Castaic rumor

palmdale-shane

Castaic rumor

Post by palmdale-shane »

Has anyone else heard that Castaic will be down 100 ft by Dec?
Rick G

Re: Castaic rumor

Post by Rick G »

Pumping the water into DVL so we can launch. Pretty please. Rick G.
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Rick G wrote:Pumping the water into DVL so we can launch. Pretty please. Rick G.
Sorry Rick...I think your S.O.L. LOL :twisted:
ERICK PRADO...Peace
Kenneth Haring

Post by Kenneth Haring »

I was just there last week and looks like plenty of water, I have seen it alot lower. Ken H
buddy brown

Post by buddy brown »

Soon all Tourneys will be on Pudd :lol:
smpboy

Post by smpboy »

the aba pudd region is gonna outdraw most circuits this year :lol:
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Looks like they're releasing about 2250 acre feet a day, which is their average use load, and not getting any replacement water.
Since the source for refilling Castaic is the Cal. Aquaduct, which draws water from the northern part of the state, and there's a drought up there, too, looks like the lake will continue to drop a foot a day.
At least until it starts raining again.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Derrek Stewart

Post by Derrek Stewart »

Just curious, the water is dropping at Castaic but Pyramid is full pool. Why is that?
Greg E.

Post by Greg E. »

Pyramid is water storage for power generation. It is fed out everyday to the Castaic Power plant and into the Castaic Afterbay and then pumped back up to Pyramid everynight. It has to remain at a minimum level to insure the power generation process.

As far as Castaic, I think they are planning more work on the intakes and need to lower for that reason, not lack of water per se.

Filling it back up may be a problem though.

Greg E.
Bass Pro Shopper

Post by Bass Pro Shopper »

The super-scoopers swooping down and getting water from Castaic to help put out those wildfires last week added to the drop as well. Probably not enough to be all that noticable, but the lake still would have had a little more water now had it not been for those fires.

I fished Castaic yesterday, and was surprised to see the lake being drawn down so early in the season. I thought that wouldn't start for another month or so. Fishing action was awful too.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's more serious than that!
Homer

Post by Homer »

They are planning on doing a little more maintenance work at the lake. At the present time the lake is about 33’ down. Max is expected to be less than 40’ total.
"Weigh'em & Pay'em"
Mike Iljin
Castaic Bass CLub
Ron C

Post by Ron C »

I sent an e-mail to Sr. Lifeguard John Ragsdale at Castaic Lake and asked him about the rumored draw down. This is his reply, which he said was ok to share:

"The draw down was slated to be at least 25 feet. This morning (Sunday, 10-19-08 ) we were at 1478.26 feet above sea level as opposed to 1505 or so that we averaged this summer. We expect the water to continue to go down for another month. If it continues at the same rate I expect we will be down about 50'. The DWP generating turbines add water at times that slows the draw down. There is no other info available at this time on this and feel free to share what I have so far."
Homer

Post by Homer »

Update on water situation During our F.O.C.L. meeting last night, Lori Bennett , Lake Superintendent, informed us that different water agencies are using their allotments now and the lake is expected to drop a total of 80' by January. Water levels will also be effected by rainfall. More info will be posted as we are updated. I called the lake again this mornning to confirm these numbers.
"Weigh'em & Pay'em"
Mike Iljin
Castaic Bass CLub
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I spoke to someone at the State Water Project today, and he said, basically, that, unless there is rainfall, the lake will continue to drop.
The MWD is taking their maximum allotment, and the upriver sources, aside from the Delta, are so dirty they need lots of Delta water to dilute the water enough for it to be usable. Right now, the Delta water isn't available, so no water is coming down from the north right now.
Kind of a double whammy, but the whole state is in a drought, so it's probably going to continue for some time.
Pray for El Nino!
Maybe Gerry is right, and it's time to think about the salt.
CLEAN AND DRY
palmdale-shane

Post by palmdale-shane »

So that's 20' shy of the last draw down?
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

According to the SWP guy, there's another 50,000 acre feet drawdown planned for this year. That's 20'+-. So, with the 30' it's down now, that would make it 50' down by New Years.
If there's no rain, the lake will continue to drop.
Full pool is 1515' elevation. He said minimum operating level is 1320' elevation. 195' down from full pool!
Like I said, pray for rain.
CLEAN AND DRY
palmdale-shane

Post by palmdale-shane »

So Castaic will look like Perris…should be fun. :D Maybe now I won’t have to run around looking for fish since they will all be concentrated in one muddy pool.
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

mark poulson wrote:Pray for El Nino!
Gonna have to pray really hard, as it is not in the NOAA's crystal ball at this juncture. Last I checked a couple of weeks ago, they were not anticipating an El Nino (wet West) or La Nina (dry West) event this year.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
Kelly Ripa

Post by Kelly Ripa »

I remember rain on halloween on most of our wet years. Better get that Dobyns raindance shake'n and a drum beat'n if you want a wet one this year. I thought we were in for an early rain this year but if it's off by a week or two then it becomes 5 and a glorious December and the fish come up in anticipation and it either RAINS or it doesn't. This coastal area of California has always seemed to me to be like India.....Either monsoons or nothing. When ya get nothing it can be bad. Profound I'm sure ... :lol:
LET'S GO BRANDON
Remember ...What the Dormouse said...Feed your head!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Kinda gives a whole new meaning to wet dream. I guess I'm showing my age. :lol:
CLEAN AND DRY
keithcant

Post by keithcant »

palmdale-shane wrote:So Castaic will look like Perris…should be fun. :D Maybe now I won’t have to run around looking for fish since they will all be concentrated in one muddy pool.
.................and Perris will soon be lookin' like El Mirage

.....How do you catch whatever the Salton Sea has??
"The Gods do not deduct from man's alloted span the hours spent in fishing"--
Proverb Ancient Babylonia.
palmdale-shane

Post by palmdale-shane »

The future looks so promising…… :shock:

It’s a wonderful thought that my boys won’t be able to fish like I have once they’re adults.

Peta will have the ocean off limits and the lakes will be dry. Something to look forward to for sure….
some guy

Post by some guy »

the world is coming to an end.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
palmdale-shane

Post by palmdale-shane »

The sky is falling!!! :twisted:
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

[quote="mark poulson"]
Pray for El Nino!

the main reason I don't do the salt any more....I'm a chummer....still fished my behind off....man i turn green, and start yakking...but i do it all while chunking and winding...but the day we get an el nino....im back to salt....yakking my way to the yellow tail :D ....if it swims...i just want to stick my hook in it...that's what i live for...fishing and family :D
ERICK PRADO...Peace
palmdale-shane

Post by palmdale-shane »

Darkman......Did you fish the 97-98 El Nino?
Those were good times.....Two more years and we should hopefully have another good one.
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

palmdale-shane wrote:Darkman......Did you fish the 97-98 El Nino?
Those were good times.....Two more years and we should hopefully have another good one.
yes I did..one word....phenomenal :D
ERICK PRADO...Peace
fishinman

Post by fishinman »

in the winter the lower the water and continues to drop the better it gets. now when they raise the water as to its speed can turn off the bite or even cause a fish kill! As long as I can launch I'm a happy fishinman
SpookFreak

Post by SpookFreak »

I could not agree with you more. I actually like Castaic
with the lower water level there is a whole lot of humps
down there that are to deep to hold fish when the lake is so full.

I know we all like lots of water in our lakes but the lower levels
make it more interesting and challenging.

just my opinion