cheapest way to ship rods??

lmartinez

cheapest way to ship rods??

Post by lmartinez »

what is cheapest way to ship rods i have a 7ft rod that i need to ship off is a pvc type tube good i used all my cardboard tubes just wondering thanks len 8)
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Re: cheapest way to ship rods??

Post by blkdog812 »

pvc is the best, but card board works too. either way pad the ends. use the shipper ur the happiest with and [b]insure it[/b]
Never argue with an idiot; He'll beat you to death with stupidity.
I AM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR STUPIDITY,
BUT, WHY DON'T WE JUST TAKE THE SAFETY LABELS OFF OF EVERYTHING
AND LET THE PROBLEM SOLVE ITSELF?"
FR0G

Post by FR0G »

I've also heard of using plastic drain piping like this:

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get'ch ya some!
whazup

Post by whazup »

Four inch ABS pipe. Lowes or Home Depot.
basswipe

Post by basswipe »

maybe a local tackle shop will sell a cardboard rod holder for cheap or give it away
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Regular cardboard tubes are lighter, thus cheaper. I have saved most of the tubes I've received over the last several years, and while they take up some room they're worth it when you have to ship (or move).

USPS is cheapest, as far as shipping goes as I recall.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
BassManDan

Post by BassManDan »

Well I don't know how recent Tunaman's experince is, but I always found that USPS was the most expensive. I was always a fan of FedEX.

Cardboard is obviously the lightest and therefore cheapest to ship, but if it's just one rod then some thin walled 2" PVC would work.
BassManDan - 1997 Stratos 295 Pro Elite

"In the spirit of akido, sh-sh-sh-shaaa."
-Dale Gribble from TV's "King of the Hill"

"It would be the best of all possible worlds were it not for religion."
- John Adams, 1776
Gene Buchholz

Post by Gene Buchholz »

I don't know where you live but if you are in the area of the Hook Line & Sinker I have extra tubes, you can have one.
Gene
[img]http://www.westernbass.com/shared/sponsors/468x60/hookadban.gif[/img]
lmartinez

Post by lmartinez »

thanks for all the great info 8) i wish i were closer to your store i live in watsonville but thanks for the offer of the rod tubes len
Jeff C.

Post by Jeff C. »

I've had a rod broken by UPS that was shipped in a cardboard tube. From that time on, I've always shipped in PVC and never had a problem.

I believe USPS is cheaper than UPS, but I would check the online shipping calculators of each to be sure. Just make sure the calculator accounts for the fact that the package will be 7' long, cuz that will add a lot to the price.

Jeff
blkdog812
Location: "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be

Post by blkdog812 »

way to step out to help someone out. thats what is called customer service. thank gene
Never argue with an idiot; He'll beat you to death with stupidity.
I AM NOT SAYING THERE SHOULD BE CAPITAL PUNISHMENT FOR STUPIDITY,
BUT, WHY DON'T WE JUST TAKE THE SAFETY LABELS OFF OF EVERYTHING
AND LET THE PROBLEM SOLVE ITSELF?"
g-man

Post by g-man »

The cardboard tube is lighter and cheaper, but the pvc tube is safer, and stronger. Pad both ends with foam, insure the rod, and use Fed Ex, they are the best for a little extra.
100% LL
Pat

Post by Pat »

If anyone is in the Marysville-Yuba City area, I have a bunch of PVC and a few cardboard tubes that can be had for the taking. Just send me a private message if you want them

Pat
programgeeks

Post by programgeeks »

I'm in Sacramento and have plenty of PVC pipes and cardboard tubes to spare.

As for the carbord tubes being lighter, I'm not so sure about that. The cardboard tubes I have are approximately 5lbs a piece!
Last edited by programgeeks on Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Thomas

Post by Mike Thomas »

PVC tube and lots of bubble wrap.....next best is a cardboard tube. As afar as choices of shipping I've heard from more than one source that Fed-Ex is the way to go
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Jeff,
I've had both UPS and FedEx break a cardboard tube, and the rod inside it. Both time, the store I bought the rods from sent me another, no problem.
You have to really try to break one. I wonder what they think is inside that tube when they try to bend it to fit into a plane or truck? Maybe they figure it's a rubber snake. :lol:

quote="Jeff C."]I've had a rod broken by UPS that was shipped in a cardboard tube. From that time on, I've always shipped in PVC and never had a problem.

I believe USPS is cheaper than UPS, but I would check the online shipping calculators of each to be sure. Just make sure the calculator accounts for the fact that the package will be 7' long, cuz that will add a lot to the price.

Jeff[/quote]
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Chaozu

Post by Chaozu »

Yes, as G said, use FedEx, UPS blows. I worked in shipping/receiving and UPS doesn't give a sh*t about the packages. Some packages looked like the driver ran over it a couple times then threw it in the truck. It's always a good idea to keep the cardboard tube your rod came in (if you ordered it online) as everyone already said, it's lighter and will be cheaper. I just shipped a rod yesterday and it cost me $13 from Cali to Oregon through FedEx.
Ryan Margone
midwesttransplant

Post by midwesttransplant »

Chaozu wrote:Yes, as G said, use FedEx, UPS blows. I worked in shipping/receiving and UPS doesn't give a sh*t about the packages. Some packages looked like the driver ran over it a couple times then threw it in the truck. It's always a good idea to keep the cardboard tube your rod came in (if you ordered it online) as everyone already said, it's lighter and will be cheaper. I just shipped a rod yesterday and it cost me $13 from Cali to Oregon through FedEx.
I would agree with UPS not giving a care. I just had a trolling motor shipped out here from Minnesota and it looked like it they drug it from MN. Luckily I had put insurance on it but they were very hesitant to give out a claim.

FYI Jim Lambert does excellent work with very quick turn around on MinnKota products.

As far as price check out DHL too (had very good luck with them in the past). Each company has different rates for odd sized packages. For example my trolling motor was an oversized or abnormal sized package so they double the weight to determine cost. Some of the other shipping places might have different ways of determining how to adjust for the size.
If I call in sick, I am probably on the Delta.
hippie

Post by hippie »

do any of you have any 5" pvc schedule 40 i ll take it all off your hands even 4" how about 10,000 ft
whazup

Post by whazup »

Have used UPS for years. Never a problem!