Shasta Spawn??

jsc11700

Shasta Spawn??

Post by jsc11700 »

Ok Locals.. What is going on with the spawn this year at shasta. I fish shasta regularly during the "tournamnet seasons" (October - April) but usually not this late in the year. I got the opportunity to fight the party crowd this past weekend, and thought with the full moon last week and now that the water temps are consistanlty 62-65 that I could head to some of the normal spawning areas, but didn't find anything. No old beds, no fish on beds, nothing.... Have they already spawned? spawning deeper becasue of the high water? Not yet spawned?

I checked quite a few areas around the lake just kind of looking but nothing. I am just curious what has been going on.

Thanks
jsc11700

Re: Shasta Spawn??

Post by jsc11700 »

bump
StogieMan

Post by StogieMan »

I am not local but I too would like to know what is the deal with Shasta.
Our club is headed up this weekend for the first time in years!

Looks like we are going to have yet more weather to deal with as a front / rain are comong through. Oh Well :roll:
JLS (Jay Liu's Service)

Post by JLS (Jay Liu's Service) »

Stogieman, this is Jay Liu. When you get to Redding, give me a call my phone # 530 246-8051. I live at the south end of Redding. I tried to call you on your old cell phone #, but got someone else. I enjoyed talking to you :lol: :lol: :lol: when we were at the shop.

Jay
StogieMan

Post by StogieMan »

Thanks Jay, I will give you a call.
jsc11700

Post by jsc11700 »

Come on Guys I am just curious. I don't have any tournaments on shasta until this fall. I am just wondering if shasta is way behnd schedule like many lakes are this year due to our crazy weather.
SethB

Post by SethB »

Yes its way behind. I dont think the water temps are quite stable enough to really get things going. But what do I know. A week of stable weather and every fish in the lake will be on a bed.
Take a kid fishing
ACRon

Post by ACRon »

I just got back. Water temps fluctuated between 64-68 degrees. Saw some spot bucks guarding areas. The nests were hard to see because they seemed to be deeper.

They dropped the water about a foot before the storms but for the last few days they have been holding the levels pretty stable. It is hard to see much because the wind was keeping the texture on the water.
Rbass519

Post by Rbass519 »

Hey jsc, I was out yesterday (6/9) from 6:00am to 3:00pm. The water temp. averaged about 67 degrees. My biggest bass was 4lbs but we caught a lot of 2-3 pound bass on top-water and senkos. I caught the 4 on a BV3D in 5' of water.
To me, it looked like 75% of the bass caught hadn't spawned yet. I did catch a couple 18 inchers on the punker that had spawned. They were long and skinny with shredded tails. The others either spawned earlier and have recovered or aren't done yet. I'm no biologist, but, I wouldn't be surprised if they spawn twice this year here.

pm me for details if you want.