Brackish water and trolling motors

SloppySeconds

Brackish water and trolling motors

Post by SloppySeconds »

Any of you guys used your trolling motors in the brackish water? I'm curious how much use you can get out of a non-saltwater trolling motor before it turns into a pile of rust???

Thanks!
bustout

Re: Brackish water and trolling motors

Post by bustout »

9 years and no issues...Motorguide trolling motor
gsc686s

Post by gsc686s »

Ask Delta Dan.
DeltaDan

Post by DeltaDan »

No problems other than cosmetic - Just make sure you put some soap and water to it and your boat when off the water and pull your prop to make sure you have no line/junk in your shaft seal.

Mostly causmetic in nature - and you will get some pitting in your paint on the top plate when you don't take the time to put soap/water to it.

I am still launching at Lauritzens and running to Roe and Ryer Is/ Honker Bay/ Spoonbill Cut/ Montezuma/ Chain Is./ Collinsville/ Brown-Winter-Sherman-West Islands and hitting BBreak on the way back in.

~ Funny you should ask this - cause I was gona ask why my trailor has rust forming just from launching at Lauritzens. Normally I would not think the salt water intrusion is up this far and that is why I make a last run through BBreak to clean out the impellor of the motor and scout some more.

I am contemplating on making a long run up the north Moke tommorow before light to let the boat finally see some fresh water ~ in a very long time. :lol:
You know, we always called each other goodfellas. Like, you'd say to somebody: "You're gonna like this guy; he's all right. He's a goodfella. He's one of us." You understand? We were goodfellas, wiseguys.

[b]Team LL [/b] (2006 ~ And Beyond !! )
danlee

Post by danlee »

was wondering how far in is brackish water? big break? shermans?
ppickerell

Post by ppickerell »

Halibut caught in Grizzly! Dungeness at Ozol....
02 Champion 206 DC Elite
Bobber Lobber
CBoat

Post by CBoat »

Definitely impacting my trailer and the trolling motor. One thing I have done to protect the bolts and some of the exposed areas of the trailer is spray with rust proof spray of some type. This is not a paint but rather an oil based spray. It coats the metal so that the water is repelled and runs off rather than make contact with the metal. My boat and trailer are over 17 years old and the trailer is still in good shape considering the wear and tear and probably 100 launches out of Lauritzens. Before you put that boat in the water again, I would go and purchase anti corrosion spray on grease. You will need several bottles. You should shoot the critical areas of your trolling motor also. There is a marine version but you can pick this up at Home Depot for much cheaper and it is the same stuff. My trailer is not very pretty but there is not much rust on it either.

Good luck...