To split or not split

fpomilia

To split or not split

Post by fpomilia »

Still being very new to the insanity, I have noticed some of the creature baits have the option to split the claws which I always do. Are these baits intended to remain together?
Gator

Re: To split or not split

Post by Gator »

It's usually personal preference. If one presentation is not working, try the other. 90% of the time I split the tails on my beavers, etc.
Marty

Post by Marty »

There are some creature baits that have pre-form notch / groove and it is the Anglers choice. I usually split them because you get counter movements with two tails. I like the double action so much I even cut some creature baits that don’t have the pre-form notch / groove, i.e. Zoom Fluke. But I have been known to do some crazy stuff.
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

I think it depends on presentation and what forage the bass are keying on. The two I use most often, the SuperHog(Zoom) and the Beavers(RI), indeed have a noticable difference in their fall and action depending on whether ya split that tail or not.

When left intact, both of these baits tend to have more of a gliding motion, at times they will spiral and the tail waves as one, especially when fished on a Texas rig. This will tend to look more like a small bait either falling injured or fish swimming thru the strike zone of a bass.

When seperated, they will still glide somewhat, yet it's slightly different due to the split tails and the resistance against two smaller surfaces. in most cases you'll lose the spiral, yet with the SuperHog, you can afix it to the hook so that the body of the bait has a slight arch, and it indeed will spiral as it falls if that is the desired action triggering strikes. The tail now provides a little bit different double wave action, imitating that of a crawdad waving his claws in a defensive posture.

There is no set "way" really, other than the "way" that gits ya the most bites.
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

Marty wrote: But I have been known to do some crazy stuff.
No THAT, is an understatement! You ARE known, for doing crazy stuff! HAR! HAR! HAR!
fpomilia

Post by fpomilia »

Thank you all for the information.
Kevin Evans - Kap

Post by Kevin Evans - Kap »

I like to split my Beavers, otters, etc by first using a whole punch to give em a more claw like appearance. 8) just have to remember to do it.

Kap
You cant fix stupid, but you can vote it out...
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

The only reason I know of is; they stay together in the package and less expensive to produce not split. Split the tails, that is how they were developed before mass production.
Tom
thukidad

Post by thukidad »

darn it Cooch.. you're giving away one of my deadly presentation for super hog :evil: