A Day of Nuts a Bullards Bar...........

Cooch

A Day of Nuts a Bullards Bar...........

Post by Cooch »

was better than a day of...... well let's just keep it nice and say better than sitting at home! HAR!!!!

We were greeted with a great morning up there and some very good laughs before we even started as we were all meeting in the parking lot, all 17 of us and our 7 boats. Seems there was a great buzz at the ISE that there was going to be a 60 boat tournament on Bullards this weekend. Ya gotta love the internet rumor mill! I had heard this Thursday at ISE, I also got several phone calls asking about it as well. As we're all standing there at the top of the ramp, a couple of rigs pull up asking about this big tournament and if they can git in. We laughed and said "SURE, but it's just a lil turkey shoot among friends!" They asked how much ta enter, we said, oh, it's free! Thye decided ta just go fishing on their own. Then another guy comes flying up, and it turns out ta be one of the marina operators, he's there cause he got word of this huge tournament today and brought his crew ta help us manage the parking and launch boats. Umm, sorry ya had ta git out of bed Meastro, I think we can manage with our 7 boats, 4 of which are already in the water. Needless ta say, we all got a big kick out of this and it started our morning off with a lot of belly laughing. I guess the best thing about the rumor mill of our big event, it did us a great service and kept away many of the weekend anglers who might have showed up otherwise! HAR! HAR! HAR!

A big thanks to Sean, sTony, SteveM, ChrisA, PatD, FredP, Justin, Rob, Ash, MikeT, Mac, Danny Miller, JamesH, Korny, Kap and whom ever I might have missed, that showed up, was great once again seeing and enjoyin' a lil fishin & home fixins with old friends! We all missed Obi and his sister, seems they slept in and didn't arrive to the blast off or weigh-in on time, hence, they have been awarded co-owners of this events NUMB NUTS!!!!!

The bite for us seemed to be a lot tougher than expected, especially since we planned to all be back at 1:00pm. It'd be interesting to hear from those who remained or went back out afterwards how that afternoon bite was. I got the pleasure ta fish with Mike Treamont and his buddy Rob, they were kind enough to take a 3rd person and his 7 various jig rods on the Mike's boat. We decided to just stay right there inside and around the houseboats to see if we could put some kind of pattern together with all the various bank contours and structure patterns that were present. Unfortunately we only caught a few small dinks, although, I did catch one 14.5" keeper on an old 1/4 oz Smally Darthead jig made for me many years ago by Korny. I couldn't help myself and rub it in a little on the dock at weigh-in showing Bob the jig I used. "Oh naturally Cooch, one of MY old jigs!" HAR! That 1lb 1oz fish, almost didn't make it to the well, as I was sure there were gonna be better fish caught by the time we were done. But I changed my mind just before tossing it telling myself, "Dood, if it's a tough day, yer gonna need that fish!" So reluctantly, I fizzed it and put it in the well.

After 3 hours in there we decided to move out to the main lake. As we're heading out we saw Sean, Mac & Zeek in a big red clay bank bay, as we shut down to idle over and check on em, we watched as Chris(Zeek) yanked up and reeled in that 4 lb 9oz fish that eventually turned out to be good enough for Big Nut fish of the day. We hooted with em, shared our experiences so far and moved off to a spot ahead that looke really good and was different from what we fished back by the damn. It was at this point I decided to stick with the big 3/4 oz Jig-n-Craw the rest of the day. No more Sneko, darter head, smal jig or Hula, I was gonna stick with the 3/4 ton pick up, that same frog hair jig I used years ago at Oroville in that Bassmasters event up there. This place is just a spitting image of Oroville, other than it really had no flats that we could see, just steep banks everywhere we went. I poked that 4 lb 3oz fish on my 3rd cast in this new spot, in about 35 feet, with the boat sitting in 70. We purty much stuck with that the rest of the day. We had several missed fish, a few more dinks, and Mike caught a keeper about about 13" that we recorded, but turned loose due to it was caught in about 60 foot and it's stomach was already bloating out it's throat. Unfortunately 1:00pm came upon us too quickly and we had ta head in. I was kinda surprised by the lack of fish caught, even more surprised to find out my weight for the two fish was good enough to take my 7th, COUNT EM Santora, 7th TOP NUT.

The BBQ and eats later was awesome as usual. As tradition has it, the Top Nut gits ta pick the next event. I'll keep ya all posted for the Spring NutCase and it's location. In the mean time, here's a few picks thanks to ZEEK!
Chris Anderson - Big Nut
Chris Anderson - Big Nut
6x4-257-lr.jpg (59.64 KiB) Viewed 3588 times
Cooch - Top Nut
Cooch - Top Nut
6x4-262-lr.jpg (56.32 KiB) Viewed 3588 times
Pat Dilling and his Jumbalaya
Pat Dilling and his Jumbalaya
6x4-266-lr.jpg (67.08 KiB) Viewed 3588 times
The guys waiting on Eats!
The guys waiting on Eats!
6x4-268-lr.jpg (146.12 KiB) Viewed 3588 times
Sausitsas on the Barbie!
Sausitsas on the Barbie!
6x4-273-lr.jpg (123.68 KiB) Viewed 3587 times
NEXT!!!!!!
g-man

Re: A Day of Nuts a Bullards Bar...........

Post by g-man »

GJ Cooch, those are two nice spots you guys caught!
100% LL
Pat

Post by Pat »

Had a very nice day, even caught a couple fish. I would say the fishing was very good, the catching not so much. The company was excellent with quite a few long time friends (I suppose I could have said "Old") and also met some new ones. Food was outstanding, I really like Danny's lake X stew. One the way home we were discussing that we had at least 3 people there who were at the original Nutcase Classic out of Orwood in 1990 something. Weather sure was better at this one. Thanks to all who attended for helping me celebrate a most excellent birthday. Congrats to Cooch and Zeek for winning their Nuts!

Pat
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Post by mac (Doyle McEwen) »

I have to chip in on the great event..I was expecting more people and more fish, yet the event wasn't a disappointment at all..A couple of guys I hadn't seen and talked to in ages, the food was fantastic and more than enough for everyone..We even had a brand new Nutcase there, Kap Evans brought along on of his friends from his wortk at Stanford..Welcome aboard Bjorg (I hope I spelled thet right), it was great meeting you and I hope to see you at some of our future events..Don't be afraid to jump on the site and ask all your questions..You can and will neet some damned good fishing partners..Congrats to Cooch and Zeek on their catches..For all you guys that think you have to have the best and fanciest fishing gear, you can take a lesson from Zeek, He said his gear hadn't been used in years and it most certainly wasn't even close to new, but it worked and he knew how to use it..He and I had a great time swapping out on the back of Sean's boat..I managed to put the first fish in our boat, but it was more aptly sized for use as bait..I had a few other bites but failed to convert any of them to catches..Just watching Chris catch his tank was worth the trip..Also got to try some of Cooch's famed saucitas, excellent eating, Pat Dillings jambalaya was to die for, as was Denny Miller's stew..Mike Tremont had some 16 bean soup with ham hocks that would have warmed anyones tastebuds,,There was enough food to feed twice as many people as we had..The fishing, or rather the catching could have been better, but the get together was fantastic..

mac
Take a kid fishing, and don't forget about us older kids either..
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

I believe there were 5 of us Pat from that original Nutcase Classic, You, sTony, Zeek, Fred Presten and myself.
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

This is what it is all about, fishing and friends for those that didnt want to enter our "free BIG TOURNAMENT" bummer, you missed a great opportunity to enjoy the eats and commoradrie of the day.

As always it was great to get together with all these "Nutcases," catch up with old faces and friends and meet new ones. That is what this is all about!

I only had one goal at the begining of the day, BEAT COOCH, Korny asked why and I said because we will never hear the end of it, now we ALL have to suffer the consequences of Cooch winning yet another top nut NOT on the RIVER. :?

Big thank you to James Huffmon and Korny for taking me on a guide trip and allowing me to catch the trout and short fish - I appreciate the table scraps. Thanks to all the guys for the EXCELLENT grub, I ate like a king and had some good laughs.

I'm lookin forward to the next Nutcase - hope to see some more faces thier.
tunaman

Post by tunaman »

Sounds like you all had fun, and sorry I missed this one.

Congrats partner for yet another Top Nut - from the back deck (again) no less!

I'll have to give ole' Hubspinner a call to see what happened! :shock: Must not have been on fish!!! :shock: :wink: :lol:

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
sTony

Post by sTony »

Well, it sure was fun to get together and take on what proved to be a tough bite up at Bullard's Bar.

Final review for the Nuts to Nutcases would be:

Cooch - TopNut
Zeke - BigNut
Ash - OddNut
ObiHub - NumbNut

It sure was nice to see some folks I haven't seen in some time. Ol' Cooch gets to pick the date and location of the next Nutcase Classic. I had a blast and am looking forward to the next one.

Too bad some folks did their best to scare anglers away from our little get together, :roll: . We had less then ten boats out there and weighed in about as many fish. As low impact as ever.

sTony
Hardshell

Post by Hardshell »

OMG, sorry I missed this one! Looks like lots of guys there that I haven't seen in years.

Hardshell
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Hardshell wrote:OMG, sorry I missed this one! Looks like lots of guys there that I haven't seen in years.

Hardshell
Yeah, woulda been very cool ta see ya Greeney and meet the new "BUTCH"!!!!!!!!
Hardshell

Post by Hardshell »

Here's Butch...................
Attachments
DSC04060.jpg
DSC04060.jpg (12.25 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Dang Steve, that is one mean lookin dog..Does he keep everyone away from that Legend,,

mac
Obi-Hub

Post by Obi-Hub »

tunaman wrote:Sounds like you all had fun, and sorry I missed this one.

Congrats partner for yet another Top Nut - from the back deck (again) no less!

I'll have to give ole' Hubspinner a call to see what happened! :shock: Must not have been on fish!!! :shock: :wink: :lol:

Roger
No Roger, it wasn't because I wasn't on fish, my reason for being at New Bullards Bar changed last Monday due to "things" going on in my life. Therefore, the weekend became more of a time to do some soul searching and get some rest and not so much about fishing. My "other" needs took precedence over fishing.

Hey Rog, I will give you a shout later!!
~~~Gary "Obi-Hub" Collins
:mrgreen: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :mrgreen:
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

I'm one of those who had to miss this one and it really bummed me out. I fished the '2nd' winter nutcase way back when and fished with Chris Anderson that day. Sure would have been nice to catch up with him. And I haven't seen Pat since the nut case at Folsom a few years ago.
Congrats Cooch; I'll be sure to give Santora a call so that he knows you called him out. :D
For you folks who read about these events but don't ever go to them. Your loss.
Great people, great food, great memories.
Sorry I wasn't there.
Come on Cooch. Where's the Spring Fling going to be? I want to start making my plans.
- Wolfeman
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Thanks again guys for a great time and great grub! Cooch you still owe me for keeping Korny and Ash away from the fish..... I'll catch up with you later :D

James
BS'r

Not again....

Post by BS'r »

Congrats, How many are you ahead now?

Hey, I'm in the next one. I'll be back from hiatus in a month and back on the river.

Used to be the dropshot and now just a bunch of BS....
Beach Steve Biechman

Post by Beach Steve Biechman »

Wish I'd been there but I was to LAZY!!! Hope to be there next time.
BTW Know anyone that wants a custom rod? They are going cheep these days.

Beach
Beach Steve Biechman
bassnzeek

Post by bassnzeek »

Wow, and I thought I really didn't miss bass fishin and Nutcases and just about the greatest folks I've ever known. It took about three seconds to open my eyes to what I had been missing for the last four or so years.

A big thaks to Sean for putting me as a third man in his boat and to Mac for sheraing the back seat with me. You guys are great exampls of what a Nutcase is all about. Fun fishin with great folks. :lol: Thanks to Pat for sending me a note telling me about the event and suggesting maybe I should go. Thanks too to DropShot (BS) for showing me the right way to do your favorite way to fish a long time ago. Bob, it still a killer technique. :D Manybe one day I will useit to beat Cooch from the back of his boat. :P

For all the former Nutcases out there that haven't been to one in a while as well as those that haven't takin part on a Nutcase event, when Cooch puts the plans together for the Spring event do your self a favor and attend it. It just might be the funnest time you'll ever have on the water.

Zeek
Cooch

Here's a few more Pics, of a few more Nuts!

Post by Cooch »

Sean, X-Top Nut
Sean, X-Top Nut
6x4-253-lr.jpg (121.8 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
Justin and Danny, pricks gonna win it again....
Justin and Danny, pricks gonna win it again....
6x4-254-lr.jpg (139.11 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
Push, push it away nowwwww!
Push, push it away nowwwww!
6x4-255-lr.jpg (101.99 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
JamesH and his lil chunk...
JamesH and his lil chunk...
6x4-256-lr.jpg (114.36 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
Team Dinkmiester
Team Dinkmiester
6x4-259-lr.jpg (126.69 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
No, I'm not late, they're the ones with the cell phones!
No, I'm not late, they're the ones with the cell phones!
6x4-260-lr.jpg (121.19 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
Yeas, Bullards does have it's share of dinks too.
Yeas, Bullards does have it's share of dinks too.
6x4-261-lr.jpg (91.8 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
See, told ya, Ash and James confirm it!
See, told ya, Ash and James confirm it!
6x4-264-lr.jpg (127.34 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
This debate was over quickly, NUMBNUT = Gary!
This debate was over quickly, NUMBNUT = Gary!
6x4-267-lr.jpg (117.58 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
Mac and his big pan of Ribs!
Mac and his big pan of Ribs!
6x4-269-lr.jpg (116.65 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
C'mon Cooch, where's the Sausitsas? We can only eat so many of these...
C'mon Cooch, where's the Sausitsas? We can only eat so many of these...
6x4-271-lr.jpg (132.69 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
Fine, Steve, go grab that pan, these are done.....
Fine, Steve, go grab that pan, these are done.....
6x4-272-lr.jpg (102.23 KiB) Viewed 2755 times
Obi-Hub

Re: Here's a few more Pics, of a few more Nuts!

Post by Obi-Hub »

Cooch wrote:This debate was over quickly, NUMBNUT = Gary!
Wow... A guy gets the NUMBNUT for taken care of his health needs ... WOW!! :shock:

You guys have been trying to hang it on me for years, guess you finally found something that would stick :lol:

I guess next time you won't know if I am fishing until I show up :roll:
Kevin Evans - Kap

Post by Kevin Evans - Kap »

It was a great time even though I was sick as a dog, flu sucks... :x

Kind of nostalgic for me as we had some of the original nuts out there, Korny was there, Fred Preston, Pat Dilling, Cooch and sTony and lots of great food. The grub was top-notch I tell ya, Ribs, Jambalaya, Beef stew, Sausistas, Beans and beer....and a whole lot of BS.... fishing was tough w/ 49 degree water and full moon, bluebird skies and they were dropping the water 10 inches per day... the fish were suspended and not relating to the bottom much. The only way I got bit was to deadstick a bait for 2-3 minutes at least. I had a fish come from 70 + feet of water on a Drop shotted crosstail shad(fizzed). I did not catch anything shallower than 35ft and they all came on a 1/8oz dart head, nothing on the 1/4oz head, and no jig fish, Go figure... :?
No swimbait fish, no reaction bite what so ever... but a beautiful lake for sure.

Missed seeing Wolfeman, Hugo Girol, Hardshell.... and whoever else I forgot that did not make it... :lol:

Glad I went and looking forward to the next one.
later,
Kap
You cant fix stupid, but you can vote it out...
sTony

Post by sTony »

Obi-Hub wrote:I guess next time you won't know if I am fishing until I show up :roll:
Maybe so, this time we knew you showed up and still didn't fish. That's worthy of a NumbNut all on it's own. :lol:

sTony
mac (Doyle McEwen)

Gary, you know we will pick on you, just cause we can..Besides we don't ever want you to think we don't care about you..I did miss not seeing you at the feed..

mac
Obi-Hub

Post by Obi-Hub »

sTony wrote:
Obi-Hub wrote:I guess next time you won't know if I am fishing until I show up :roll:
Maybe so, this time we knew you showed up and still didn't fish. That's worthy of a NumbNut all on it's own. :lol:

sTony
Well I guess a person's health don't mean much to y'all :evil:
mrfishin86

Post by mrfishin86 »

I guess there was no need for anyone to worry about you all killing a bunch of big fish afterall...
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

mrfishin86 wrote:I guess there was no need for anyone to worry about you all killing a bunch of big fish afterall...
No kiddin, us uselesss old internet farts gotta catch em first! HAR! HAR! HAR!