Not the same old 6lb line thread...

hasetak

Not the same old 6lb line thread...

Post by hasetak »

I fish drop shot quite a bit and fish 8lb flouro leader on Nanofil mainline 99% of the time. I would like to go to 6lb but the couple of times I have tried it (6lb Vicious I know this is not the best line) I have been horribly disappointed lost allot of fish. Get the drag tight enough to get a hook in a fish they break off loose enough to not break off I don’t get the hook in them and they just come off. I am fishing a 701 Dobyns with a Revo spinning reel. I have not had any problem breaking off at the connection between the lines it is always at the hook and I take extreme care in tying my knots.

Basically I want to try as many different 6lb flouros that I can to figure out what I have the least amount of trouble with, but @ $20+ for a spool it is hard to try a bunch of them which is why I am typing this. Who has 20-30 feet left on the end of a spool that they would be willing to send me (just put it in an envelope and mail it). I would gladly gift a few bucks via pay pal to anyone willing to help me out on this.

If you have some laying around and want be a pal and send it my way post what it is here, no point in getting multiples, and I will PM you my address and let me know your pay pal so I can get you a few bucks for the trouble.

Thanks
Hase
Jonnysig

Re: Not the same old 6lb line thread...

Post by Jonnysig »

Dude...6lb P-line floroclear. Its insane. Never breaks as long as you take care of it. retie, change line, etc...

I got some to send you. Its the strongest line. It is hard as hell to break when you get it snagged. I've straightened out hooks trying to break off dart heads.
Hipster

Post by Hipster »

"I got some to send you. Its the strongest line. It is hard as hell to break when you get it snagged. I've straightened out hooks trying to break off dart heads."

Ditto on the P-Line Floroclear the 6 and 8 lb test are virtually invisible and way to strong to break even when you get snagged. For laughs my partner and I have joked about flippen with it due to it's strentgh.
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
J. Walker

Post by J. Walker »

+1 more on P-Line Flouro
elfish16

Post by elfish16 »

Seaguar Abrazx hands down the best 6lb floro. :D I use this solely if I am using 6lb floro. This season I've gone up to 8lb though and haven't looked back.
Eric Elshere

https://donssmokinsalmon.com
https://maxima-lines.com
ASD

Post by ASD »

I use Seaguar Tatsu it is a little spendy but it is the BEST line out their hands down. It also has a smaller dia, then most other lines. So you can use 8lb and have a dia of 6lb :wink:
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

How do you trust line mfr's that say their line is small diameter without publishing the diameter. For example P-Line FC 6 lb is 0.0092, Sunline Shooter is 0.0081, P-Line FC 8 lb is 0.0010 and Sunline Shooter is 0.0093.
So what is the diameter of the line you promote? call it whatever pound test you you like, diameter verses knot stength is what counts. If you market P-Line FC 6# and it is actually 8# , it should be stronger than Sunline FC 6#, it's 0.0010 bigger in diameter.
Too much BS in the line business.
Tom
DAKINE198

Post by DAKINE198 »

What is diameter of 6#halo?
AINOKEA..........life is good...but I'm mad as Hell
GregD

Post by GregD »

What's even more fun (disconcerting) is if you happen to have a micrometer or calipers and check the actual diameter of the line you buy you can see how much it varies from what the package says. It can be quite a bit which can/will translate into quite a variation in actual break strength and corresponding knot strength.

And if you haven't had enough fun with that, if you happen to have two or three spools of the same line/lb test bought at different times from different production runs, check the diameter and see how much it varies. I've done that and the variation I've found can be pretty large. I've had 6 lb line from a manufacturer have the same diameter as 8 lb from the same manufacturer.

I've mostly seen this is with Trilene 100% FC which I use for FC applications, but I'm sure it's the same for most lines out there. So don't get too hung up with, or rely on, what the manufacturer prints on the box or puts in their advertising.
Greg
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

DAKINE198 wrote:What is diameter of 6#halo?
Halo 6# = 0.0083 (21mm), 8# = 0.0010 (.27mm)
Maybe someone has a spread sheet with line diameters vs # test for the popular FC line; it
would be an interesting comparison.
Tom
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

GregD wrote:What's even more fun (disconcerting) is if you happen to have a micrometer or calipers and check the actual diameter of the line you buy you can see how much it varies from what the package says. It can be quite a bit which can/will translate into quite a variation in actual break strength and corresponding knot strength.

And if you haven't had enough fun with that, if you happen to have two or three spools of the same line/lb test bought at different times from different production runs, check the diameter and see how much it varies. I've done that and the variation I've found can be pretty large. I've had 6 lb line from a manufacturer have the same diameter as 8 lb from the same manufacturer.

I've mostly seen this is with Trilene 100% FC which I use for FC applications, but I'm sure it's the same for most lines out there. So don't get too hung up with, or rely on, what the manufacturer prints on the box or puts in their advertising.
Berkley 100% FC is typically 1 line larger per # test across the 6 to 14 # test range; ie they label 6# and it's actually 8# by diameter. This is common with line mfr's, you think you have stronge 6# and fish it happy there after. Misleading...no, there isn't any fishing line gage standard. We are stupid and believe whats on the label.

Try measuring your line after catching fish with it a few days; FC stretches and stays stretched with a smaller diameter and weaker strength. This may be one reason line mfr's go up a size to keep the angler satisfied with thier product.
Tom
GregD

Post by GregD »

Oldschool wrote:
GregD wrote:What's even more fun (disconcerting) is if you happen to have a micrometer or calipers and check the actual diameter of the line you buy you can see how much it varies from what the package says. It can be quite a bit which can/will translate into quite a variation in actual break strength and corresponding knot strength.

Berkley 100% FC is typically 1 line larger per # test across the 6 to 14 # test range; ie they label 6# and it's actually 8# by diameter. This is common with line mfr's, you think you have stronge 6# and fish it happy there after. Misleading...no, there isn't any fishing line gage standard. We are stupid and believe whats on the label.

Try measuring your line after catching fish with it a few days; FC stretches and stays stretched with a smaller diameter and weaker strength. This may be one reason line mfr's go up a size to keep the angler satisfied with thier product.
Tom
Totally agree with your comments regarding the manufacturers and what they do to "keep us happy"...

For my spinning rods, I'm of the 10 lb braid to FC (6 or 8 lb) leader camp. One nice thing about that is I'm regulary tying a fresh leader so the FC is always pretty new.
Greg
Delaney

Post by Delaney »

Unfortunately there are no regulations about claims that line makers make on their products, and boy, do they take advantage of that. You can see that on all the episodes of "Knot Wars". They use 14 lb. line and the knots break at much more than that. How can this be? How can a knot in 14 lb. line break at 18 lb. Why doesn't the line break?

Did anyone ever notice the listed diameter being lower on Berkley XL 10 lb. than on XT 10 lb. The selling points of XL is flexibility, and the diameter is lower. The XT selling point is toughness and the diameter is higher. Duh, it's tougher because it's thicker.
There She Is!!!
Delaney

Post by Delaney »

I forgot to put this in the above post. In my opinion a much used site that does product comparisons is no help in this matter. My skeptical nature makes me think they are trying to generate ad revenue.
There She Is!!!
VJ

Post by VJ »

If u want ur best bang for ur buck use 6lb yozuri it is a fluro coated line and is stronger than most do a test and you well see. it cost 11.99 at the warehouse and i think u get 300 or 600 yards. If u want pm me ur adress i will send u some.
Nutechlures.com
RB BASS FISHING
trophybaits.com
genesistinting.com
Turkeyman

Post by Turkeyman »

+1 on the Yozuri line, i use the 6lb for dropshotting and have actually pulled my boat around before the line broke.
Zak Elrite

Post by Zak Elrite »

Straigh up Seaguar InvizX... Clear and STRONG! Especially with braid main to flouro leader! If clarity isn't as much of a factor, go with Yo-Zuri, hands down!
[b]Zak Elrite[/b]
Bagel Bar, Mercury Marine, Lowrance, Coyote Bait & Tackle, Ben Green Insurance, G-Funk Baits, Keitech, Spearpoint Hooks, Dobyns Rods, Lews Reels, Bucknbass
topdawg2700

Post by topdawg2700 »

I agree with previous....nothing but Seagar inviz. I used to use 6lb but moved up to 8lb and also have not went back. Super strong and great flouro. It's the only flouro I'll use.
TCS

Post by TCS »

+1 on invisx
scott h

Post by scott h »

6lb YO-Zuri.I don't care what the diameter is or the other lines on the market.around 11bucks for a 600yd spool its tough as hell and as much as I fish and abuse line this stuff holds up.
BUZZBAITS IN FEBRUARY!@#$%^&*(
Hawg44Hustler

Post by Hawg44Hustler »

If you guys haven't tried Cajun Lines new flouro ur missing out. The stuff is the BEST, check out the 7lb test, small diameter and super strong. Everyone who has tried it loves it. Big stuff (15-20lb) is sold out at TW and thier new braid is amazing too.
Mike

Post by Mike »

ASD wrote:I use Seaguar Tatsu it is a little spendy but it is the BEST line out their hands down. It also has a smaller dia, then most other lines. So you can use 8lb and have a dia of 6lb :wink:

Awesome Line!
OG on WB since 1993
Bassin

Post by Bassin »

Seagar inviz. It has worked great!
Bryan Vogt..... Central Cal Bassin
Stratos278

Post by Stratos278 »

Jonnysig wrote:Dude...6lb P-line floroclear. Its insane. Never breaks as long as you take care of it. retie, change line, etc...

I got some to send you. Its the strongest line. It is hard as hell to break when you get it snagged. I've straightened out hooks trying to break off dart heads.
I also use P-Line Floroclear a lot, and love it! That being said, Floroclear is NOT florocarbon. It is monofilament with a florocarbon coating. Great stuff, though, and a lot cheaper than regular florocarbon
Jim C.
"Rip Some Lips!!!!"
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Hawg44Hustler wrote:If you guys haven't tried Cajun Lines new flouro ur missing out. The stuff is the BEST, check out the 7lb test, small diameter and super strong. Everyone who has tried it loves it. Big stuff (15-20lb) is sold out at TW and thier new braid is amazing too.
OK..smaller diameter; what is the diameter? and what is the knot strength? Cajun 7 lb is 0.0085 average line diameter or equal to Sunline 6 lb and P-Line Halo 6 lb = 0.0081 to 0.0083
Tom