Any used car salesmen out there? Truck buying advice

Matt Moreau

Any used car salesmen out there? Truck buying advice

Post by Matt Moreau »

Hey,
Im gonna be in the market for a used truck soon. I am going to be selling my 7.3 power stroke soon and want a 4x4 but can't justify it. In all the years fishing i have never needed it just wanted it. How many people can actually say that its a must for tournament fishermen? With all the added problems and maint issues plus gas mileage i am leaning towards a 2wd.

Now for the salesman..... I like the new 2009 + Dodge Rams and they average $20000 for the milage and amenities i want.... this is a common dealer price for this truck and its not in demand so to speak. Mostly on the ones i have priced they are already under KBB... I was thinking about low ballin at 14k and maybe working up to 15 max. is that even realistic? anyone want to comment on avg markup and what i could expect talking a big name dealership down? I love the new toyotas but they are just too pricey and in demand. They avg 1k over kbb
"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."

Matthew Moreau
Fishitifyoucan

Re: Any used car salesmen out there? Truck buying advice

Post by Fishitifyoucan »

Matt,

Been in the business for 26 years. Give me a call tomorrow and we can talk shop. Will be more than glad to educate and help you if I can.

Peter
209-604-3321
B Becker

Post by B Becker »

why in the world would you want to get rid of the best motor ever made!! This is not a pissing contest on brands, but that 7.3 L was the best motor ever made (Diesel). I have 250K on mine and have no plans of dumping it anytime soon (2000 F250). I have a 2 wheel drive, and would have never needed 4x4. I owned one Dodge in my life, and it was my last. Yes, the Cummins is an awesome motor, but the rest of the truck is crap (IMHO). Lost the tranny at 10k, suspension sucked, and the ergos weren't as nice. You will have no problem selling that 7.3. Check nada.com and kbb.com: take the average of the two prices for what your selling and what your buying.
Brent Becker

Sponsors:
www.brentbeckerfishing.com
www.skeeterboats.com
www.basspro.com
www.bassaholics.com
www.maxima-lines.com
Delaney

Post by Delaney »

Best time to buy from a dealer is end of month....they want to salvage a bad month, make a bad month decent, or break a record. Always something to motivate sales people. Key thing on used vehicles is how much money they have in them, which some times isn't much on a used one. Problem is you never know this and only way to find out is to make a low offer, which they may be more likely to accept at end of month.
There She Is!!!
biteme

Post by biteme »

Matt Moreau wrote:Hey,
Im gonna be in the market for a used truck soon. I am going to be selling my 7.3 power stroke soon and want a 4x4 but can't justify it. In all the years fishing i have never needed it just wanted it. How many people can actually say that its a must for tournament fishermen? With all the added problems and maint issues plus gas mileage i am leaning towards a 2wd.

Now for the salesman..... I like the new 2009 + Dodge Rams and they average $20000 for the milage and amenities i want.... this is a common dealer price for this truck and its not in demand so to speak. Mostly on the ones i have priced they are already under KBB... I was thinking about low ballin at 14k and maybe working up to 15 max. is that even realistic? anyone want to comment on avg markup and what i could expect talking a big name dealership down? I love the new toyotas but they are just too pricey and in demand. They avg 1k over kbb
I dont know what options your looking for. That said Ive seen the 2012 Dodge rams brand new with quad cad and hemi for 20k. I love my 2010 4x4 crew cab. Heck of a truck for the price!
Randy Walker

Post by Randy Walker »

not sure if you have thought about it.. but carmax usually has a huge selection of trucks. The prices seemed fair.. no haggling though.. the price is what it is as far as I know... would not hurt to check them out...

Good luck on your purchase...

Randy
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
Grape Ape

Post by Grape Ape »

Matt,
I had 4X4 trucks all my life. I wasted more money just to boost my ego with them! I never hardly used the 4 wheel drive and when I did it was intentionally. in 2008 I decided enough of that crap. Why was I wasting money on the truck, taxes, fuel, insurance, maintenance (rarely though), tires, etc.? I have a 21 foot Ranger and haul that boat everywhere. I never needed 4 wheel drive.....ever. Now don't get me wrong....some people may need it....I just don't.
Harry Markarian

Markarian Investigations @ (209) 777-9696
USAF (Retired)
Merced PD (Retired)
C & C Marine
dwise

Post by dwise »

You will pay more in insurance premiums with a 4 x 4. If you don't need the 4 x 4 feature, don't buy it. Before heading to your local dealer, check around on the net. That's what I did, and I found the exact vehicle I wanted for the price I was willing to pay.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
Matt Moreau

Post by Matt Moreau »

THanks everyone....to answer and ask a few questions...

yes the 7.3 is a great motor and thats why i bought it. Problem is my truck is the crew long bed so its the longest one you can buy. You can make a uturn with a boeing 747 tighter than u can in my truck! Plus it rides like a superduty and steers like crap(Known King Pin issues)...I guess these are all things true 7.3 followers love but its not practicle for my needs.

I have been doing a lot of research and talking to a lot of people and it looks like i may go 2wd but it just scares me driving to berry or orovile in jan while its snowing without 4wd... like most have said tho i have not needed it yet.

Biteme - "That said Ive seen the 2012 Dodge rams brand new with quad cad and hemi for 20k." Where have you seen a new 2012 for 20k? the best i can find is 25k
"The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad."

Matthew Moreau
biteme

Post by biteme »

You just have to keep checking the ADs.
http://findnsave.sacbee.com/Local-Ads/a ... 7-14574259
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

I don't have a lift kit or big tires on my 4x4, but there is one hell of a difference between walking for help or locking hubs and just driving away.

Today with cell phones, it may not be that big of a deal.

4x4 just lets you be a little more independent, or able to take care of yourself.

"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
scottsweet

Post by scottsweet »

The 4x4 I have now (2008 Ford F350 Crew Cab diesel) is the first 4x4 I have had. It is not jacked up or anything like that...stock other than airbags for my camper. I use the 4x4 2 or 3 times a year and THANK GOD every time I have it. Whether it be a steep hill, wet or muddy ramp or road, etc...I am glad that I have it.

I am not in to it for the ego or anything like that. I just want the peace of mind to know that I have it. When I had my 2 wheel drive dually, I got stuck in some mud at Pine Flat and nearly lost my rig on a very cold ramp at Lopez. Both situations cell phone coverage was not there. At Pine Flat, I had to have the ranger contact a tow truck who pulled me out with a VERY long cable attached to my front tow hooks. BAD day and wished I had the 4 wheel drive. I live in Socal and all of our lakes have good launch ramps except when it is approaching freezing. However I have had my share of mud or not so good ramps in central and northern California. Just this year I was at Naci (in Jan) going up a steep grade that had some wet sand/dirt and couldn't get up the grade with 2WD. I put on the 4WD and went right up with no issue. Another was at a very low lake with a steep ramp that was wet. I couldn't pull the boat out of the water without my rear only wheels just spinning. 4WD was my savior.

I bought my camper knowing I was putting it on a 4 wheel truck (no duallys) because of the turning radius. My insurance is not that bad but it is insured as a second vehicle (recreation) and I am 50, so obviously that makes a difference. However, since it is a 1 ton, I get hit with the big DMV registration because of its tow capacity.

I will never buy another truck without 4 wheel drive ... well as long as I am towing a boat :).

My .02...
Scott Sweet

www.teamccmarine.com
www.rangerboats.com
www.humminbird.com
www.minnkotamotors.com
www.lews.com
www.phenixrods.com
www.odysseybattery.com
www.simmsfishing.com
www.peregrine250.com
SKTR 20i

Post by SKTR 20i »

There is a way to save some registration fees on your trucks. If you have a camper or camper shell attached to your truck you can go to dmv and change your registration from "commercial" to regular automobile and save the weight fee every year. Typically about $200. Very very easy to do!!!

John
Bassphish

Post by Bassphish »

You never know when you'll need the piece of mind of having a 4X4 as stated earlier. Winter's comin' with snow and frozen ramps....

And geez Georgia John, I know you can take the kid out of Cali but shouldn't you be out exploring Lake Lanier? JB
SKTR 20i

Post by SKTR 20i »

I will be as soon as my truck and boat arrive!! The weather right now is awesome. But i'm sure that won't too much longer!! Probably as soon as my rig arrives the weather will turn nasty.

John.