The First Rally

stickbait

The First Rally

Post by stickbait »

How many folks here where at the very first rally .. and what do you remember about it .

I believe Jim Wilson won .. it was muddy as all get out when we weighted in on the bank south of the launch and it was out of Orwood.. Someones boat was mudded out big time ..

What a blast we all had !!
eagle123777

Re: The First Rally

Post by eagle123777 »

my trim motor went out on the ramp and couldnt lift the motor till sTony found a screwdriver to release the emergency lock......glad i had those extra socks.....jack
Hardshell

Post by Hardshell »

I fished with Nico and Dana out of the Tin Rocket. Butch the Bass Fishing dog was there also, none of us caught a fish, but I had a bite :D .

Hardshell
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

That was the very first Nutcase Classic, Mark! Out of Orrowood, and we all had to fish inside Disco Bay Somewhere. Most of us had never even met, prior to that event in person. Foggy as all git out in the morning, I had Brat & Hoffman the first half and Nico the second. Damn we had a good BBQ at that one!
Last edited by Cooch on Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hipster

Post by Hipster »

Anybody remember "TOAD" Crocket???

I know he was there, he tried to get me to go. He was my best friend back at the time. Sure miss him and wonder what happened to him.
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

Mark, I heard that name a lot when I first got on NCBF, never met him though, at least not that I know of..Heck you were posting on the site long befor I was and it wasn't until two years ago that I finally got to meet you..At last years Rally getting to fish a session with you was right up there in big events in my lifetime..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Smileee

Post by Smileee »

I was there, fished out of a brand new Ranger -
Fred, just took delivery the week before - his boat was the muddiest -
Dana had some awsome "clam chowder that was made by ???"
do any of you remember -
Cooch makes the best Italian Sauages.
There was chilli too.

Smileee

[quote="stickbait"]How many folks here where at the very first rally .. and what do you remember about it .

I believe Jim Wilson won .. it was muddy as all get out when we weighted in on the bank south of the launch and it was out of Orwood.. Someones boat was mudded out big time ..

What a blast we all had !![/quote]
Smileee
FredP

Post by FredP »

I swore that anyone else gets in the boat had to have clean booties. Took me 3 days to get the mud out.
That was a very fun event, the fellowship and food was to die for. I think Dana swore that she made that chowder by hand. What ever happened to those sausages anyhow Cooch?
Smilee, haven't seen you in ages. What you been up to?

By the way when was that nutcase? Cooch said go fish a jig then he used a crank. Never could figure that out.

Fred Preston
sTony

Post by sTony »

Keep in mind we're talking about the first Nutcase Classic and it was January 1998. The first Rally didn't happen until the following year.

I remember TopCat convincing us at Lake Amador that we needed to blow things up a bit and do a Rally. Clear Lake was the first Rally and Mark 'Stickbait' Seaters won it.

sTony
Smileee

Post by Smileee »

Hi, Fred:
I had some health issues and cut way back on fishing. Then I learned to play golf and really loving it. Not good at it, but still love it. I still have my boat, but it only sees water about 8 times a year (primarily fishing the Delta).
Happy Holidays and Good Health to you,

Smileee
Smileee
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

Hey Smille ... whats up ???
Smileee wrote:I was there, fished out of a brand new Ranger -
Fred, just took delivery the week before - his boat was the muddiest -
Dana had some awsome "clam chowder that was made by ???"
do any of you remember -
Cooch makes the best Italian Sauages.
There was chilli too.

Smileee

stickbait wrote:How many folks here where at the very first rally .. and what do you remember about it .

What a blast we all had !!
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

FredP wrote:I swore that anyone else gets in the boat had to have clean booties. Took me 3 days to get the mud out.
That was a very fun event, the fellowship and food was to die for. I think Dana swore that she made that chowder by hand. What ever happened to those sausages anyhow Cooch?
Smilee, haven't seen you in ages. What you been up to?

By the way when was that nutcase? Cooch said go fish a jig then he used a crank. Never could figure that out.

Fred Preston
Hey Fred .. how goes it .. ya .. I remember now .. you had a bunch of mud in your rig .. I think old santora.. was tracking mud everywhere!
Gator

Post by Gator »

I am in the process of creating Nutcase pages with photos that I have. Once I have them done, I'll ask for fill in photos/info so we can build a historical file!
TonyB

Post by TonyB »

Hey folks

I was there at the first NCC out of Orwood. Got the CRS (can't remember stuff) disease but I think Todd "Toad" Crockett fished with me one session. Thinking Wolfeman was my other partner but I dunno for sure. Think I caught one dink but remember Shortcake's chowder and Cooch's sausages afterwards. Thanks for bringing back some fond memories, Mark. Take care everyone and Happy Holidays all!

TonyB
Pat

Post by Pat »

I was there, January 3rd 1998. Had a buncha mud in my boat too. Fished with Peter and Bill for one session. We had to fish all three bays at Disco like the BASS Megabucks events.

The folks at the Orwood restaurant had to be convinced to open up early on a Sunday. The Micster came out of the restaurant as I was first coming in the morning and I thought he was Cooch. Man was he insulted :lol: Food sure was great afterwards. Clam Chowder, Sausitsas and French bread.

Wow, this thread is like old home week, Fred, Smillee, TonyB, Stickbait, Hardshell sure brings out some great memories.

Pat
Last edited by Pat on Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

FredP wrote:By the way when was that nutcase? Cooch said go fish a jig then he used a crank. Never could figure that out.
Fred Preston
Howdy there Fred, that was actually the Second Nutcase on the Delta, January 1999. I had Zeke and we wuz a lil late fer the first weigh-in, missed the weigh-in and partner pairing for the second flight(mostly cause I didn't wanna show Seaters that big fish crank bite! :wink: ), then went out and cranked two fer 14 ta win it! HAR! HAR! HAR!
Wally

Post by Wally »

WoW, talk about memories. I remember it like yesterday. Course I can't remember yesterday either, LoL. I remember Dana's clam chowder and Cooch's sausage. I think I brought potatoe salad.

Didn't we have three sessions of fishing? Cause I remember fishing with Stickbait, TonyB and Pat. TonyB had his brand new boat and was affraid it would rain and get it wet, LoL

I think mickster pulled some kind of trick or something about winning a rod? Maybe a snoopy rod?

I do remember the cold and mud also.

It was a great time and really met some great people

And then there was the first ProTeen. Another great memory.
gofish, Wally
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

Cooch wrote:
FredP wrote:By the way when was that nutcase? Cooch said go fish a jig then he used a crank. Never could figure that out.
Fred Preston
Howdy there Fred, that was actually the Second Nutcase on the Delta, January 1999. I had Zeke and we wuz a lil late fer the first weigh-in, missed the weigh-in and partner pairing for the second flight(mostly cause I didn't wanna show Seaters that big fish crank bite! :wink: ), then went out and cranked two fer 14 ta win it! HAR! HAR! HAR!
ya ... you got lucky .. if I remember right I was on your tail !!

You were tossing them 6x red bombers with big gaint rear hooks and you got lucky !!
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

Pat wrote:I was there, January 3rd 1998. Had a buncha mud in my boat too. Fished with Peter and Bill for one session. We had to fish all three bays at Disco like the BASS Megabucks events.

The folks at the Orwood restaurant had to be convinced to open up early on a Sunday. The Micster came out of the restaurant as I was first coming in the morning and I thought he was Cooch. Man was he insulted :lol: Food sure was great afterwards. Clam Chowder, Sausitsas and French bread.

Wow, this thread is like old home week, Fred, Smillee, TonyB, Stickbait, Hardshell sure brings out some great memories.

Pat
ya kind of cool .. eh Pat ??? I think next we should talk about the "Top Six tournament this club won!!
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

Gator wrote:I am in the process of creating Nutcase pages with photos that I have. Once I have them done, I'll ask for fill in photos/info so we can build a historical file!

RIGHT ON !!!!!!!
Pat

Post by Pat »

Wally wrote:WoW, talk about memories. I remember it like yesterday. Course I can't remember yesterday either, LoL. I remember Dana's clam chowder and Cooch's sausage. I think I brought potatoe salad.

Didn't we have three sessions of fishing? Cause I remember fishing with Stickbait, TonyB and Pat. TonyB had his brand new boat and was affraid it would rain and get it wet, LoL

I think mickster pulled some kind of trick or something about winning a rod? Maybe a snoopy rod?

I do remember the cold and mud also.

It was a great time and really met some great people

And then there was the first ProTeen. Another great memory.
Oh Yeah Wally! We did fish together. If I remember right, Micster brought a Loomis rod to raffle off for charity. But he ended up throwing both halves of the tickets he bought into the hat. When one was drawn out, nobody had the number. Then he was convinced he had that number, but could not find his ticket. We finally figured out what happened, but I don't remember how we decided who should have the rod.

Pat
BS'r

Post by BS'r »

I think the history is the first two Nutcase Classics were in 1998. Jim won the first, Seaters the second at CL. The 3rd Nutcase in Jan 1999, was won with the Dropshot in Italian slough(me). The 4th nutcase was on Folsom and won with a dropshot(me). Duh Jig guy won 5th on Clearlake and Cooch won the next year back at Orwood in 2000.

After that, I ran the winter NCC's at McClure(Cooch), Melonies, DonPedro, (Joe Bruce won both) and Berryessa (Famous kid that wins everything now as non-boater)

Angel won the Summer Rally on the Delta in 2003
I won the summer one on the Delta in 2004

Gator came to help Tony around then and should have the rest of the data somewhere.

That was some fun..

Back then the only posts were during the week as everyone fished the weekends. Very few posts on weekends and Mondays we all told stories of how we did it.

I remember learning to dropshot in 1999. I learned from Guercio, who learned from Ish, who got it from Aaron. Thanks again Tom
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

You are missing one Bob! I won my first Delta event out of River's End, We ran in the fog all the way to the same wall in Disco each half! I only had 30 minutes ta fish each session! It is 6 fer me, 3 Delta and 3 lakes, I'll recall the specifics of that 3rd Delta to help jostle yer memory! HAR! HAR! HAR!
Gator

Post by Gator »

Alright - I have the new page started - you can see it at http://www.westernbass.com/shared2/nutcase/

Currently only NCC1 is posted but I am working on more. If you guys have any pics, stories, etc to add to the NCC's as they are posted, please let me know.
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Hey Gator... the date is January 3, not December 3 as it says on your new Rally page... :lol:

Roger
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

TonyB,
Great to see you posting. Hope you can make to the Winter NutCase on the 3rd.

I fished the second Winter NutCase event with you out of Orwood on a day that had fog as thick as chowder. I fished the second session with Chris Anderson.

It would be great to see you at the NutCase on the 3rd.
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

And Bob taught me how to dropshot when he was TopNut. Showed me the spot, showed me how to rig the thing and gave me the grub. Thanks Dude.
- Wolfeman
Gator

Post by Gator »

tunaman wrote:Hey Gator... the date is January 3, not December 3 as it says on your new Rally page... :lol:

Roger
Jeez - you want everything perfect or what? See what I get for trying to work on that and a problem on another site!!! Doesn't work very well!
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

I remember the one out of River's End (Del's at that time). I fished with Jason Pardini. It was so wet and cold that we went to the cafe at Disco Bay and got coffee. Jason caught a nice striper but someone else caught a bigger one to win OddNut.
Man, it rained like hell. I remember all of us crowding under a tarp. That was the first time I had one of those great sausistas (sp) that Cooch brought. Still look forward to those.
- Wolfeman
StogieMan

Post by StogieMan »

I was there, sorta kind of. Turns out I was there at the same time with my wife, who never goes out with me but chose a cold, foggy, winter day to give it a go.

When we got off the water she said look, some people are having a party in the parking lot and it looks like fun!

You did look like you were having some serious fun during the post game BBQ. :lol:
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

Wolfeman wrote:And Bob taught me how to dropshot when he was TopNut. Showed me the spot, showed me how to rig the thing and gave me the grub. Thanks Dude.
- Wolfeman

GRUB .... GRUB.....!!!!!!!!!! he always told us he was using a worm ... jeeezz... Bob whats up with that ?? No wonder i could never catch em :lol: :lol:
Gator

Post by Gator »

Del's was a blast - I think Sean Graf caught a Salmon on a crankbait - I took the salmon home :-D
Peter Lloyd

Post by Peter Lloyd »

Pat wrote:I was there, January 3rd 1998. Had a buncha mud in my boat too. Fished with Peter and Bill for one session. We had to fish all three bays at Disco like the BASS Megabucks events.

Pat
Yeah, I don't think my Dad and I made the first Nutcase event. Our first event was the Amador Nutcase.

Wow, I really miss those cold, foggy days on the Delta.
DDawg

Post by DDawg »

Hey Bob,
I think I ran that McClure one where Cooch went with 20# & started the 1 ton craze.
Have (or had) some pics somewhere if I can find them.

My first NCC was Folsom.
1 session cause it was so nasty.
Dave
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

stickbait wrote:
Wolfeman wrote:And Bob taught me how to dropshot when he was TopNut. Showed me the spot, showed me how to rig the thing and gave me the grub. Thanks Dude.
- Wolfeman

GRUB .... GRUB.....!!!!!!!!!! he always told us he was using a worm ... jeeezz... Bob whats up with that ?? No wonder i could never catch em :lol: :lol:
Yeah, an Iovinno S20 is what he ALWAYS told us huh Mark! I knew his hair wasn't red like that from birth, from all the fibs! HAR! HAR! HAR!
BS'r

Post by BS'r »

Hey Dave, We all rememebr what Cooch did at MCClure, he was popping off all week about one rod and 20lb test and backed it up by spanking us good that day. Remember the Stergeon Kid, I had him in the morning and he and Cooch we're very close.

Did we do MCClure twice? Joe Bruce won twice on the Motherloads
Back to back I think...

Now I remember Del's. Carlos was Dan's 100% partner and also member the West Vally Bassmasters for many years. Carlos was a good fisherman, Dan's good friend and part of the Del's restocking program. We fished most of the club events out of Del's back then, so Mictser could find the big fish we dumped in the following week. I think Cooch and Micster stuffed Tony's NCBF boat with like 60 lbs' back then, that was huge. I think Dan took the pictures from the hill. Micster set a record weight and Cooch let him do his thing didn't ask for the front for his 1/2 of the day.

On the dropshot- it was an Iovino 6" straight tail, it just caught 8-10lb bags but could catch 20 fish per day. I was never a fan of skinny worms on the Delta. The 5"grub could catch 12-18 lb bag, use a 2/0 hook ,but get less bites. I remember fishing 5 days straight in the freezing fog working with dialing the differences in. Kalin grub pumpkin with green flake (bulk bin at delta bait and tackle) was a good bait for 3- 4 lbs fish.
Smileee

Post by Smileee »

Hi, Mark Seaters:

How's the Mrs. ?
I think of you two all the time. Actually, I think about all the Nut Cases from #1 and Amador. I forgot my sleeping bags and Pat offered space in his motor home for the Mrs. & me. It is truly amazing that a bunch of strangers would have such generousty and compassion.

Hey, Balmont (miss spelling ?):
You still out there, pulling those draft horses ? Here is another generous heart. Opened his house and pound to the Nut Cases' children.

Smileee
Smileee
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

Kalin grub pumpkin with green flake (bulk bin at delta bait and tackle) was a good bait for 3- 4 lbs fish.

Good one Bob. Hopefully they bought that. 8)
- Wolfeman
Jim Wilson

Post by Jim Wilson »

Nice memories. If I recall, the first nutcase classic started out as a post about a one bait tourney on the Delta to match faces with names. Look how far we have progressed.

Every time I look at that plaque, it brings back those memories. I believe we split up Disco for the tourney. Anywhere but the marina side for the first half and the marina side for the second.

Fished with Scott (don't remember his last name) the first half and caught our fish throwing crankbaits in Jago. Second half I fished with Bob W. and black/blue jigs along the long riprap was the ticket.

That was back when NCBF was about sharing tips and stories. Oh how I wish we could return to that.

Jim Wilson
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

Jim Wilson wrote:
That was back when NCBF was about sharing tips and stories. Oh how I wish we could return to that.

Jim Wilson
It can brother, the collective we just need to check the egos at the door, not take ourselves or our fishing too seriously and BOOM there we go.
- JaJa Jigs - Get THUNKED
Links to Check Out -
https://www.instagram.com/jm_ash/
https://www.bestbasstournaments.com/
Jason P

Post by Jason P »

I remember that day Wolfeman freakin cold. I think that was the best cup of coffee I have ever had and I don't drink it. Going back to the Classic I remember driving up with John Stamatis to clearlake all pumped up, thats where I met Ddawg, The California Kid" Justin Lucas" and tons of other great people. MY first draw was with sTony in the NCBF.com Champion. Those were some good times that John and I would talk about all year till the next one. Ahh Great Times..........

Jason Pardini
Scott V.

Post by Scott V. »

stickbait wrote:[ya kind of cool .. eh Pat ??? I think next we should talk about the "Top Six tournament this club won!!
I remember the Top Six tournament. Did I miss a thread on that?

Scott V.