Motor shutting off at speed...Fishing FLW in 2 days

revelation_04

Motor shutting off at speed...Fishing FLW in 2 days

Post by revelation_04 »

I have an 03 Champion 196/ 03 200 Opti. My motor is shutting off when I am driving down the lake. Sometimes its when I'm at WOT, but other times it just goes off at 3,000-3,500. It seems like it happens once the motor gets warmed up. No alarm going off it just dies.
I posted a few weeks ago http://www.bbcboards.net/zerothread?id=665165 and my boat is still not fixed. Motor was shutting off with alarm sometimes and others without alarm. Its been in/out of the shop for the past 3 weeks. The first time in they said it was the positive battery connection to the cranking battery. Then it didn't fix it so I took it back and they said it was crap in the VST and fuel line(DUH thats what I said to check in the first place). Then I got it back and the mechanic forgot to put the Throttle control bar back(don't know the name) I though every thing was fixed but now its cutting out when I am running. I am a boater in the FLW DELTA Everstart in 2 days and I don't have a boat to run!!!!! Please help.
civicrr

Re: Motor shutting off at speed...Fishing FLW in 2 days

Post by civicrr »

Did you get a printout like Don suggested?
rickd

Post by rickd »

Call Boatmasters, Drew and Mike will drop what they are doing and get you back on the water.

5162 Preston Avenue
Livermore, CA 94551
(925) 443-5775
civicrr

Post by civicrr »

rickd wrote:Call Boatmasters, Drew and Mike will drop what they are doing and get you back on the water.

5162 Preston Avenue
Livermore, CA 94551
(925) 443-5775
Yep. They do good work!
tl

Post by tl »

Sounds like a problem I had with an '03 EFI. Took a year to diagnose and it turned out to be a loose terminal in the cranking battery - not the connection ot the post but inside the battery itself. Not sure why that would shut the motor down but once the battery was replaced the problem went away.
NorCalBasser88

Post by NorCalBasser88 »

I had this same problem with my 96 mercury efi when i was running down the lake it would just die after changing multiple things it turned out being the computer in the motor.
Deejay quick

Post by Deejay quick »

had same problem it was the computer......replace to computer and it fix the prob
www.jdcbaits.com
www.luretamers.com
www.bassanglersfederation.com
www.skeeterboats.com
www.lasvegasmarine.com
www.kaenon.com
ScottyJ

Post by ScottyJ »

Did you check the wires to the kill switch? Could be a loose wire that comes disconnected as the boat bounces. Definitely sounds like something with the main electrical system tho. Start with the small things first that you can check like loose wires on the motor, battery, kill switch etc. Then work up to the bigger stuff like computer. Good luck!

Scott
"Jig fish are big fish"
jlw229

Post by jlw229 »

I had the same problem with my 03 Champion anglers ended up puting in a new key switch problem solved..
dogfish2

Post by dogfish2 »

Could be ignition switch. Had that happen because of moisture getting into keyway. Just something else to check that's not too difficult. Good luck.