Humminbird Releases New Software

scottsweet

Humminbird Releases New Software

Post by scottsweet »

All,

Humminbird is starting to release the upgrade features. Remember not all unit are released at once. Humminbird releases each model as it becomes available instead of waiting for all models to be completed before releasing. So just because your model is not listed today does not mean it will not see enhancements. Please give them some time to get all models released:

New Releases as of 1/12/2010:
1197c - v4.750
1157c - v4.750
1155c - v4.750

997c - v4.750
957c - v4.750
955c - v4.750
937c - v4.750
931c - v4.740
917c - v4.750

798c/798ci - v4.780
788c/788ci - v4.780
786ci - v4.750
778c - v4.740
768 - v4.760
767 - v4.760
757c - v4.760
755 - v4.740
747 - v4.740
737 - v4.760
728 - v4.760
727 - v4.760
718 - v4.760
717 - v4.760

To get this download, you must have your graph registered on the Humminbird site. It is VERY important to read the instructions on how to do the upgrade. Most important, be sure to set your graph to its defaults PRIOR to doing the upgrade.

If you have any questions, let me know and I will do what I can to help.

Scott Sweet
www.humminbird.com
mark poulson

Re: Humminbird Releases New Software

Post by mark poulson »

Scott,
I can't find it on the Humminbird site.
Which button do I push?
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

You've got to click the My Account menu option (at the very top-right of the screen on my browser, just to the left of the Search box), log on with your user credentials and it will display the registered unit(s) you have along with the software versions available.

I grabbed the code and updated my 1197 just a short time ago... now I have to get out on the water to check it out!

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
offduty

Post by offduty »

Thanks
Down loaded it from the net and uploaded it to my 2 units. It's supposed to rain tomorrow but I may have to go to the lake and check it out.
Rich
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

tunaman wrote:
I grabbed the code and updated my 1197 just a short time ago... now I have to get out on the water to check it out!

Roger
:P well since the bite is what it is, you will have time to play with it the next time out :P

missing you guys allready :wink:
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

tunaman wrote:You've got to click the My Account menu option (at the very top-right of the screen on my browser, just to the left of the Search box), log on with your user credentials and it will display the registered unit(s) you have along with the software versions available.

Roger
Thanks Roger. I went to the site, and the download is there for me.
Now I have to get new chip to download it onto, since the chip I have has some Lowrance maps on it, which the SI doesn't read.
Do you know if I can load the software onto the same chip?
And then I have to figure out how to put it onto my unit without doing any damage. :lol:
CLEAN AND DRY
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

Mark I'm not dad but as far as I know there should not be a problem with using the same chip. the bird should only see/pickup whats on that chip that has a file name that the bird use's

just like using your sd card in a cam and with pics on the card, using it to load your lowrance, and I know that can be done.

If nothing else send all your stuff on that card to your computer and save it then use the card :wink: once its on your computer you can allways put the info back on the card if needed
[img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f233/basscaptain/Kirk-McIntyre-sig.gif[/img]
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Kirk has it right, pretty much. If you're talking about a mapping card like Navionics or something similar, there may be enough room for the update on the chip. You also may have to slide the write-protect tab to unlock the card, but I'd expect there would be enough to accommodate the 3.77MB binary update.

As Scott stated, Humminbird suggests resetting the unit back to defaults. I'm not sure why, as it makes little sense to me, but given that the Humminbird instructions also include this warning and state that it could cause harm requiring factory intervention it is certainly a worthwhile precaution. Go into the full menu, go to the Setup tab, and activate the Restore Default option.

Then power the unit off, insert the SD card, and power the unit back on - it should find the update and ask if you want to apply it. Be sure your battery charger is plugged in, just in case, as you don't want anything to disrupt the flash process once it has started.

Roger
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

macinckirk wrote: :P well since the bite is what it is, you will have time to play with it the next time out :P

They'll be on the chew before you know it, and I expect the Down Imaging will help in the mean time. And we miss you already also - Mona sends a very hearty "thank you" for your domestic skills! :lol:

Glad Humminbird doesn't require any more hardware to enable this... can't wait to test it out.

Roger
macinckirk
Current LameNut

Post by macinckirk »

tunaman wrote:Kirk has it right, pretty much. If you're talking about a mapping card like Navionics or something similar, there may be enough room for the update on the chip. You also may have to slide the write-protect tab to unlock the card, but I'd expect there would be enough to accommodate the 3.77MB binary update.

Roger
Mark now this is just me and I don't mean to step on dad's toes because I DON"T KNOW SH*T about these computers and things, and he really does.
BUT I would not even try this if the card you have is not just a plain old sd card you get from wal-mart or etc.... IE sandisc, pny etc...

I would go buy a $9.00 sd card at walmart before screwing up a $100.00 plus Navionics card, I have heard of BAD THINGS happening to there cards when people try and copy them, load to computer and etc. I have never tryed it because I'm not willing to screw up a 150.00 card

but by the way I read your post, I got the feeling that you have just a sd card that you got and then went to lowrance web site and downloaded some of there free maps. and thats why I post my 1st post :wink:
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

macinckirk wrote:I have heard of BAD THINGS happening to there cards when people try and copy them, load to computer and etc.
Keywords... COPY, LOAD, etc... yes, if you try to muck with the protected data on the card you will undoubtedly corrupt the data and will not be able to recover it. Those are folks who are trying to copy/duplicate the cards, and due to the nature of the protected content it is nearly impossible to do without some really expensive equipment.

However, there is empty space on the cards which can be used to store waypoint/route/track information, and which can also be used to transfer the update image. As long as you don't muck with the card's contents you are safe. This was very useful and necessary for the older units which didn't have dual card slots.

It is always best to use a spare card, if possible, but that is certainly a last-resort alternative.

Roger
scottkh

Post by scottkh »

tunaman wrote:As Scott stated, Humminbird suggests resetting the unit back to defaults. I'm not sure why, as it makes little sense to me, but given that the Humminbird instructions also include this warning and state that it could cause harm requiring factory intervention it is certainly a worthwhile precaution. Go into the full menu, go to the Setup tab, and activate the Restore Default option.
quote directly from Humminbird web site
Automatically restores defaults when reprogramming unit.

No need to reset to defaults when updating the unit. I updated my 1197 with no problem using cheap SD card.
Scott Hostetler
www.deafbass.org
JeffJ

Post by JeffJ »

Why am I having an issue downloading it to my PC? I have a spare 4GB MMC
Jeff Jue
Skeeter Boats
Bob's Machine Shop
Powell Rods
Perigrine 250
California Reservoir Lures
Amphibia Eye Wear
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

Can be a little more specific on "problem"? What is happening?

Scott
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

All,

The Navionics chip can have data put on it. BE VERY CAREFUL though. When downloading software, there is an option to delete it after it has been loaded on to your graph.

Navionics puts hidden files on the chip to make it a valid chip due to hackers and the like. I can't guarantee that after you updated your graph none of these hidden files will be touched.

My suggestion to play it safe...use a new card. They are VERY cheap and you can get them at Best Buy, Walmart, Fry's ,etc.

You can keep the chip in your graph if you like and use it at a later time for updates, capturing of wp or video. Ever try saving your images and then looking at them later...it is pretty cool actually. If you want to be adventurous, you can even keep those videos and then load them on the Humminbird software and view/mess with it on your computer!

Bottom line, I wouldn't recommend using the Navionics card..not worth the $10 for a new card and the headaches of fixing things. Navionics is VERY touchy about anyone who has messed with their cards.

Scott
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
scottsweet

Need Help??

Post by scottsweet »

If you need help, PM, email or call me.

818-448-3366.

Scott
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

scottkh wrote:quote directly from Humminbird web site
Automatically restores defaults when reprogramming unit.

No need to reset to defaults when updating the unit. I updated my 1197 with no problem using cheap SD card.
Full directions for download and installation from Humminbird's site:
Description:
1/12/2010 12:00:00 AM - v4.750 Adds Down Imaging. Adds LakeMaster compatibility. Adds GPS improvements. Adds new 2D sonar color palettes. Adds New SI sonar color palettes. Improves trolling motor noise rejection. Fixes Track offset issue. Makes depth alarm Persistent over power cycles. Supports new NVB maps w/o Canada data. (NVB models only) Automatically restores defaults when reprogramming unit. Adds additional AIS message support. Fixes Disabled GPS output. Fixes Snapshots not displaying in POS mode. Fixes Navionics library drawing when no map is available. Fixes various cosmetic and minor operational defects.

Prerequisites:
You will need a working MMC/SD reader/writer device attached to your PC and a formatted MMC/SD card.

Instructions:
Download to your computer and use the HumminbirdPC program to upload to your unit. You may also copy the uploaded software to an MMC/SD card and then insert that card into your unit to update its code. CAUTION! We highly recommend that you restore the defaults on your Humminbird unit prior to downloading any new software as it can create complications that can only be fixed at the factory.
Sufficient warning for me to adhere to their recommendation... never had to do so previously, but I'm not going to test old man Murphy with a $2500 meter.

And regarding using a mapping chip - as I stated above it 'could' be used as a last resort. Best to use a regular SD card if possible. The software update process will NOT just delete wildcard files - it specifically removes the file(s) it uses to upgrade the system. No smoke and mirrors here, nor a man behind the curtain - very straightforward process.

Roger
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Scott - any idea where the updated documentation is? I can't find anything that includes the Down Imaging settings, and even the 1197c manual is still dated 2007 (even though the newer units have supposedly been shipping for a little while with Down Imaging installed).

Sure would be nice to have the documentation to read through...

Roger
mark poulson

Re: Need Help??

Post by mark poulson »

I phoned the Humminbird support, and Deborah walked me through my installation.
The first MMC card, 4gb, didn't read in the 997, so she had me load the software onto another, smaller card she helped me format, and, Voila!!!, the deed is done.
I can't wait to see what it looks like on the water! :D :D :D
CLEAN AND DRY
ryan accardo

Post by ryan accardo »

so after it asks you to apply the new vrsion how long to download and what do you do after .
Dobyn Rods,Lim-It Lures of California,Johnny C's Pro Guide Jigs,Cal West Construction of Fresno.Valley Rod And Gun Pro Staff,BassAholics LifeStyle Apparel.
ryan accardo

Post by ryan accardo »

how long does it take to download still waiting after 30 mins
Dobyn Rods,Lim-It Lures of California,Johnny C's Pro Guide Jigs,Cal West Construction of Fresno.Valley Rod And Gun Pro Staff,BassAholics LifeStyle Apparel.
JeffJ

Post by JeffJ »

Well I had a bad MMC so that was my problem. Down laoding only took seconds and then installing it too less than a minute and it was done.
Jeff Jue
Skeeter Boats
Bob's Machine Shop
Powell Rods
Perigrine 250
California Reservoir Lures
Amphibia Eye Wear
ryan accardo

Post by ryan accardo »

downloading was easy but getting the download to graph it accepts the up grade but 30 mins and nothing
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

tunaman wrote:
macinckirk wrote: :P well since the bite is what it is, you will have time to play with it the next time out :P

And we miss you already also - Mona sends a very hearty "thank you" for your domestic skills! :lol:

Roger
I am thinking about inviting Dave over to my house, to fish Folsom....it needs some cleaning :lol: HAR
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

JeffJ wrote:Well I had a bad MMC so that was my problem. Down laoding only took seconds and then installing it too less than a minute and it was done.
I had the same problem with the first 4GB MMC I tried. It downloaded from the site fine, but the machine wouldn't read it.
I tried a 16MB card that I had other stuff on. I formatted it, and then downloaded the software directly onto the card, skipping the hard drive.
It took a second to download, and a minute to load it into the graph.
If it takes longer than that, there's probably something wrong with your MMC card. Try formatting it first, and then reentering the software. If that doesn't work, do like Jeff did and buy a new one.
CLEAN AND DRY
scottsweet

Re: Updated **Humminbird Releases New Software

Post by scottsweet »

New Releases as of 1/14/2010:
1197c - v4.750
1157c - v4.750
1155c - v4.750

997c - v4.750
987c - v4.770
981c - v4.750
957c - v4.750
955c - v4.750
947c - v4.750
937c - v4.750
931c - v4.740
917c - v4.750

798c/798ci - v4.780
797c2/797c2i - v4.770
788c/788ci - v4.780
787c2/787c2i - v4.770
786ci - v4.750
785c2/785c2i - 4.770
778c - v4.740
777c2 - v4.740
768 - v4.760
767 - v4.760
757c - v4.760
755 - v4.740
747 - v4.740
737 - v4.760
728 - v4.760
727 - v4.760
718 - v4.760
717 - v4.760

Matrix 12 - v4.750
Matrix47 3D - v4.740
Matrix97 - v4.750

Scott
www.humminbird.com
scottsweet

What to expect - I did my update...

Post by scottsweet »

Folks,

For those having some issues, this is what the update should be...

Download the update to your MMC card. It should be a <file>.bin file. To keep it clean, I saved it directly to my chip.

Set your defaults on your graph to the defaults. I know the software says you don't need to do this, but I did it anyways. You do this by going to Setup and then select Restore Defaults.

Power off your unit and install the chip. Power it back up. After the basic boot, you should get a screen asking you if you want to do the update. You say Yes. It will ask if you want to Abort, say No.

The screen should start changing colors with the prompt on the screen saying don't interrupt the update. Depending on the graph, it will take about 1-2 minutes. You should see the colors changing as it updates.

When it is done, it will ask if you want to reboot. Say yes. Since you hadn't removed the chip before rebooting it will come up with a prompt saying you already have the latest software. You can shut it down and remove the chip and then turn it back on.

It is pretty easy. Again, if you have problems, call me. Of course Humminbird support can help too and they will be even better than me :).

Scott
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
offduty

Post by offduty »

I downloaded the update to a sd 16 card and turned my unit on. I then pulled the Navionics platinum card and inserted the one with the update. The screen will prompt you from there and i answered the yes, no questions on the screen. The unit says do not interrupt and after a minute restarts. That is how I did it and it works great.

I got on the water today and really enjoyed the down imaging. You can use it next to most all the other screens. All in all a nice free upgrade, I dont know if that is the best way to install but I noticed it said it would reset to default settings first and it did work fine. Not trying to dispute anything previously said but that is what worked for me. I am really happy with my 2 997C SI units and am looking forward to future free upgrades from Humminbird. I managed to get some fish on the carolina rig too, good day.
Peace
Rich Lund
Jeff Antenucci

Post by Jeff Antenucci »

scottsweet wrote:New Releases as of 1/14/2010:
1197c - v4.750
1157c - v4.750
1155c - v4.750

997c - v4.750
987c - v4.770
981c - v4.750
957c - v4.750
955c - v4.750
947c - v4.750
937c - v4.750
931c - v4.740
917c - v4.750

798c/798ci - v4.780
797c2/797c2i - v4.770
788c/788ci - v4.780
787c2/787c2i - v4.770
786ci - v4.750
785c2/785c2i - 4.770
778c - v4.740
777c2 - v4.740
768 - v4.760
767 - v4.760
757c - v4.760
755 - v4.740
747 - v4.740
737 - v4.760
728 - v4.760
727 - v4.760
718 - v4.760
717 - v4.760

Matrix 12 - v4.750
Matrix47 3D - v4.740
Matrix97 - v4.750

Scott
www.humminbird.com
And to add on, the 967c also.
Update's were easy once you figured out where you had to download it from :lol:

Thanks
Kiss my Bass

Post by Kiss my Bass »

Just wondering if this model is included in the downscan upgrade also?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

Thanks

kiss my bass
offduty

Post by offduty »

Kiss my Bass wrote:Just wondering if this model is included in the downscan upgrade also?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true

Thanks

kiss my bass
If you look at the chart directly above your post you will find it.
schreecher2

Post by schreecher2 »

So nice to have a company that will give you a free upgrade to the down imaging! Very much appreciated in this economy! I am going out tomorrow to try it out on Lake Washington, along with my new Steeze.......
Tight Lines,
schreech