Tournament rule claification regarding anchors

Long Nguyen

Tournament rule claification regarding anchors

Post by Long Nguyen »

14) PERMITTED FISHING WATERS: No fishing is allowed inside the host marina unless lake specific rules allow for such. If fishing is allowed within the marina, no boats may fish within 100 feet of the launch ramp. No fishing is allowed within 25 yards of another anchored or tied tournament boat with trolling motor out of the water, without the anchored boat’s permission. Both team partners must fish from the same boat. Unless otherwise directed by the tournament authority, only contestants may be in the boat during the tournament hours. Having anyone hole-sit for anyone shall be grounds for disqualification. Contestants cannot leave the boat to land a fish or gain access to a fishing area. Restricting natural movement of fish by any means is automatic disqualification. Navigable waters are the only waters to be fished during a tournament and restricting boating access to an area by any means shall be grounds for disqualification.

Just about every tournament organization has this written in their rules. This one happens to come from Randy's about the upcoming Bassfest derby.

Does "anchored" in this rule include the deployment of popular shallow water positioning anchors like the Talon and Power Poles? This can lead to quite a bit of debate, either way its ruled.

Directors please chime in for clarity.
crawdaddy

Re: Tournament rule claification regarding anchors

Post by crawdaddy »

They are called "shallow water anchors" as such it seems like the 25 yard rule would be in effect if the trolling motor was not deployed.

Scott
I would rather jog home from my own Vasectomy than spend Saturday at the mall.
stickbait

Post by stickbait »

If everyone would give each other a fair amount of distance there would be no need for silly rules like this.. IMO ....BUT noooo everyone has to sit on top of each other... :roll:

I would think a power pole is or would be anchor so yes the 25 yard rule would apply..IF the trolling motor is up and stowed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor
Cooch

Post by Cooch »

It is an Anchor. Yet it is only an Anchor, if the T-motor is up. I was asked this last year at the Pro-Teen. Like Mark, I'm old school and don't believe ya should ever be fishing with-in 3-4 boat lengths of another angler, unless some form of conversation has been had and it's cool with the boater who was there first. In many cases, it's tough to tell if an anchor is deployed, until ya get too close. The Anchor rule is indeed a silly, micro-managed and redundant rule. If ya never get that close, ya don't need an Anchor rule.

I've also been on the FPT Rules Committee for over 10 years now and we addressed this by removing the "anchor rule" all together, yet implimented the verbiage to cover the appropriate courtesy distance angler's should follow in Rule 22 listed below:

22. Infringements/Permitted Fishing Areas: A "50-yard rule" is in effect at all times during competition. No contestant's boat may move within 50 yards of another contestants boat at any time for the purpose of fishing. A boat moving from one area to another may infringe upon this distance as long as the transient fisherman do not attempt to fish while moving. Exceptions to the 50-yard rule apply only to docks, break walls, and slough channels.

Exception example 1: If you wish to fish a boat dock next to a boat dock another team is fishing, and it falls inside the 50 yard parameter, you are allowed to fish it. In all cases please be courteous.

Exception example 2: If you wish to fish in a slough channel that is longer than 50 yards, and there is another team fishing inside of it, you must continue pass them 50 YARDS before you can start fishing. If you wish to fish the opposite side of the slough channel, you may do so. In all cases please be courteous.
Long Nguyen

Post by Long Nguyen »

If it were only that simple huh Mark? This is probably one of the reasons why you don't fish many derbies anymore.

The scenario that played out in my head was spring time, delta. All those berms in the tract, the meat wall, etc. Boats fishing both the inside and outside tule lines. We play bumper boats fishing through there when the fish are stacked and spawning.

Using the above scenario, if a boat has their anchors deployed, troll motor up, they can lay claim to 75' buffer of prime water, both inside and outside tule lines. It takes but a second to press a button and pull anchors up, troll to a new spot, and redeploy.

They can effectively protest if an unsuspecting tournament angler fishes through on the inside or outside of the berm becuase they're within 25 yards. From a psychological perspecitve, I keep my head down and ignore what's going on around me when fishing in a crowd and wouldn't know I was encroaching until it was too late.

I like your response Cooch. This rule should be evaluated again.