Maxxum Pro trolling motor problems...

LawDog

Maxxum Pro trolling motor problems...

Post by LawDog »

I have an 80lb Maxxum Pro trolling motor that is about three years old. The last two times I went out the motor will work fine for a while them stop. To get it to work I have to grab the lift cord and yank on it. I have inspected all the connections from the pedal to the head unit which appear to be fine. I have a feeling the problem is from the head to the motor. Has anyone had this problem and the more important question, how was it fixed. I dont want to send it to service center if I can avoid it.
minnkotaman

Re: Maxxum Pro trolling motor problems...

Post by minnkotaman »

common problem, you have water in the lower unit and your brushes are froze where they are. by shaking the motor it moves the brushes
just enough to work. you have no idea what damage you are doing to your armature. bet your have fishing line stuck behind the prop.
if its under the 3 year warrenty get it to a service center asap.
jim l.
LawDog

Post by LawDog »

Thanks for the advice. I took the prop off today and there is nothing behind the blade and the seal looks good. Can I remove the two nuts and take the armature out and see if theres damage?
JLS (Jay Liu's Service)

Post by JLS (Jay Liu's Service) »

LawDog, Your problem is the armature is bad. :( :( Minn Kota is aware of the problem and has extended some warranty. :D :D I need the serial number, then I can call the factory to see if they will warranty it. You can take it to any warranty center, but If you want, you can call me my phone number is 530 246-8051

JLS (Jay Liu’s Service) trolling motor repair
LawDog

Post by LawDog »

Jay, Thanks for the answer. I just sent you a PM. Scott