Lowrance 38c or Humminbird 797c

Narcdogk9

Lowrance 38c or Humminbird 797c

Post by Narcdogk9 »

OK I can get either a Lowrance 38c HD NVB (pre loaded with Navionics maps) or the Humminbird 797c2 SI side scan with the navioncs chip this is about $1050. The Lowrance is new in the box for $1200. Which would you get. I know the Humminbird has a 5" screen and the Lowrance has 8.4" screen. But is the side scan a better deal? I'm local and fish Delta, Clear Lake, berryessa etc. Thanks for you opinion...

Rod
It was cuff'm and stuff'm. Now it's catch'm and release'm
tunaman

Re: Lowrance 38c or Humminbird 797c

Post by tunaman »

Where are you mounting it? That is the main criteria, IMHO. If at the console, you'll need to get the 797 as close to eye level as possible, to be truly useful (again IMHO). SI is an incredible advantage (once more IMHO), but you have to be able to read it to gain the value. The 797 is a pretty small screen for SI, but passable for navigation and sonar purposes.

OTOH, the 38C is an extremely readable screen... I have one mounted at my bow and it is an excellent unit.

Good luck,
Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
StogieMan

Post by StogieMan »

I dont own a Hummingbird, nor do I know anyone who does. I too have read all about the side imaging. As great as it is supposed to be; Two things always get metioned: 1) You can't use the side image above fast idle. 2) The transducer is external and running at speed gives a marginal reading.

Regarding the x38HD, I have one and think it's pretty awesome. Real easy to see (obviously) paints a great picture, has every lake pre-loaded and even gives me tidal info while in the Delta.
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

I had the 797 in my dash, and now run the 1197 on a RAM mount on the console.

The SI will actually come in better than most realize at higher speeds, especially if it isn't scanning the full 720' (360' each side). It is plenty fast enough to give good readings and allow covering a sizable area in a short amount of time.

That is my experience with them.
Roger
Denny Welch

Post by Denny Welch »

I have the Humminbird 797C2SI mounted in the console and I love it. The screen is small and takes some getting used to, but I think it opens up a whole new realm of fishing opportunities. With practice you can identify fish under docks. It takes a lot of the guess work away. It identifies structure from over 200 feet away and then takes you there with a couple key strokes. I like that unit so much I just had a 787 installed in the bow.

I'm sure the Lowrance unit is good, especially with the larger screen. Personally, I can't imagine not having the side imaging capabilities. To me, the trade off in screen size versus side imaging is worth it.

Just my opinion.
Until next time,

www.dennywelch.com

Denny
StogieMan

Post by StogieMan »

Good information, AND no one blasted anyone else.
Go figure :lol:
schreecher2

Post by schreecher2 »

I won a Hummingbird 797c2SI in a contest, and absolutely can't believe the unit. We were fishing this lake that had underwater roadbeds, and I could drive the boat with the roadbed showing on one side, and then I found the bridge that was there, and could see the creekchannel that was under the bridge. Schwing! Just simply amazing! You can spend hours on the water searching for underwater stuff, instead of days. As far as seeing fish, it is a bit tough if there is a ton of stump and logs, at least for me.
Tight Lines,
schreech
aNNieNsaLTIE

Post by aNNieNsaLTIE »

does the hummingbird give tidal information?
Denny Welch

Post by Denny Welch »

I know that some Humminbird models do provide tidal information, but my 797 does not.
Until next time,

www.dennywelch.com

Denny