Triton Boat/Marine Master Trailer Rust

Shawn R.

Triton Boat/Marine Master Trailer Rust

Post by Shawn R. »

Hello old friends from Cali, just want to warn you ahead of time of the experience i am going through with my Trailer right now. I have a 2005 Triton boat bought at AIM marine, never used in saltwater, stored in covered parking, dried off completely each time due to the quagga restrictions, etc. The trailer is rusting everywhere in fact i have a hole now the size of a quarter next to the left signal light towards the front of my boat. I have 3 marine dealers out here including Bass Pro Shops tell me it is unrepairable and they have never seen rust like this on a 5 year old boat! I have contacted Triton boats who referred me to Marine Master Trailers we have been back and forth for months now but long story short they are blaming me for exposing this to "corrosive water conditions" RE: Salt or Brackish water and wont do anything other then replace my trailer with a galvanized trailer for $1700 plus shipping. So apparently Mission Viejo Lake was rusting my trailer and this trailer does not hold up to these conditions?????? The mechanic at Bass Pro has verified by looking at my Optimax that i have never used this boat in saltwater. Am i wrong to feel i just got a lemon and they will not stand behind their product? [/img]
www.Finesseangler.com
Pictures are worth a thousand words!
Shawn R.

Re: Triton Boat/Marine Master Trailer Rust

Post by Shawn R. »

Also, if anyone has a 2005 or newer Triton boat with a Marine Master trailer and is experiencing the same kid of premature rust in freshwater please send me a PM.
www.Finesseangler.com
bassmonkey

Post by bassmonkey »

Box frame trailers are notorious for rusting from the inside out. If you replace it, make sure you get a channel frame. This not the first time I have heard of these trailers rusting out. They will not stand behind it past the three year warranty. It sounds like they are offering you a trailer at cost, cause retail is around 3k +. I would not go galvanized as they look like chit. Get the channel frame and move on. At least you will have new tires, brakes, bunks, etc.. I sold over 200 of these trailers when I sold Tritons in my former life. They are not bad trailers and the guys are not bad people. It sounds like they are trying to help although it may not feel like it.
My .02$
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Bassmonkey is right about box frames.
I only fish fresh water.
When my '03 Tracker was rear ended on the freeway in March of '08, the trailer folded up like matchsticks, and the boat wound up in the next lane. Every spot that had been welded was rusted badly on the inside, and broke or folded up.
The trailer actually took the impact of the Lincoln Town Car that hit me. If it hadn't folded up like it did, the boat would had run into my truck, and really messed things up.
As it was, the trailer tongue wound up bent 90 degrees, tight against my bumper, and the bow of the boat was 3' past the rear bumper, in the passenger side lane.
She hit me so hard it bent the reciever, which is 3/4" steel, so I know that trailer saved me bigtime.
Having said that, I would never have a box frame trailer again unless it was galvanized.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I'd be a little bummed for sure.
Shawn R.

Post by Shawn R. »

Thanks for the feedback guys. The bottom line is that this should not be happening to a 2005 Triton that has never been in Saltwater. I could see if it was getting up there in age like my old Champ but that was at 15 years that i just started to see rust on the trailer! Ive done evrything im supposed to as far as caring for it storing it, heck i cant even launch unless my boat and trailer are bone dry and clean so i babied it and still do! I am not one to sit back ans say "ok s#it happens and ill just spend another $1700 plus shipping on a new trailer frame" and yes they are offering just the galvanized frame only for $1700 not the wheels. I just bought this boat in 2005 this is ridiculous to me! Ive called Triton and Marine Master Trailers and they wont back their product, its easier to blame it on the consumer!!
www.Finesseangler.com
bassmonkey

Post by bassmonkey »

You are in the right in this case. Some marine companies are near-sighted when it comes to customer service. I have never seen them do wrong by a customer but rarely did I see them do right by one either. They stick to their respective policies, because heck they already got your money. I bet you won't buy another and I would not blame you. Triton owns a large stake in Marine Master (or at least they used to), seems they should be willing to help. Pretty crappy they won't include the wheels in the price of the new tailer. The only advice I have is to be relentless in your quest for resolution. The squeaky wheel still seems to get the grease.
Shawn R.

Post by Shawn R. »

Yeah monkey i am going to spend all winter pursuing a resolution (not much fishing to be done in Co. anyway) according to Brad at Triton they cannot do anything but reccomend a solution to the trailer company. 3 dealers out here have told me they have never seen rust this bad this soon! I am afraid to trailer my boat anywhere right now! I cant believe Triton or Marine Master trailers wont try and save a customer this is going to be horrible press for them when its all said and done!!! What i need to do is show up to the Triton Boat owners tournament with this trailer!!!!
www.Finesseangler.com
kb

Post by kb »

Shawn this is not a Triton boat issue it is a Marine Master Trailers issue. You have spoken to the right person at Triton regarding this and his referral to Marine Master is what he is going to do. They do not build the trailer in the Triton plant. Forward me your contact information with the serial ID# to your trailer and I will try to contact Brad and see what he can tell me about your trailer.

Have you sent photos of the trailer back to Brad? I am not sure what Marine Master will do but I will talk to Brad for you. TWARRANTY

Marine Master Trailers, LLC (MMT) warrants a boat trailer frame and frame components for 2 years from the date of purchase against defective material and workmanship. During this warranty period, MMT, at its option, will repair or replace any part deemed defective after the trailer has been delivered to an authorized dealer for assessment. Except for tires, vendor supplied items, such as winches, jacks, lights, and brakes will be warranted with the appropriate vendor through MMT. Tires will be warranted directly with the tire manufacturer.

Since boat trailers are used in an environment that subjects the paint to perils, such as rust or paint chipping resulting from road debris, saltwater, or brackish waters, MMT will not warranty paint that displays these conditions.

General Exclusions from Warranty
1.Abuse or neglect
2.Lack of proper maintenance as described in the owners manual
3.Installation of parts or accessories that are not equivalent in design and quality to MMT parts
4.Normal wear and tear
5.Damage resulting from failure to keep bearings lubricated properly
6.Damage caused by accidents, collisions, road hazards, overloading, or trailer modifications
7.Failure attributable to improper assembly or damage to components if the hub is removed from the axle spindle
8.Damage caused by use of wheels not supplied by the trailer manufacturerhis is the warranty infomation from the Marine Master webpage:

drop me a pm here or email me at kntbrown1@earthlink.net

Kent Brown
Triton Boats
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
Shawn R.

Post by Shawn R. »

Kent,
First of all thank you for your concern on this. I have provided Brad with all of the info pictures, serial number, etc. He has made it very clear that this is a Marine Master trailer issue not Triton. That being said, you guys HAVE to have some influence on them and i want somebody to step up to the plate i am not going away. MMT had somebody from Dupont paint inspect the trailer and found that it was rusting from the inside out in what was reffered to as "corrosive water conditons" My argument is that i have NEVER put this boat in saltwater, i fish about 2-3 times a week mainly at Lake Mission Viejo. Due to the quagga concerns i was forced to dry and clean my boat and trailer after each use virtually the entire time i had it. I store it in covered parking. WHAT MORE COULD I HAVE DONE???? I have every marine dealer ive brought this to tell me they have never seen rust this bad this soon and my mechanic tells me based on the condition of the outboard even he can tell theres been NO saltwater exposure!!! I want something done. MMT is standing by there statement that i have used this in a corrosive water conditions and wont do anything for me but replace it with a new frame (not wheels/rims) for $1700 plus shipping. This greatly offends me as this is a 2005 boat not an older 1990 model that ive abused. I want any and every potential Triton boat/Marine Master trailer owner to know what they could experience in the future!
www.Finesseangler.com
bigbass111

Post by bigbass111 »

I feel you pain, but almost all Tube frame's will rust with standing water.

You also have to look at it from Marine Master's standpoint. They get fraudulant claims everyday, just like all manufactures. How do they really know this boat has never been in saltwater???

This in no way is Triton's fault, all they can do is direct you to the correct people.

I have seen case's where Triton has followed through on claims that were something they should have never done.

We had a customer one time file a claim because his boat was stolen and found in a rock quarry laying on boulders stripped and no trailer. He had it pieced back together by his insurance company and 2 months later he found 3 large cracks in the hull under the chine (with gouges)....

Somehow he got Triton to fix it for him.....These are just everyday deals that these boat builders deal with...

You may have never used it in saltwater, but how do they know.....And how would we know.....Its just your word, Right...

I think you would find it hard FOR ANY boat company right now to cover a product 3 years out of warranty..

just my 02

Hopefully everything works out for you
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

kb wrote:Shawn this is not a Triton boat issue it is a Marine Master Trailers issue.
You'd think that since Triton uses Marine Master as their OEM supplier they'd advocate much more on his behalf. The boat, trailer and motor were sold to him as a package, and as a consumer I'd expect good customer support if unexpected or premature defects started showing up in one or the other.

Will Dodge refer a customer to Cummins if the factory installed a lemon motor into his truck?
Last edited by fish_food on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shawn R.

Post by Shawn R. »

BigBass,
The way they would know this is a legitimate claim. My mechanic for one, he just replaced a water pump for me and verified that he can tell motors used in saltwater versus freshwater and will put it in writing. second: I mainly fished lake mission viejo who inspected my trailer and boat before launch each time (clean and dry) and i fished there 2-3 times a week and they document every boat put on the lake. Trust me i have enough evidence i dont need to explain myself further but i hear what your saying i am the exception here and i want something done.
www.Finesseangler.com
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Shawn, you are the original owner of the boat right?
sker13

Post by sker13 »

Shawn R. wrote:BigBass,
The way they would know this is a legitimate claim. My mechanic for one, he just replaced a water pump for me and verified that he can tell motors used in saltwater versus freshwater and will put it in writing. second: I mainly fished lake mission viejo who inspected my trailer and boat before launch each time (clean and dry) and i fished there 2-3 times a week and they document every boat put on the lake. Trust me i have enough evidence i dont need to explain myself further but i hear what your saying i am the exception here and i want something done.
Good Luck getting a resolution that you are completely satisfied with. I believe you are in for a long fight if you intend to get a brand new trailer free. Triton recently changed ownership but I have no idea if this helps or hurts your situation. Nothing impresses me more than a company that steps up and does what they can to help the customer in a situation like this. If you are two years out of warranty there may be no better solution then a trailer at cost. Maybe they can piggy back the shipping with a west coast Triton shipment? Again good luck! Is your trailer unsafe? If not would it take another 5 years to become unsafe? You really would have to bead/soda blast the trailer and open it up to know if it was repairable. There are metal guys who specialize in this kind of repair. I sold a 23 year old boat and trailer (C channel frame not box) with almost zero rust so I am not trying to minimize your damage. Just curious.
There's One, Sterling
Hardcore Bass Apparel
hcbass.com
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

Lets do the math.

If you bought that boat in 2005, lets say half a year, thats 26 weeks.
2006-2009 at 52 weeks a year
2010-26weeks

Thats about 260 weeks, right?
At your use of 2-3 times a week at LMV. Right? [those are your words]
Lets call it 2.5 times to spilt the difference, ok?
Thats about 650 trips to the lake! Trailer in and out of the water. Water drying INSIDE the frame the whole time?

Thats alot of use I would say and were you not a guide at LMV which makes this commercial use which would void the warranty even more? The bottom line with warrantee's are they have a start and a stop. Looks to me that yours ended along time ago. Sorry but those are the facts as I see this. At some point in time a MFG's responsability ends. Is it fair? Might not seem so at this time, but there is a reason that some things just cost more than others. Alot of some boat mfg's pricing has potential future warranty built into the price. Alot of Mfg's use outside vendors, [you dont call Triton if your Lowrance goes out, right? Same thing here.] They have their own warranty and an outside vendor built the trailer. Rick G.
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
lunker punker

Post by lunker punker »

I feel your pain! My champion trailer is a rust bucket. The tubular trailers flat out suck. They WILL get cancer and get it bad they WILL. No way around it with tubular. C channel or aluminum is the only way to go. 5 years is unacceptable IMO. Mine is 11 years old though. Next year I wil be ordering a custom aluminum from pacific trailers. There is a good reason the real enthusiast non cookie cutter brands dont use tubular trailers. They are all usually a boatmate trailer out of Tn. The aluminums scratch easy but are light and will never rust. C channel trailers will stand up to decades of use especially if care is taken. Good luck. If it doesnt pan out pacific trailer is in southern Ca.
Big baits,big fish,big smiles!!!!!
Shawn R.

Post by Shawn R. »

Yes Rick i was a guide for about 2 of the 5 years i owned the boat. Part time might i add, ive held full time jobs 40 hours a week ever since i owned the boat pretty week excuse for a commercial fisherman if thats what you wanna call me!!! JK. I know its hard for you to put yourself in my shoes you are a dealer and you get a new boat every year!!! Try forking out all your hard earned cash and having your trailer fall apart this soon. I dont think its out of hand to fish 2 or 3 times a week if you dry your trailer completely off. If i didnt know better i would say you are a Triton dealer now? I never heard you defend them in the past! I will take this as far as i can and let someone else judge who is right!
www.Finesseangler.com
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

There is a difference in almost all Mfg's warranty's from pleasure use to commercial use. Biggest one I can think of is Mercury. If you make a living off of guiding the warranty goes from 5 years to 1. Plain and simple. Dont shoot the messinger. Is your trailer a tube frame or C-channel? You can dry off the inside of a tube trailer? As a boat dealer for 30 years I have pretty much heard all the warranty excuses there are. For them to have to replace a trailer that is 3 years out of warranty that is used for commercial use, 120 plus times a year, is a stretch IMHO. You would have been much better off to have just pleaded your case in private and asked them to make you the best deal possable on a new trailer, even though you realise yours is no longer covered. Going on a public forum gets you nowhere with them. Just tell them the truth Shawn, its much easier. Most boat/trailer companies I have ever dealt with bend over backwards to cover warrantys, even after they expire---------Sometimes. Good luck. Rick G. :D
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
Guy Williams

Post by Guy Williams »

Rick G wrote:There is a difference in almost all Mfg's warranty's from pleasure use to commercial use. Biggest one I can think of is Mercury. If you make a living off of guiding the warranty goes from 5 years to 1. Plain and simple. Dont shoot the messinger. Is your trailer a tube frame or C-channel? You can dry off the inside of a tube trailer? As a boat dealer for 30 years I have pretty much heard all the warranty excuses there are. For them to have to replace a trailer that is 3 years out of warranty that is used for commercial use, 120 plus times a year, is a stretch IMHO. You would have been much better off to have just pleaded your case in private and asked them to make you the best deal possable on a new trailer, even though you realise yours is no longer covered. Going on a public forum gets you nowhere with them. Just tell them the truth Shawn, its much easier. Most boat/trailer companies I have ever dealt with bend over backwards to cover warrantys, even after they expire---------Sometimes. Good luck. Rick G. :D
WOW, I never knew of this. Rick, what about "Professional Fisherman" with "Memo" deals being they fish as often as guides? Or is there a clause in the deal for that? Hope the "New" and "Old" guides know of this because that would suck if something popped and then found out later!!
Guy Williams
You know it's going to hell when the best rapper out there is white and the best golfer is black.
Charles Barkley
Shawn R.

Post by Shawn R. »

Rick, This is all news to me as well as Guy it sounds like.
With all due respect, please inform all of your potential customers if they are planning on guiding or professional fishing or any type oif fishing 2-3 days a week that that this may void any warranty in the future on the Mercury motor as well as the boat and trailer! The reason i brought this in an open forum is because i want the public to know what im going through i want the public to ask these questions before they spend $30,000-$45,000 on a new boat!!!! Triton, Champion, Ranger etc. I want the company and the dealers to back up their product! NONE of your customers would stand it for a second if the trailer fell apart after 5 years in freshwater!! Am i wrong guys?????
www.Finesseangler.com
Shawn R.

Post by Shawn R. »

I forgot to answer your other question im sorry! Yes i am the original owner and yes the trailer is unsafe to drive it is about ready to break apart up towards the front signal light it cannot be repaired! Its funny most of the fisherman feel my pain and know what im going through. Boat dealers, Boat companies, Trailer companies want to blame this on me!!! Amazing!!
www.Finesseangler.com

Post by 619 »

I heard stories of some boats that were at AIM when they went out of business that they were trying to pass off back to the bank saying they were still new but the boats were used.

Also heard stories about guys that worked there taking a bass boat fishing out in the Bay and Kelp beds. Flying over waves and thrashing the boat. Not sure if they ever used any stock boats for this. I doubt they would. I know we wouldn't.

Like I said I didn't see it..But that was the news on the street back then.

Was your boat a special order or a boat in stock ?.
offduty

Post by offduty »

I have a 99 Triton on a 99 MFI tubular trailer. I have a couple little spots of rust by some welds, nothing that would compromise the structural integrity. I fish average 3 days a week sometimes 4. I will never buy a tubular trailer again after reading this post. I will definitely read the fine print warranty wise before buying anything major again. I would expect to get 4 times the life out of a trailer at least but I am not an expert on boat trailer life. If I had shelled out full price for a new boat, motor and trailer I would be pissed if the trailer only lasted 5 years. I can only surmise you got a trailer made out of substandard steel as I have never seen a trailer that had rusted through.

Good luck
Rich

Post by 619 »

We have some stuff that will kill rust. Local company good stuff. gallons quarts and pints.

Anglers San Diego 619-449-3474
Shawn R.

Post by Shawn R. »

It was a special order brand new or so i thought?
www.Finesseangler.com
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

Shawn R. wrote:I forgot to answer your other question im sorry! Yes i am the original owner and yes the trailer is unsafe to drive it is about ready to break apart up towards the front signal light it cannot be repaired! Its funny most of the fisherman feel my pain and know what im going through. Boat dealers, Boat companies, Trailer companies want to blame this on me!!! Amazing!!
I am not laying any blame on anyone. What I am trying to impress is that your warranty is expired, plain and simple. In fact, long expired and to call them out is wrong. If you had a papertrail of warranty claims WHILE it was still under warranty claiming it was rusting, then that is a different story. Then you would have a leg to stand on. Tournament fishermen are not considered Commercial/Guides or Government use and the standard warrantys still apply. Rick G.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

For those of you who haven't had to deal with warranty issues, let me tell you that Rick and Anglers will go to bat for you every time.
I had issues with my Tracker, they got them dealt with.
Same with my current boat.
Rick lives off repeat business, and word of mouth.
There's no way he is going to stiff a customer.
Sometimes we don't want to hear the truth when it comes to how warrantys are enforced, and what is our responsibility as boat owners, but Rick doesn't make that stuff up.
I'm thinking of my first trailer's tires, which always had issues. Turns out I had them under inflated. Operator error. Plus cheap tires, Carlyle, from overseas.
Same with broken leaf springs on that trailer. They break, and that's the nature of trailer springs.
But Rick got my hull replaced when it had cracked, and my seats replaced when they broke, all under warranty. I heard from other Tracker owners whose dealerships blew them off when they had similar issues.
He will fight to get stuff covered if it's at all possible, and you can't ask for more than that.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Shawn R.

Post by Shawn R. »

Understood about the warranty expired, my question to you Rick is have you ever seen seen a trailer used only in freshwater rust out so bad this soon that it is unsafe to drive? Every dealer ive contacted here in CO. say this is a first, a defect somethign went wrong! Also just to revisit, am i not supposed to fish 2-3days a week? Regardless of whether i would be guiding or just love to fish? Does somebody fishing alot void the warranty and do your customers know this ahead of time? It sounds like you do go to bat for your customers but put yoursefl in my shoes! Like i said i will let someone else judge who is right in the end you dont know, i dont know, im going to present the facts and let the cards lie where they may!!!
www.Finesseangler.com
Bass Pro Shopper

Post by Bass Pro Shopper »

Shawn, I have a 2004 Triton with a MM tube trailer (actually got it in fall of 2003). I knew about the rusting problems such frames can have when I ordered the boat, but that's the only type that was offered. I would have preferred a C-channel. So, I knew to keep more of an an eye out for rusting.

I've only fished my boat in freshwater as well. If it's any consolation: over the years, and of course after the warranty expired, I started noticing the first signs of rusting. First it was on the nuts and bolts that hold the bunks down. Then, there were certain areas at welds and where the paint maybe didn't coat as well. But, there is nothing like the problem you have, and I feel your frustration. After reading this post, I'll give my trailer a better inspection. In your case though, it maybe just one of those things.

I take it you bought your rig new too, but I'm wondering if it was used, maybe someone else dunked it in salt before you got it? That could have started the problem.

Also, you might want to give Walstrong trailers in Gardena a call. They repair, as well as custom-build, boat trailers. Bob's a great guy and maybe you can get a better deal than what MM is offering. Good luck.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's more serious than that!
Shawn R.

Post by Shawn R. »

Bass Pro,
Thanks for the feedback my boat was brand new! I live in Col. now so i cant go to Gardena. I may or may not get anywhere but i will make darn sure everyone in the US knows about the potential rust problem and what the company offered (or didnt offer) me!
www.Finesseangler.com
K.C.K.

Post by K.C.K. »

Unbelievable! If I shell out between 30 to 40k on a boat and trailer I would expect the trailer to last the life of the boat.. Trailers are not like batteries that you have to change every 5 years.. This sounds like a design flaw in these trailers that should be remedied. Cosmetic rust is acceptable after 5 years BUT STRUCTURAL IS NOT. sure wear and tear items IE paint' tires bunks, and bearings should not be covered after warrenty is up but welds and structual metal should last the lifetime of the boat... I think you would have a good case in court if this trailer came apart on a freeway and someone got hurt. if these trailers are prone to rusting from the inside out they should have the interior rustproofed from day one... Sorry it sounds like Triton is using a substandard trailer for there boats. they were my next choice for a new boat but now I'm having second thoughts. I could see if the boat was used in salt but it wasn't. sounds like he has the docs to prove it...and this is Tritons gig if that is the trailer that comes in the boat package. when times are good I launch my boat 2 to 3 times a week glad I have a c channel trailer...
For the Rich there is therapy, for the rest of us there is fishing
Later K.C.
bigbass111

Post by bigbass111 »

Rick hit the nail on the head with this one...

Shawn,

To me it just sounds like you are going to agree with people that agree with you. I'm sorry for your issue's but it is what it is. The trailer is 3 years out of warranty and nobody truly knows that boats history but you. Moaning and groaning will get you nothing in this case, take the discounted deal they offered you and sell the rig if that helps.

I really do see your point, but your stuck. The warranty is plain as day and they have ZERO liabilities at this point. And yes, I have been doing this for a while now, I have seen this issue with many brands, many times.

This is unfortunate 1000% and I hope you figure something out to get you back on the water..

Art, whats the deal flipping rocks....you cant scare this guy with hear say :wink: :wink:
K.C.K.

Post by K.C.K. »

He may be SOL on this one but it is good he is getting out there and letting the public know There is a problem with this style of trailer...I think this thread has opened a lot of peoples eyes and I for one will not buy a boat on one of these trailers if it is going to go to sh*t with normal use...
For the Rich there is therapy, for the rest of us there is fishing
Later K.C.
Shawn R.

Post by Shawn R. »

And still you cant get one dealer or company rep. to admit this trailer is a defect of epic proportions!!! Thats funny all the dealers here who are unbiased are telling me they have never seen this before and i have a legitimate case!!! Either tell me this is a defect and help me or tell me i shouldnt be fishing 2-3 times a week (i average more like 2) Come on dealers, Triton, MM trailers, someone???
www.Finesseangler.com
Bass Pro Shopper

Post by Bass Pro Shopper »

I want to clarify that the rusting issues I described on my trailer are really fairly light. It's a little worse at the bolts of the bunks (the washers and metal surrounding the bolts than the bolts themselves), and I'm keeping more of an eye on that, but still not to a point where it needs repair. I'm more concerned about all the creaking my trailer's been making during travel in the past year or so than the rust.

I just strike it all up to an aging trailer though. From what I understand, trailers don't last the life of a boat. I've been told you'll have to replace a trailer long before you ever replace the boat if you hang on to it long enough.

With the recent Genmar buyout of Triton, it might be tougher to get a rep to get more involved. But it is really an issue to pursue with just Marine Master. Again, I'm sorry you're in a much worse situation with your trailer than what I described with mine, but you just might have to bite the bullet on this one.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's more serious than that!
kb

Post by kb »

Not hard at all to get the Triton Rep involved....I asked him to send me the numbers on the trailer and told him I would try to talk to Brad and he told me he has already done that. I am not the rep for Marine Master and that IS who he has to deal with....

kb
California Outdoor Hall of Fame
Ultimate Bass Radio Saturday's on KHTK Sac Town Sports 1140
Shawn R.

Post by Shawn R. »

Just Thank the few that have PM'ed me, i am going to take you up on your advice. I will continue to post my story in many forums and spread the word if i dont hear from the company with an acceptable answer this week! And yes i will be honest i did use my boat about maybe? 2 times a week (i figured it out on paper last night) will any dealer please go on record and tell me and everyone that this voids the warranty and its ok for a trailer to fall apart this soon???? Are we supposed to fish once a week, once a month?? What do you say?
www.Finesseangler.com
bigbass111

Post by bigbass111 »

Are you serious??????????????

You make zero sense right now....

What warranty is there to void, your warranty is 3yrs expired....

Rick did not say in anyway that using your boat 3 times a week would void a warranty. HE SIMPLY SAID YOU GOT GREAT USE OUT OF IT AND IT REALLY NEVER HAD A CHANCE TO DRY INSIDE THE FRAME.....

Say all you want on forums, it will not help in anyway. The manufactures will not look at this like you think they will. They have every right to not help you. In no way is it bad customer service either, you had a warranty period and now it is up (not by one year, 2 years but 3).

If you want sympathy go buy a new boat. They will gladly agree with you for 40K.

Good luck, I still hope in some way you get what you want.

But dont bet on it...
Shawn R.

Post by Shawn R. »

Well see what happens, i worded the last post wrong but none the less try empathizing with a customer rather then defending the product. I'll keep you posted on what happens as this will set a future trend one way or the other im sure.
Back to the Broncos game!!!
www.Finesseangler.com
fishbonz412

Post by fishbonz412 »

You live in Colorado? Is it possible that salt or other caustic materila is used on some of the roads where you live/travel in the wintertime? this could accelerate rust even if used in fresh water..... and may still be around during the non-winter season....

it's too bad. good luck in getting an acceptable solution....
--Sometimes it is best to be quiet and be thought the fool than to speak out and remove all doubt---
Shawn R.

Post by Shawn R. »

Fish, its not possible. Ive only been here since March, the boat since April and its been in covered storage never even been on the road towing it during the snow (the lakes were frozen over then). That theory would make sense though as they do salt the roads for sure.
Take care,
www.Finesseangler.com
sker13

Post by sker13 »

I have to say the warranty period for the structure of the trailer is a joke. If that is all the faith they have in their product I will avoid them if at all possible. I understand bearings, brakes, leaf springs (this one is actually a joke as well) , axles, whatever wearing out but the friggin frame gimme a break. It doesn't cost that much more to properly protect metal from corrosion. Might as well be made in China. Where is the pride in workmanship gone in America's companies? My trailer was made in 8 of 2000 and has zero signs of rust anywhere. I really don't care if he doesn't have a leg to stand on. The warranty period is a joke and I for one appreciate knowing to avoid MM box frame trailers. Should he take the 1700.00 deal maybe and maybe not. That is for him to decide. It is his money and last I checked this is an open forum and in America we are allowed to speak our mind about what we feel are unfair business practices. If it was me. Would I really care how some executive, at some company, who makes more money than me, by cutting the same corners that caused my issues to begin with feels about me posting on the internet? Hell No! I could care less how they "look at it". I respect KB for sticking his neck out in these situations. He is a great ambassador for Triton! Triton offers a life time hull warranty. Maybe they should do business with like minded manufacturers?
There's One, Sterling
Hardcore Bass Apparel
hcbass.com
Shawn R.

Post by Shawn R. »

Thanks sker, seems i only offended Dealers for some strange reason? Email has been sent to Earl Bentz of Triton whether or not i get anywhere it sure feels good to get it out in the open!!
www.Finesseangler.com
Andersd

Post by Andersd »

I have a 2009 trito tr21 that has the marine master trailer and it has bad rust behind the fender wheel wells and the from of the fender. Never seen a trailer have such rust

I rally do not want to
Invest 6000 into Anne's trailer so I am going to find someone that does welding and hopefully they can replace the whole rail.

Your right. They do not like to stand by there product
jiggin4bass

Post by jiggin4bass »

12 year old trailer and you want the trailer company too replace or repair it GOOD LUCK on that one
Jeff C.

Post by Jeff C. »

Are you fellas aware this is a 7 year old thread?