I'm sure we may see it in the future...atleast I would hope so. They can make a seatbelt that would be easy to get out of if the boat flips....the lap belts like they have on airline seats would be perfect. Just pull on the latch, and the belt comes apart....you could do that blindfolded!!

Paul W
Skunkedagain

Post by Skunkedagain »

One would think that a design that "gave way" could work. What I mean is like ski's, with enough force the belt would give way (boat flips over, causing enough force for the seat belt to give way). This would allow for the belt to keep people in the seat under normal bumbs but if the boat was to flip over, the belt would let go. Not sure if I'm being clear or not lol.
-Adam Paseman
Mark Pollard

Post by Mark Pollard »

Ever since I have been driving boats I thought this. Never have I came close to flipping a boat, but I have sure came close in getting tossed out of them.
Mark Pollard
Coldwell Banker Vinson Chase
www.Teampollard.net For Central Valley Real Estate...
www.gfmarine.com for Nitro, and Skeeter Bass Boats...
www.savephace.com
www.teampollardfishing.com
Phil Burgess

Post by Phil Burgess »

maybe even some sort of velcro strap would be enough
ILL RIDE TO HELL AND BACK WITH YOU BOYS!!!!!!!!!!
Leroy_B

Post by Leroy_B »

My X2 has some springy seats and in rough water it makes you bounce pretty good. I usually sit on my hat when i'm making a run but those seats bounce me up and out goes the hat!!! Seatbelts would be nice in some instances. I'm sure they're not there for some reason or another though.
FishaHallic

Post by FishaHallic »

I would think they don't have seatbelts because you would be better off being thrown from the boat. If a boat flips and is going at any speed your body will be stuck in that seat and the impact I would think could easily kill you. On the other hand if your boat flips at speed and you get thrown from boat you still could die but would have a better chance of just getting hurt.

If you ever see those drag boats run, when they wreck they are designed to release the driver and he goes flying with a drag shoot to slow him down. It's not the flipping of the boat that will kill you it's the sudden stop when you hit.

My .02 Dave
Florida transplant, miss my Bass fishing
Steve Reed

Post by Steve Reed »

I just think the dangers of if the boat flipped over are too great to put them in....

i know there are ways to make it released... but what if someone drowned due strictly to the seatbelt
Monsterfishingtackle.com
g-man

Post by g-man »

I understand the reasoning for not having seatbelts if the boat flips, and you get stuck. But at the same time people have died in cars while wearing a seatbelt too. One of my buddies friends died because of the belt. Just a thought..
100% LL
NelsonG

Post by NelsonG »

I used to race outboard runabouts and hydros,(ex national champion, world record holder and high points champion).
After one of the drivers died from drowning we were required to have a saftey lanyard with a break-away section so if the boat took you down you could could hopefully get back up to the surface.
We did not want to be stuck in a sinking boat.
Things happen fast, and you cannot always react quick enough to save yourself from from a spinout, blow over, or nose stuffing.
Best just to be a bit more carefull and slow it down when presented with a questionable situation.Think of your families.
If you just love to go as fast as possible join the APBA and try some real boat racing, It was a blast.
I got my speed fix from years of racing boats and motorcycles, now I just want to go fishing with an ocassional full throttle run, (just can't help it).
Hope for no more accidents,
Nelson gong
Make every day a good day!
Rod Rinta

Post by Rod Rinta »

Another thing to think about. Do you really want to be locked down to a seat when you get in some rough water? Think about some of the waves that we encounter, and how the impact from slamming down on a wave can send pain right up your spine. That's some pretty serious jarring, and I like to be able to use my legs to cusion the blow from those waves when I'm out in the rough stuff. A seatbelt would lock your butt right down on the seat, therefore eliminating the option of lifting your butt off the seat prior to impact. Just food for thought. It could keep your chiropractor in business though.
Rod Rinta
rmd

Post by rmd »

The reason why you do not want to be wearing a seat belt in a boat is in case the boat sink and you are knock unconsious wearing a life jacket is not going help you,Thats is the reason why drag boats do not have seat belts in there boats because they want you away from the boat and prop
SABP

Post by SABP »

In essence - the life jacket is the seat belt. Wear one and you have a good chance of making it. Don't have one on and you are taking a huge chance if you go overboard.
912nitro

Post by 912nitro »

I put seat belts in a 18 ft. bass boat i had.
I got them out of a Oldsmobile in a automobile wrecking yard.
They were even color corodinated 8) with the boat
The bolted to the seat base with no problems.
My wife wouldnt use them because of fear of being trapped if we turned over, even tho we never even came close to anything like that.
Most of the people who fished with me were ok with them, especially if we hit one of those Delta Destroyers wakes unexpedely.
I have had 6 fiberglass boats, & that was the only 1 i put the belts in.
For me, its the same as seatbelts in a car. Sometimes they save lives & sometimes thay take a life. Just depends on the the particulars of a given accident.
Wise men STILL seek Him....
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

I use Mend-it on the soles of my shoes.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Lance

Post by Lance »

The reason I wouldnt want seat belts..... If the boat were to flip over your head would be the first to hit the water. Im sure your spine would snap right around the heigh of your seat as the force of the water pushed your head and upper torso towards your motor. Id rather be thrown free with a vest. Sorry for making it sound graphic but I didnt see any other way to explain it.
Friendship is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

The boat builders would suffer greater liability with them, than without them.

Or we would have it as standard equipment right now.

The best thing I ever saw to stay in was a strap coming up from the middle seat, you hung on to with your hand. It kept your pulling force in a bicip curl, and you were curling towards the center of the boat. Not a handhold on the side, or dashboard, which doesn't help that much at all. The new footpads are pretty good, because you can push back against the seat, or you jam your foot into the side of a console on older models.

We are discussing design, and I am just feeling terrible about this.

Wear your PFDs and fasten the kill switch, everytime. Its your life saving equipment.

A.G.
Greg_Cornish

Post by Greg_Cornish »

Lance wrote:The reason I wouldnt want seat belts..... If the boat were to flip over your head would be the first to hit the water. Im sure your spine would snap right around the heigh of your seat as the force of the water pushed your head and upper torso towards your motor. Id rather be thrown free with a vest. Sorry for making it sound graphic but I didnt see any other way to explain it.
This is the truth!
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet, is that you can never know if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

g-man wrote:I have always thought about that. I'm not hearing much about bass boats flipping over, but I'm hearing of people flying out of them. It would seem that to have a seat belt would make sense if it had some kinda release. There have been plenty of times when I was in ruff water wishing I had one.

Why do bass boats not have them?? Is it simply because of the boat flipping over. I don't know the statistics but in my oppinion it could save lives!
I agree .. but cars flip over also.. and in water too?

Since speeds of our boats are increase to upwards of 80 mph .. it migt just be a good idea!
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Lets start by getting guys to wear their PFD's and Kill Switches.... wearing a seatbelt in a boat is like wearing a seat belt on a motor cycle :shock:
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Barry Watson

Post by Barry Watson »

In the 60's I lived on Mercer Island on Lake Washington ( Seattle)
We had the unlimited hydroplane races every year ( Gold Cup ) I think. those were the fastest boats in the world at that time Miss Budweiser was one of them.

I was told that it was important for the driver to be ejected when the boat flipped because if it shattered, the driver would be impaled by shards of fiberglass when the boat exploded. The seats were designed to hold the drivers in pretty tightly, but released them when the boat flipped or was impacted.
Oldlures
Brian

Post by Brian »

Barry Watson wrote:In the 60's I lived on Mercer Island on Lake Washington ( Seattle)
We had the unlimited hydroplane races every year ( Gold Cup ) I think. those were the fastest boats in the world at that time Miss Budweiser was one of them.

I was told that it was important for the driver to be ejected when the boat flipped because if it shattered, the driver would be impaled by shards of fiberglass when the boat exploded. The seats were designed to hold the drivers in pretty tightly, but released them when the boat flipped or was impacted.

That is understandable. But BassBoats dont get upside down very often. They run aground alot and throw driver and passenger out alot more than they get upside down.
[color=#0040FF]"Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."

-John Wayne[/color]
dockboy

Post by dockboy »

I don't think it wouldn't be a bad idea. Yes, greater liability is an issue. That's probably the reason why not. But I've almost been thrown out of a boat many times, both as a boater and non-boater. Last year at Castaic, my dad and I were fishing in a buddy's boat for fun. Unfournately, it also happened to be Memorial Day, which made the whole idea idiotic to begin with :lol: We hit a trough on the way out and I was hanging on for dear life, almost lost half my gear and my seat. I mean, I can't think of how useful it would be for a non-boater, especially in big tournies like Havasu or Mead and especially back East where the rides can be long and rough in the extreme. I'd much rather be strapped in and safe holding onto my gear than holding onto my seat like no tomorrow and risk losing a bunch of stuff in the process. Plus, I don't think be strapped in would be a problem if the boat flipped. Boat flipping is pretty uncommon in the hands of experienced boaters, and I believe if a belt was designed to release under the a certain amount of weight, it could be designed to work much like a killswitch mechanism for the boat.
kb

Post by kb »

Sorry guys but I had to jump in here. WE can't seem to get anglers to wear their lifejackets unless it is mandatory....do you think they are going to wear seatbelts....No I can hear them say "they slow me down"...."I was just making a short run" and all the other excuses.

Wear your lifejackets, slow down, pay attention and most of the bad news stories will go away.

kb
Fred Fullerton

Post by Fred Fullerton »

KB you said it right slow it down know one needs to max these boats out, as passenger I have had soom rough rides for no reason other than the boat could do it JUST SLOW DOWN !!!
And above all wear your life jacket