Seeing line on graph when d-shot

ruger123

Seeing line on graph when d-shot

Post by ruger123 »

Question put a new hd8 and having trouble seeing line on graph when dropping on fish. Tried playing with sensitivity, but if i go to high i get trolling motor interference. Tried the 83htz and had a little better luck with seeing the line. Do any of you guys use the 83htz when dropping drop shot on top of fish when seen on graph.
tunaman

Re: Seeing line on graph when d-shot

Post by tunaman »

The bait and weight will be what shows... have to play with sensitivity settings to find what works best under the conditions you're fishing.

Watch the realtime display on the right side and you should be able to watch them fall.

Roger
Tight lines forever!
http://www.tunaman.org

*DISCLAIMER* - This post is in no way meant to be offensive. If you feel it is, please re-read then PM me for an explanation if it still offends?
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Dial the sensitivety in using a structure spoon, it is a lot easier. As stated the real time sonar signal is located in the right edge of the screen, everything else is history of has already happened. The line shouldn't return a sonar signal, unless you are referring to the lure path line or the thermocline "line".
Tom
gofish42189

Post by gofish42189 »

I run humminbirds, so I may do a few things different with adjustments. Im no pro at this but there seem to be 3 keys to seeing your bait when fishing vertical; cone angle, sensitivity, and bait placement. Adjust your sensitivity to find the best picture for you and the situation. Cone angle will be either 83khz, 200khz, or dual 83/200. I don't know if Lowrance has dual capabilities so i'll stick with either or. 200 is a narrower beam giving a smaller coverage area, and 83 is a wider beam creating a larger coverage area. Coverage area will go along with bait placement. You want to make sure you drop your bait directly under the transducer. You also want to keep the boat still so you keep the bait directly under you. If your bait isn't in the cone of the transducer beam you will never see it. I hope some of that made sense.
jloo283

Post by jloo283 »

Is it a known fact that high end Lowrance units are sensitive enough to detect thin fishing lines, making you to think your unit may have issues detecting it? What is the target separation spec on your unit?

The target separation spec tells you the smallest gap between objects or smallest objects that can be detected and processed from raw sonar returns. Humminbird units have about 2.5".

I've used 5 different Humminbird units, cheap $100 models to $700 models, and a cheap Lowrance unit. In all units, I don't think I've been able to see any line I used. I have been able to see the smallest baits I've used though.

The heaviest line I've used is 20lb flouro which has approx 0.4mm diameter. Regardless of how long the line is laid across under the sonar, I highly doubt the sonar returns from that will be decipherable, if at all. At least not on the units I've used anyways.

Most smallest baits I've used have been at least 1/2" by 3" (including hooks, weight). What would appear as a diagonal line on the screen is in fact the sonar returns from the bait as it moves across the water column, not the line.

I'd suggest testing with the smallest baits practical. If you can see it at reasonable sensitivity setting, I'd say you have no issues.

James
ihookem

Post by ihookem »

Put your graph on manual settings except for depth. Set that to auto depth. Use 200 hz. Check to make sure the front fish finder is reading on the front fish finder and not the back if you have them linked. It should say "this device" on the network page on the front FF. Turn off the back fish finder or use the stop sonar button. If you press the stop sonar button on the back and the front stops then you know the front is not set properly and reading off the back, If the you have two units that are linked, thus you will never see your bait. Always use the stop sonar button on the back or turn it off for a better reading on the front. the two units will interfere with each other if they are both run. I like to put the structure scan on down screen for the guy in the back so he can see the fish and the depth and it will not interfere with the front. Set the sensitivity as high as it will go without cluttering the screen. Set the color line to get some definition of different types of bottom, ie rock, sand, dirt, etc. Put the ping speed on high or screen speed to max. Make sure you are not next to another boat as this will clutter the screen with interference. If you hit the trolling motor and get some interference pull back on the sensitivity but I like to run mine with a little trolling motor interference as long as I can tell what I am reading. Usually my sensitivity is around 80 to 90 depending on depth. Deeper depths you can increase the sensitivity. These are just my preferences. I should take some shots of the rig dropping down on fish and you can see the fish bow up then down and fish on. These units are amazing. And I won't even get into how many fish the structure scan has put me on. Good luck.