new jig rod ideas

mziemer

new jig rod ideas

Post by mziemer »

im looking to get a new rod for flipping jigs and dragging football jigs in the winter. im not sure what rod to go with and wanted to hear some suggestions. i have heard irod is good but i am more a powell guy. let me know what you think. i am probly going to be pairing it with an abu garcia revo. what pound line should i use for this? im thinking fluro becuase im going to use it to drag jigs in the winter.
fishin4life

Re: new jig rod ideas

Post by fishin4life »

I use the powell 714 and the 705 max. The 714 is nice because its not to stiff and you get that extra inch of tip but the 705 is good when you have a little bit more cover to work around.

Good luck on the rod hunt!
dockboy

Post by dockboy »

If you arent sold on iRod or Powell completely, a Dobyns 765 is a good jig flipping stick and you can certainly drag 1/2oz and larger footballs with it. Whatever you choose, your line should be different for each application. 12-14lb is more ideal for dragging open water in clear water, 15-20lb more ideal for flipping.
MT

Post by MT »

Don't know if you can find the perfect rod to do both. For dragging footballs I use the Tackle Warehouse Football jig rod (753). It's more like a 4 power than a 3. I also use the 723 Endurance for up to 1/2oz footballs. The 734c makes a nice football jig rod. If you want to pitch jigs also a 764c or 804c would work pretty good for both. These would be nice for the one ton also. 12lb Seaguar flouro on your Revo for dragging the lakes. Heavier for pitching around cover.
BassnReed

Post by BassnReed »

Dobyns DX784CML is the baddest jig rod on the planet, period! Not a problem pitching either. This sensitivity and the way this rod loads up is unmatched IMO.
KReed
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

I am a big fan of the dobyns champion 764. I use this for football jigs and small swimbaits. I would work fine for pitching jigs as well.
I fish a few different brands of rods, but the sensitivity and balance of this rod makes it a very good structure jig rod. The way this rod loads up on a fish makes it my #1 pick for a paddle tail type swimbaits like the basstrix etc.

15lb fluorocarbon make this a very versital rod to own.
mziemer

Post by mziemer »

wow lot of different rods think im going to go with the dobyns 764 and see if it lives up to all the hype about dobyns rods.
Last edited by mziemer on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
MT

Post by MT »

Lews
dwise

Post by dwise »

Most of my reels are Daiwa, but I did purchase two Lews and I'm very happy with them.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

The ideal flipping rod should 8' long and 6 to 8 power, but who flips today, most anglers pitch.
Flipping or pitching you are fishing heavy cover with short casts, 65 + lbs braid.
Casting a football jig in deep structured lakes requires a good casting rod 4 to 5 power, 6'10" to 7'8", depending on personal preference.
Two different rods, so make your mind and choose a rod you will fish with most; heavy cover or sparse cover and that depends on where you fish.
The Dobyn's DX784cML is a 4+ power, 7' 8" jig rod that could work in both applications, primary function is making long casts 90' to 100'+ and still be able to get a hook set.
The reel is another personal choice, Revo's made in China would not be my choice.
Tom
froteur

Post by froteur »

i have a phenix ks 715 that i use for dragging jigs but those aren't readily available. i would recommend the recon 715 in its place.

i use my daiwa 8' steez for flipping jigs.