I need assistance concerning Boat/Vessel Tax!

luvmystratos

I need assistance concerning Boat/Vessel Tax!

Post by luvmystratos »

This inquiry is directed at the Guys who own Bass Boats in Sacramento; how are they Taxing you for your Bass Boat? How do they make the assessment? Is it based on the Length of the Boat and is the Trailer also included in the Tax? Just go hit with a whopper and want to know what is going on!
Life is short enjoy each and everyday!
sTony

Re: I need assistance concerning Boat/Vessel Tax!

Post by sTony »

The tax is usually based on purchase price, I believe.

sTony
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Most counties use their form of a NADA book and often cite the value on the HIGH side. When I had my 1989 Tracker Tournament TX, they said it was worth $8600 for a 3 yo bote when i originally paid 9K for the purchase price. Took forever to get the county tax assessor to chage the tax rate on my bote. Another thing to keep in mind, you should only pay tax on the bote itself -- not the engine or trailer. The trailer is a separate tax and registered with the DMV.
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Terry Smith

Post by Terry Smith »

If new they go off of what you paid for it. If you don't think it is worth what they say it is I think there is A spot on the back of the tax form that will tell you what you can do to change it. List reason why it's not worth what they say it is. "Scratch's, carpet fadded, hour's on engine,tell them what you think it is worth, etc .....that can justify bringing the value down"

Hope this helps, Terry
http://www.basscat.com
http://www.tntbaits.com/
Lounge Lizard Extreme Bass Fishing
(916) 719-7225
fishaddict22

Post by fishaddict22 »

I just got the form in the mail last week. I think its ridiculous. Do any of you know if they will charge me a tax again on the boat? I already paid my tax fees with the dmv when I bought my used ranger last year, but this is the first time I've seen the form. I never had to deal with it when I had a tracker. Any advise on how to handle this would be greatly appreciated!
dwise

Post by dwise »

What kind of tax are you talking about? The Personal Property Tax?

In addition to the registration and sales tax you pay when you register your boat for the first time, you also must pay a yearly personal property tax on the boat.

Here is a link to the Sacramento County Tax Assessor website with information on boat taxes.

http://www.assessor.saccounty.net/Gener ... efault.htm

From the website: 1. Question: Why are boats and vessels assessed for property taxes??

The California Constitution (Section XIII, Article 1) provides that all tangible property is taxable unless it is otherwise exempted by the Constitution or by the legislature. Household personal property was exempted in the 1950's, but privately-owned boats are still subject to property tax.

8. Question: How did the Assessor determine the value of my boat?

The Assessor uses various approaches to arrive at the value, including the purchase price of the vessel, improvements or upgrades that have been made to it, and the recent sales of comparable vessels in the open market. A recent, arm's length purchase of a vessel is considered to be a good indicator of its true market value.

In Los Angeles County, I just paid $52.00 for personal property tax on my 1999 Champion bass boat. I was expecting to pay over $200 but when I saw it was only $52.00 I wrote the check right away and mailed it before they changed their minds! LOL
Last edited by dwise on Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
fishaddict22

Post by fishaddict22 »

Awesome. Thanks a bunch. I'll fill the form out. I received it from the county of Santa Clara, but I'm in Solano county now so I'll have to mark that on the form I imagine.
Bobby T

Post by Bobby T »

The boat tax sucks if you don't pay it on time they charge a penalty. They do charge you for the package value of your rig I wish they would find someone to buy my boat for what they say its worth.
luvmystratos

Post by luvmystratos »

dwise wrote:What kind of tax are you talking about? The Personal Property Tax?

In addition to the registration and sales tax you pay when you register your boat for the first time, you also must pay a yearly personal property tax on the boat.

Here is a link to the Sacramento County Tax Assessor website with information on boat taxes.

From the website: 1. Question: Why are boats and vessels assessed for property taxes??

The California Constitution (Section XIII, Article 1) provides that all tangible property is taxable unless it is otherwise exempted by the Constitution or by the legislature. Household personal property was exempted in the 1950's, but privately-owned boats are still subject to property tax.

The Assessor uses various approaches to arrive at the value, including the purchase price of the vessel, improvements or upgrades that have been made to it, and the recent sales of comparable vessels in the open market. A recent, arm's length purchase of a vessel is considered to be a good indicator of its true market value.

In Los Angeles County, I just paid $52.00 for personal property tax on my 1999 Champion bass boat. I was expecting to pay over $200 but when I saw it was only $52.00 I wrote the check right away and mailed it before they changed their minds! LOL
Yes, this is the one! I was told that I would not be able to register my Boat until this is paid. I know that everything that was required by the State was paid when I secured the Loan from the Credit Union. I didn't know that they were charging a Property Tax according to the Length of a Boat. Thanks for that link; it doesn't work but at least I know where to go to get this matter cleared up. If you only paid $52 maybe there is still hope.
clearlakeoutdoors

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

You dont have to pay the luxury tax on boats under 17 ft . They do reduce it yearly based on the value of your boat.I sold a boat in june and then received the bill but after calling I found out. (If you owned the boat in Jan you pay the yearly tax)
Dave
luvmystratos

Post by luvmystratos »

clearlakeoutdoors wrote:You dont have to pay the luxury tax on boats under 17 ft . They do reduce it yearly based on the value of your boat.I sold a boat in june and then received the bill but after calling I found out. (If you owned the boat in Jan you pay the yearly tax)
Dave
Is that what they call it "Luxury Tax"? So, all Boats over 17ft have to pay this tax? What a joke; it is bad enough that the Registration fees were raised on all Vehicles and now this Tax on Boats. I noticed that they asked what County I had the Boat stored in; I live in Sac County but it is stored in Yolo. I am sure someone will send me a correct amount once they find out where it is stored. Thanks for all the information.
kane-o

Post by kane-o »

LOL thats weird, my personal tax on my old 95', 17' champ, with a little 75 horse. was $157. and i just paid my registration for the new 2 year tags, and they were only $20. but my neighbor's 28' ski boat he only paid the same $20 for the registration tags ? not too sure what his personal tax was on it ? but my $157. sounds high to me... maybe some others will chime in on what they paid.. i guess i need to look at the back of the form the next time. :roll:
TCS

Post by TCS »

The tax is 1% of the value of the boat. Then you have to add in your voted indebtedness which varies by counties such as schools, water district etc. The valule does depreciate so you can expect it to decresase over time. It is pretty much identical to your homeowners tax bill.
dwise

Post by dwise »

It might depend on what county your boat is in as to the total amount you pay. All I know is when I saw $52.00 on my tax bill, I paid it the next day!
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
dwise

Post by dwise »

luvmystratos wrote:

Yes, this is the one! I was told that I would not be able to register my Boat until this is paid. I know that everything that was required by the State was paid when I secured the Loan from the Credit Union. I didn't know that they were charging a Property Tax according to the Length of a Boat. Thanks for that link; it doesn't work but at least I know where to go to get this matter cleared up. If you only paid $52 maybe there is still hope.
You can register your boat under your name, however there will be a lein holder (your credit union) listed on your registration. The link works. Try to copy/paste it into your browser. I paid $52.00 but I live in Los Angeles County, which is why I posted the link for Sacramento County.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
PeteD

Post by PeteD »

The last I heard... there was a flat $400.00 no mater what the cost of the vessel is. That was a few years ago
Phil Burgess

Post by Phil Burgess »

just paid mine was 197.75....... get em every year..... just get used to it....sucks
ILL RIDE TO HELL AND BACK WITH YOU BOYS!!!!!!!!!!
fishaddict22

Post by fishaddict22 »

I talked with a guy today that has lived in three counties with the same boat. He said all three counties charge a different tax, and actually base the value of your boat differently. That just goes to show us that there is absolutely no continuity between counties in our own state. Still waiting to see what I have to pay livin' in Solano County.
dwise

Post by dwise »

fishaddict22 wrote:I talked with a guy today that has lived in three counties with the same boat. He said all three counties charge a different tax, and actually base the value of your boat differently. That just goes to show us that there is absolutely no continuity between counties in our own state. Still waiting to see what I have to pay livin' in Solano County.
There isn't continuity between counties because each county has different tax rates, just like sales tax. If you look at your property tax bill for your home, you'll see an itemized list of items (and the percentages for each), being charged to get to the total tax due. Cities also get a chunk of the property tax, not just the county. For instance in the city I live in, I pay for my trash collection with my county property tax bill. I don't get a separate bill each month for trash collection like some people pay. Sales taxes work the same way. The State gets a cut, the city gets a cut, and the county gets a cut. If the city votes to raise the sales tax a penny, then the tax in that city will be a penny higher than another city in the county.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
Ringer

Post by Ringer »

Unreal what they do to you there. You don't pay a 10% sales tax on the total value of your home when you buy it like you do on a boat. Comparing a boat to real estate makes no sense to me. Sounds like double taxation but I doubt any of your politicians have read the Constitution.
dwise

Post by dwise »

My point is that just looking at the bottom line on your tax bill isn't a valid way to compare any type of property tax bills. One needs to look at the county that is levying the tax, then at the itemized variables that are being billed in order to compare the differences from county to county.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
roaroar

Post by roaroar »

Sore Subject to me. I live in Solono County, this past April I got my tax noticed. It was $17000 more than I gave for the boat new two years ago. I call and was told they were using a new form, I mention NADA and they said they had to use what the accessor told them to.
I ask them if they would just write me a check for the amount and I would be right down. The person on the phone in broken English said I could send my info and they might make an adjustment. I sent the my bill of sell showing purchased price two years ago. Also sent them the NADA list.
Never heard a word, then in Sept I got the same bill. I call again and was told the lady handling all boats was on an extended leave of absent and know one knows were the info for anyone is. I resent the info and had to explain the boat was use now. Carpet walked and fished on so on and so on.
They reduced my value to the amount of orginal purchase price. Saved me close to $200

Now when your sending info if you purchased electronics and other items remember this should not be included in the boat price. I question if the trailer should be included due to the fact your paying taxes on that with DMV.
Long story short, 6 months of phone calls, sending faxes, they do not do emails and so forth they have you over the barrel if they want to.
I would be wiling to give them the boat for what they value it at, and take the profit and buy a new one. lol
Bass Pro Shopper

Post by Bass Pro Shopper »

When I bought my boat, the dealer created a separate invoice for me for the motor so that I'd only get taxed on the value of the boat, not the total amount.
Fishing is not a matter of life or death.
It's more serious than that!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Bass Pro Shopper wrote:When I bought my boat, the dealer created a separate invoice for me for the motor so that I'd only get taxed on the value of the boat, not the total amount.
Bingo. +11
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
fish_food

Post by fish_food »

This thread prompted me to check with my County tax collector (Sac) because it had been a while since receiving my last bill from them. Turns out that when your vessel depreciates below $5000 it's taken out of the system. I think $5K was the dollar figure I was given (it could have been $3K)--in any case, they're no longer assessing me.