wide spooled spinning reels

lmartinez

wide spooled spinning reels

Post by lmartinez »

has anyone fished this type of spinning reel before????there were on sale today at a local big 5 i think there were the ray scott reels any info would be great thanks len 8)
Bill K

Re: wide spooled spinning reels

Post by Bill K »

They have a place, like all our stuff. If you use heavy line on a spinning reel, then they will not (normally) cause the problems heavy line does on a small spool. i.e. tangles, loops, etc. And usually they do hold more line. Bill K :)
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
RogerB

Post by RogerB »

Those U.S. Reel SuperCasters at $39.95 are an incredible buy. The larger spool diameter is definitely a plus, not only for handling heavier lines, but also for distance. When I competed in tournament casting with spinning reels for distance events (albeit several decades ago!), the hottest reel for achieving better distances was a Swedish reel that had a significantly larger spool diameter than the then-available American or French-made reels.
I've bought four of the Supercasters, have used one already on the water, and find it to be a fine spinning reel, with an excellent drag. I highly recommend it.
Please practice CPR (catch, photo, and release)
...RogerB
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Daiwa's been using the longer-and-wider spool design on surf reels for years. They don't have a bass sized offering though...

lmartinez

Post by lmartinez »

thanks again for all the help len 8)
jsoregon

Post by jsoregon »

The things you read on it say that you get less line twists with wider spools. I can't say I can definitely say mine do that however.

I just got a BPS Johnny Morris wide spool spinning reel this year and love it so far.