Power pole bracket install

Champion Jon

Power pole bracket install

Post by Champion Jon »

Looking to get the mounting bracket installed for a Power pole. This is a bracket that goes in between the motor and the jack plate.

Anybody have an idea how much labor time I should expect at a shop. First place I called seemed a little on the high side so I thought I would research it.

I plan to do the rest of the install myself.

Thanks!
phishenphool

Re: Power pole bracket install

Post by phishenphool »

Steve and I got the plates on in about 30minutes...it was pretty simple. it is only 4 bolts. LOL.
* Note: You will need longer motor bolts.
I work to support my fishing addiction
biteme

Post by biteme »

Yet like he said we got two mounted pretty fast, maybe a half hour.
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

I was told an hour and a half from the shop I called......guess I need to make some more calls. Where did you get the longer bolts?
biteme

Post by biteme »

I bought them at ace hardware. Make sure you get the grade eight bolts. BTW It can be done by one person in about a 1/2 hour
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

Thanks fellas. I will try and find a place to do it for around a half hour of labor. Or I got 50 cash if anyone near sac has the tools to help me do this. It's a merc 250 pro xs.

Jon
DanO

Post by DanO »

Call Power Pole 813-689-9932.

Talk to someone there who can help you pick out the bracket you need.

They sell brackets that mount to the side of your jackplate and also sell the bolts to install it.

Don't have to remove the motor, but you do have to find out which bracket you need. They have many, and can help you pick the one you need.

DanO
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

DanO wrote:Call Power Pole 813-689-9932.

Talk to someone there who can help you pick out the bracket you need.

They sell brackets that mount to the side of your jackplate and also sell the bolts to install it.

Don't have to remove the motor, but you do have to find out which bracket you need. They have many, and can help you pick the one you need.

DanO
Thanks. I did talk to them and Rich at hydrilla gear which is where I purchased the pole. I have a detwiler hydraulic jack plate that does not have a way to bolt onto the side of the plate. I wish it did!
Zak Elrite

Post by Zak Elrite »

You can do it yourself, with the help of another guy to steady the motor. My Ranger didn't need longer bolts but check it out to see. Like biteme said, get Grade8 bolts. And marine grade silicone as a gasket and around/through the hole. I did it myself and with the help of my girlfriend(pretty much put the bolts in where I couldn't reach cause I was steadying the motor, haha). But The way I did it, was trimmed the motor down on a 2x4 until it had a little pressure then Just loosened one side then removed to other side to slide in the new bolts. It gets a little squirelly but you can get it done this way with caution. Leave the new bracket side loose to get the shim in the other side, make sure it's all siliconed and bolt it up to correct torque. Then running the lines is the easy part. I don't have a cherry picker so I didn't use the motor grip hook, hence the "proceed with caution" part. I think Jared Lintner has a youtube of how to install a power pole but I'm not sure.

Disclaimer- Im not recommending you do what I did, just telling how I did it. Good luck!
[b]Zak Elrite[/b]
Bagel Bar, Mercury Marine, Lowrance, Coyote Bait & Tackle, Ben Green Insurance, G-Funk Baits, Keitech, Spearpoint Hooks, Dobyns Rods, Lews Reels, Bucknbass
jloo283

Post by jloo283 »

This is a good topic. I've been contemplating on installing one myself. Thanks all for the replies. Two questions.

How is the motor aligned? Do you guys just eyeball it or are there technical details involved?

What's the torque spec on those bolts?

James
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

Thanks for the advice guys. Got it done by myself! Wasent as bad as I thought!
DAKINE198

Post by DAKINE198 »

AINOKEA..........life is good...but I'm mad as Hell