Recoil line guides ?????

Wild Bill

Recoil line guides ?????

Post by Wild Bill »

What's the lowdown on these ?

Any good, or a gimmick ?
I hear they wear out fast, but have NO experience with them myself, so I am hoping you all will give me the honest lowdown on them, please.
Share fishing with someone
Wild Bill

Re: Recoil line guides-advantages vs disadvantages ??

Post by Wild Bill »

What are the advantages vs disadvantages to the recoil type of guides ?
I have never used or owned any yet.

Thanks for your input.
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

Wear out? Not sure about that. I have custom rods built by Tom Pryor and he only uses titanium recoil. How can titanium be less durable that ceramic? I know that I have lost quite a few ceramic guide inserts on other rods. My understanding is the titanium handles the abrasion of braid better than ceramic. All of my spinning rods have braid now and I have not damaged one titanium recoil.
Schneider Fishing

Post by Schneider Fishing »

I've got them on a few loomis rods and I like them.
Robert Schneider
My wife is my real sponsor

www.PhenixBaits.com
TZ1

Post by TZ1 »

I like them in general. One down side is that casting splices or knots through them is a problem sometimes.
Wild Bill

Post by Wild Bill »

Robert,
I have heard they do on another fishing website, and that is why I have posed this question opnsite here, as I feel I have always gotten good, solid info from Western Bass members.

Like I stated in my intial post, that is what I have only HEARD, not experienced myself.

I am curious to find that out, as NONE of my fishing rods have them, and I have NO experience with them, but I don't want to buy a pricey rod {Kistler; used} only to find out that they do.
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

I have one rod with them. I wish all my rods had them. Most durable guides I have ever used. This is just my opinion but I think they are more sensitive. I can feel the fish inhale my bait on that rod, long before I feel the thump of them trying to get away. I am considering learning to wrap rods so I can have those.
LL
philip garcia

Post by philip garcia »

I have 19 rods with the recoil guides and have been using them for two years now. The advantages are they are lighter, they are flexible, no insert, greater sensitivity, and they are indistructable. There is only one downside to them and that is they make noise. What I mean is they sometimes sing when the line goes threw them. I am so use to it I don't even notice it now but when you first use them you can here it.
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

Wild Bill wrote:Robert,
I have heard they do on another fishing website, and that is why I have posed this question opnsite here, as I feel I have always gotten good, solid info from Western Bass members.

Like I stated in my intial post, that is what I have only HEARD, not experienced myself.
I have heard the wear-out comment as well. Not sure why. Like I said, I have not had issues. I know that Tom told a guy that said he damaged one to bring it to him and he would give him one of his rods for the guide off the other rod. The guide never showed up. I would expect that if it did happen you would bring an old broken guide off somebody elses rod to trade for a new $300 custom. :lol:
B Becker

Post by B Becker »

you will never break one or damage one putting it in a rod-locker-tube assmebly. I have popped several guides getting rods in and out, especially spinning rod guides (my fault), but the recoil are pretty sweet. Bass Pro's Johnny Morries Elites come with them and they are nice.
Brent Becker

Sponsors:
www.brentbeckerfishing.com
www.skeeterboats.com
www.basspro.com
www.bassaholics.com
www.maxima-lines.com
some guy

Post by some guy »

philip garcia wrote:I have 19 rods with the recoil guides and have been using them for two years now. The advantages are they are lighter, they are flexible, no insert, greater sensitivity, and they are indistructable. There is only one downside to them and that is they make noise. What I mean is they sometimes sing when the line goes threw them. I am so use to it I don't even notice it now but when you first use them you can here it.

+1

Its a beautiful sounds to hear the braid coming through the guides with leroy jenkins on the other end mad at life.... sounds like those whales noises people use to got to sleep.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
mvanguilder

Re: Recoil line guides ?????

Post by mvanguilder »

Here you go, check these out. http://stcroixrods.com/product/legendxtreme

awesome rods. Guides are great. Seem to be indestructable.

Mike - St. Croix pro staff
basstrophy

Post by basstrophy »

mvanguilder wrote:Here you go, check these out. http://stcroixrods.com/product/legendxtreme

I have purchased three of the Legend Xtreme St. Croix rods with recoil line guides and they are the most sensitive rods I own. I have found that Legend Xtreme rods are way more sensitive then the GLX rods too. BTW I have two GLX rods for sale now.

I've asked this same question about recoil line guides and each time it's the same answer. They will not break or wear out plus they are more sensitive.
drew

Post by drew »

I doubt with regular use of a monofilament type line that they would wear out. The top would see the most abrasion and maybe with braid in dirty water it could see some wear, but tops are easy to replace.

Most of the modern refractories will have a lower coefficient of friction which could equate to less line wear and longer casts.

The difference in hardness is huge. Recoil guides are made from nickel titanium which is relatively soft. The refractories are made predominantly from aluminum oxide and silicon carbide which are very hard. The difference would be like comparing plastic to steel.

Robert F wrote:Wear out? Not sure about that. I have custom rods built by Tom Pryor and he only uses titanium recoil. How can titanium be less durable that ceramic? I know that I have lost quite a few ceramic guide inserts on other rods. My understanding is the titanium handles the abrasion of braid better than ceramic. All of my spinning rods have braid now and I have not damaged one titanium recoil.
some guy

Post by some guy »

basstrophy wrote:
mvanguilder wrote:Here you go, check these out. http://stcroixrods.com/product/legendxtreme

I have purchased three of the Legend Xtreme St. Croix rods with recoil line guides and they are the most sensitive rods I own. I have found that Legend Xtreme rods are way more sensitive then the GLX rods too. BTW I have two GLX rods for sale now.

I've asked this same question about recoil line guides and each time it's the same answer. They will not break or wear out plus they are more sensitive.
send me a pm with the price, models, condition.. pics if you have any. I have about a dozen GLX's and always looking for more.
Create your own luck.

><> John Curry <><
Robert F

Post by Robert F »

drew wrote:I doubt with regular use of a monofilament type line that they would wear out. The top would see the most abrasion and maybe with braid in dirty water it could see some wear, but tops are easy to replace.

Most of the modern refractories will have a lower coefficient of friction which could equate to less line wear and longer casts.

The difference in hardness is huge. Recoil guides are made from nickel titanium which is relatively soft. The refractories are made predominantly from aluminum oxide and silicon carbide which are very hard. The difference would be like comparing plastic to steel.

Robert F wrote:Wear out? Not sure about that. I have custom rods built by Tom Pryor and he only uses titanium recoil. How can titanium be less durable that ceramic? I know that I have lost quite a few ceramic guide inserts on other rods. My understanding is the titanium handles the abrasion of braid better than ceramic. All of my spinning rods have braid now and I have not damaged one titanium recoil.
Good info Drew. May be why most rods have a ceramic tip with the recoil guides? All I know is I have not damaged a titanium one yet but broke many ceramic inserts.
drew

Post by drew »

They are light weight, durable and inexpensive.
Robert F wrote:
Good info Drew. May be why most rods have a ceramic tip with the recoil guides? All I know is I have not damaged a titanium one yet but broke many ceramic inserts.[/quote]