Spinnerbait rod

bigjosh15

Spinnerbait rod

Post by bigjosh15 »

I am looking for a good spinnerbait rod, I was thinking maybe the Dobyns SS 734C. Maybe a SS 733C??? Not sure. What do you think?
Austen

Re: Spinnerbait rod

Post by Austen »

I use a 734 for my chatterbaits which is what i throw instead of spinnerbaits. so i would go with a 734.
swordfish

Post by swordfish »

734 Powell,, it rocks for so many baits too....
the best way to catch a big one is don't lose um sharp hooks set drag retie!
Saechao

Post by Saechao »

powell 765cb :)
Phil

Post by Phil »

Any good !! medium/heavy power graphite rod is good for spinnerbaits, Dobyns, Powell, Fenwick, or a good custom rod from guys like B2, or Steves Custom rods; and the power to drive that lazer sharp hook into the bass's lip: If you can not feel the blades vibrating in your hand, the rod goes in the drink. Personally I use Fenwick HMG GT70 or 73 series, although my first choice would be Dobyns 734 series spinnerbait rod. Unfortunatly my rod box only handles maximum 7ft rods, so having my Dobyns 734C rod on the deck one year, it got stepped on and broke, so I now stick with maximum 7ft or lesser length rods ! If you are a seasoned spinnerbait user, I suggest stay away from lesser expensive rods.
Remember, although it casts a spinnerbait a great distance in 3/8 to 1 oz and will do the same for a heavy crankbait; do not use it for crankbait fishing, you will loose fish. A spinnerbait rod is just to fast for those treble hooks !
just my .02
Phil
Rod Wynn

Post by Rod Wynn »

Make sure you give the Phenix Rods X-9, X-10, X-11, X-12 or X-13 a look before you make your decision..
I can promise you that you will not be disappointed..

Here is the tackle tour write up on one those rods..

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewphenixx10.html
AMATEURS work until they get it RIGHT..
PROFESSIONALS WORK until they CAN'T get it Wrong..
Jason C.

Post by Jason C. »

Josh,
Get your self a Dobyns Savvy 733C or a 734C. Which ever you feel to be the more versatile rod. The 733 is labled to throw blades, just as the 734 is. Only thing is the 734 is labled to throw up to 1oz the 733 isnt. The 733 is only labled to throw 3/4oz, but Im sure you can get away with throwin a 1ton every now and then :wink:
Winning Isn't Everything...But Wanting To IS!
Tight Lines, Jason C.
jasonconser@yahoo.com 925-727-4077
[color=orange] www.dobynsrods.com [/color]
[color=blue] www.inland-marine.com [/color]
leachman90

Post by leachman90 »

Josh,
Without reading any of these other post I would say without a doubt the Dobyns DX744 is the best spinnerbait rod I have ever used. On top of that it is a incredible buzzer rod too. It is the BEST overall rod I have over touched.
www.insideline.net/index.php/forum
201Pro

Post by 201Pro »

bigjosh15 wrote:I am looking for a good spinnerbait rod, I was thinking maybe the Dobyns SS 734C. Maybe a SS 733C??? Not sure. What do you think?
Depends on how much you want to spend. For a new one, Dobyn's 705CB Glass Fast action is nice for $200. For a lot less, check out the BPS Cranking stick 7'MH at $70 a copy. That's a composite rod like the Dobyn's (glass tip w/ graphite butt section).
Chris
=========================
2004 Ranger 521VX, ETEC250HO
8" Atlas Hydro Plate, 25p Tempest+
Hotfoot/ProTrim/4-bank Dual Pro
2x Blade Series Power Poles
Minn Kota Fortrex 112
Lowrance HDS12 Carbon & Gen3
=========================
Johnny C

Post by Johnny C »

I crushed a bunch today on a Dobyns 734. You will love this rod.
http://www.dobynsrods.com
Lugnut

Post by Lugnut »

plus 1 for the Dobyns 734 for blades, I also own a Powel 734 but I use it for throwing buzzbaits.
Don't ask about my username, all I need to say is check yours and check them often.

HomeBrew Tackle Co.
big bass beckstrom

Post by big bass beckstrom »

swordfish wrote:734 Powell,, it rocks for so many baits too....
Exactly
Elliott
www.basscat.com
www.mossdale-boats.com
www.blackdogbaits.com
www.fishdelta.com
Tin Can

Post by Tin Can »

Now that everyone is done plugging thier sponsors and of course the site favorite.

Loomis SBR812C

I love this rod and I use it for a lot more than just blades it's made for blades though and you feel everything.
GKramer

Post by GKramer »

As one of few here not related to Gary Dobyns (and also living in a different zip code) :) I can say that Jimmy Reese recommended I try a Lamiglas XC 734. Best advice I've got in a while. It's called a "Topwater Special" but it's just one of those weight/actions that does more than just one thing well.

gk

www.kramergonefishing.com
Sacto John

Post by Sacto John »

The Powell 734 is the best overall rod I own and it is great for spinnerbaits.
massbaster

Post by massbaster »

zombie rods 7'4" medium heavy .
Schneider Fishing

Post by Schneider Fishing »

Bad George. Bad George "living in different Zip code"

I like the loomis 813 spinnerbait rod
Robert Schneider
My wife is my real sponsor

www.PhenixBaits.com
Micropterus salmoides

Post by Micropterus salmoides »

I should preface this by stating that I fish from a kickboat, so my experience may be different than when standing. I also am not one to believe in the mystique of a certain company and I have no allegiance or affiliation with any company.

I had the Loomis 812C for 3 years. Ultimately found it too underpowered for my liking. For a rod rated extra fast it behaved more like a mod-fast. Although rated similar to the 783C and 843C, both of which I had in GL3 prior to the 812C, the 812C is not as powerful.

I also had a Loomis 813C briefly, but it was a tank compared to the 812C. Very powerful rod, but I found the tip too stiff and unforgiving. It definitely felt like more than one step up in power. Overall I didn't like it.

I used my GLX 843C for a while and really liked it. About the only think I didn't like was the tip was a bit too stiff and I felt underpowered in heavy weeds. It's my Senko and unweighted soft plastics rod, so spinnerbait use was temporary.

I also tried my GLX 844C for spinnerbaits, but as I found the 843C tip to be too stiff the 844C was more so.

Note: As I mentioned earlier I fish from a kickboat so the 843C, more so the 844C, were difficult to cast at times. I did find that the 843C cast well when standing. I can't remember if I cast the 844C when standing.

I'm currently using a Dobyns 734C, sometimes a 733C in open water. I found that both the 734C and 733C have a more powerful backbone yet a softer tip than the 844C and 843C, respectively. That being the case I was able to step up to the 4 power 734C and not feel I was losing casting accuracy. I do find that the 733C is easier to cast and more accurate, but overall I believe that the 734C is better suited for me throughout the year due to its extra power, something I find crucial when fishing around heavy weeds.

I think that you couldn't go wrong with either the Dobyns 734C, 733C or Loomis 843C, maybe 844C.