Trolling motor interference

Moderators: Triton Mike, Doug Vahrenberg

kraetzer

Trolling motor interference

Post by kraetzer »

Went out on the water yesterday and noticed that i get some kind of interference on my side- and down-imaging screen (not on the 2D sonar) when i run the trolling motor. I never noticed that before so i'm not really sure where to start looking for the problem.
Any kind of help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Attachments
interference.jpg
interference.jpg (51.23 KiB) Viewed 1741 times
kraetzer

"I am ready to face any challenge that might be foolish enough to face me" - Dwight K. Schrute
basstrophy

Re: Trolling motor interference

Post by basstrophy »

I had some trolling motor noise that showed up on my Hummingbird unit everytime I hit the button. I first tried the noise filter settings on my unit, which didn't help at all. Then I installed a double ground which helped some. Then i installed a choke which stopped all the noise. I also noticed if my batteries became low the noise became more visable with just the double ground.

If you need help installing a double ground it's farely simple. read though this link I explained each step I went through before completely removing the noise. I'd suggest reading the complete link, you'll see where i asked the same question as you did, start from there.

http://www.westernbass.com/forum/viewto ... 48&t=65503
kraetzer

Post by kraetzer »

Hi basstrophy,
Thanks for the info. I will definitely take a look at it. I'm just wondering why this is showing up all of a sudden -> I haven't put any new equipment on the boat for the last 4-6 weeks and I never had a problem. I guess I was hoping that I just pushed the wrong button in one of the settings and that I don't have to do any kind of work on it.
Thanks again for the help,
kraetzer

"I am ready to face any challenge that might be foolish enough to face me" - Dwight K. Schrute
basstrophy

Post by basstrophy »

First thing to try is your Noise Filter setting. Here is a link from youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aChHpx5kMfQ

or
*press menu twice
*under sonar move your curser down to were it says noise filter
adjust your sonar; you have several settings
OFF
low
med
High
high 1
high 2
high 3
Doug Vahrenberg

Post by Doug Vahrenberg »

Call HB Customer Service 800-633-1468 they have steps to kill RF/Electrical Noise and can help you get it resolved.

Skeeter, Yamaha, MinnKota, Humminbird, Dobyns, LakeMaster, Transducer Shield & Saver, LuckyCraft, Daiwa, Dave's Custom Baits, OMEGA Tackle, Elite Tungsten, Angler Innovation, Massey Ferguson