Has anyone towed with a V8 explorer

FISH2WIN55

Has anyone towed with a V8 explorer

Post by FISH2WIN55 »

I have a 520 Ranger that I pull with a F350. I just had a baby so I need to get a vechicle that the wife can put the baby in. She loves the ford explorer but I'm not sure how it will pull. It is rated to over 7000 pounds but the wheel base seems short to me. Any thoughts would be great.
Thanks,
Roger
Scott L

Re: Has anyone towed with a V8 explorer

Post by Scott L »

I towed my Triton TR21 (tandem trailer) for several years to Shasta, CL, Delta, etc. with a '97 Explorer V6 SOHC that at the time rated about 5hp less than the V8 just fine. One big help was the tow pkg (4.10 rear end, tranny cooler) plenty of torque.

You will notice the shorter wheel base, but it will tow it and I am assuming your trailer has brakes. That is really the big question for most tow vehicles...can it stop it? If your trailer didn't have brakes, you would want something bigger.

Scott
Hardshell

Post by Hardshell »

My wife tows my Legend Alpha 211 with her 6 cylinder 2004 Explorer Sport to our tournament sites. Does it pretty easy however the mileage drops somewhat, probably to 12 mpg.

Seeya
Hardshell
bob campbell

Post by bob campbell »

i tow my 19' fisher with my 2004 explorer with a v8 it has no problem pulling it
gabuelhaj

Post by gabuelhaj »

I towed an 18 foot Ranger with a Ford Explorer and it was a slow death! Plus, I kept up on all maintenance which probably prolonged the sure death of towing, but not by much! Your 520 is a much heavier, and larger, rig than what I had. That vehicle will be overwhelmed by your 520 rig. I don't know how or where Ford gets their ratings and numbers but in real life, it's NOT the same!

But, if you do get the Explorer, make sure you keep up on all maintenance, especially the tranny.

And, that short wheel base does give a bucking-bronco type of ride. Your wife may or may not like it! :oops:

I'd keep that 350 and see if I could find a smaller car for the family....

Good luck!
Glenn Abuelhaj
Jason C.

Post by Jason C. »

I tow and or towed my 373V Ranger(18ft) with our V6 explorer and it worked fine. Also we have towed my dads 19ft Skeeter with it again with no problems. If you are worried about the power from the explorer try going up to the Expedition or Excursion. One of those three should get the job done just fine! I hope this helps!

Tight Lines,
Jason Conser
Winning Isn't Everything...But Wanting To IS!
Tight Lines, Jason C.
jasonconser@yahoo.com 925-727-4077
[color=orange] www.dobynsrods.com [/color]
[color=blue] www.inland-marine.com [/color]
XMAN

Post by XMAN »

keep the 350 after you run the numbers ofcourse-milage on big vehicle vs smaller-wear on both engines--cost of owning each-is one paid off--then tell wife she doesn't have any say in it because you are the babysitter now and will teach the baby how to back the truck up on the boat ramps then park the truck for ya--fish lessons are next--now that would be bad a$$----xman
Chris B.

Post by Chris B. »

I pulled a 17' Nitro/125 hp for a year on my 98 Ford Explorer (V6). Two observations:

(1) the Explorer's brakes were way too weak to provide enough stopping power even for the relatively light load (discs in front, drums in rear). Even with trailer brakes I would be nervous. I'm now using a 2004 F-150 and noticing a huge improvement--much safer.

(2) the auto transmission eventually gave out due to the extra load (I could give you details on symptoms if you like).

Personally, I found the Explorer to not be a good long term towing solution. Get somthing beefier if you want it to last.
FISH2WIN55

Post by FISH2WIN55 »

Thank you guys for your input. I think we are going to look at a 4 door Tundra.
Thanks,
Roger
XMAN

Post by XMAN »

I wish it was a bit bigger and could be a very wise choice--the second year model should have i hope have its problems with the 4x4 worked out----xman
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

How about an F150, or an F250, with the back seats? I don't know what they call it, maybe the Eddie Bauer model, but my friend tows his big boat with his Eddie Bauer with no problem.
General rule of thumb in towing is the tow vehicle should weigh twice what it's towing.
If you get the tow package, and check what it's rated for, so the brakes are big enough, you should be good.
Otherwise, get a Toyota Fit, or whatever it's called. Cheap, gas efficient, and safe. Plus, I've been told, it's "cute".
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY