Loss of bass fishing habitat

DeltaBassBuster

Loss of bass fishing habitat

Post by DeltaBassBuster »

I watched these guys a cuople years ago in 14 Mile Slough destroy some good bass fishing habitat and now they are doing it around Ladd's and the Sail Boat Club too. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU_SvFfB9cE
barse41

Re: Loss of bass fishing habitat

Post by barse41 »

At least they arent spraying :(
theres a fine line between fishin and standin on a boat like an idiot
fisheryan

Post by fisheryan »

oh well what can you do. i have a pond where they did that and the fish didnt change at all it just went from a frog bite to a jig bite! lol
ash
SpeedBump

Post by ash »

fisheryan wrote:oh well what can you do. i have a pond where they did that and the fish didnt change at all it just went from a frog bite to a jig bite! lol
That is pretty much the deal, it only sucks when you prefish the mat for frog and punch only to see the weed machine grazing behind you :lol: This is a much better alternative to spraying or pellets, I appreicate that marinas need to maintain thier slips and are doing so in a non invasive fashion.
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

Don't get me wrong I love to frog fish 14 mile but when your in there on the wrong tide its almost impossible to get out on the park side of the slouch I feel bad for the owners who can't even launch there boats cause of all the weeds back there. I think they need to run the machine back through here again.
thukidad

Post by thukidad »

Nothing wrong with weeding, but the timing is wrong.. that place can get really nasty
yjjustforme

Post by yjjustforme »

We went in on high tide and did so well on frogs that we didn't realize that the tide had already turned big time and it was a huge pain getting out. But that's part of the fun.
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

Seen this thing out by Mildred on Thursday..not sure what it does.. just cuts the top couple feet of weeds or what ?? like a harvester ???
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

stickbait wrote:Seen this thing out by Mildred on Thursday..not sure what it does.. just cuts the top couple feet of weeds or what ?? like a harvester ???
Yes Mark, it is like an underwater harvester. Some that I have seen here, they can adjust the blades to various levels depending on the depth of the area they are mowing.
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

Cooch wrote:
stickbait wrote:Seen this thing out by Mildred on Thursday..not sure what it does.. just cuts the top couple feet of weeds or what ?? like a harvester ???
Yes Mark, it is like an underwater harvester. Some that I have seen here, they can adjust the blades to various levels depending on the depth of the area they are mowing.
Thanks for that Andy....That's what I was kind of thinking..but it did not look like he was picking up any of the cuttings? But I did not look that good at what he was doing either..
DeltaBassBuster

Post by DeltaBassBuster »

I would rather see more of these machines on the delta instead of spraying, at least it would create more jobs for the umemployed people out there.
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

Regarding the "Loss of bass fishing habitat" subject line:

If anything, it seems like a net gain of bass habitat.

It's been my observation that much of the Delta has been getting weedier and grassier every year. Places that formerly had relatively sparse cover now have much more weed growth, and the weedlines seem to go out deeper and deeper.

I wasn't a big fan of making the adjustment. :lol:
Otay Michael

Post by Otay Michael »

They had a machine like that eating weeds at Clearlake, over by the park by Konocti last week. Ineresting. And no, I don't think it will hurt the spawn, as posted below the video. The fingelings will run from that just fine, it moves to slow to cut up fish. :D
Otay Michael

All I need to get into the money would be the four I usually get along with a 20# kicker.

Own no boring art: www.seewald.com
Name written in the book of life.
Guy Kelley

Post by Guy Kelley »

I.M.H.O. The State and Feds are causing more problems with the mechanical mowing of the weeds. Because and small node or steam that is cut from the main weed will re-grow into a new weed and propagate into more weed soon after the harvest or mowing. Problem ?

You bet your Pippy you got problem. Chopping off tops and leaving broken steams and leaves in water creates more new growth and regeneration of new plants . It is temporary at best and really a waste of time. Although it is a instant gratification fix for the Marina !

Solution other than spraying ? Remove the weed mass from the source and dispose of on dry land !

They the State was doing that to the Hyican at the State water intakes back in the 80's when it became a big problem for the water exporters and blocking the pumps in Tracy

Who pays for it ? you and me as a extra $2.00 added to our state fishing lic or $5.00 added to yearly boat tags ! Not fun but relief from weed problem that really works and doesn't add to the problems of using Herbicide controls that are way more expensive and really mess with the enviroment.
Yeah ? It's Me Again, SO WHAT!!!!!