Alabama tangles

milehi

Alabama tangles

Post by milehi »

Having a bad time with the rig hooking a wire on the cast. Have used braid and mono, stopped it like a buzz bait, let it fly, burned it on splash down, nothing seems to help. I'm a long time(35+yrs.) bass guy and can usually figure things out, but I'm at a loss with this.
Randy Walker

Re: Alabama tangles

Post by Randy Walker »

If your talking about one bait/hook catching on another wire, bend/spread your wires out further apart. If you are talking about the bait catching on it's own wire, try playing with other snap swivels, shorter clips maybe. Is your problem bait (catching wire) on a different weight than any of the others?
The catching of a wire tends to happen from time to time...

I'm sure there are other folks that will hopefully chime in for other idea's...

Good Luck
~ Thanks for the support ~
Walkers Brittanys
RBBASS
www.optimabatteries.com
www.outdoorproshops.com
www.lock-n-haul.com/
www.purefishing.com
Berkley Fishing
Abu Garcia
imalures.com
optimumbaits.com
The Rod Glove http://vrxfishing.com/
milehi

Post by milehi »

Thanks Randy, my problem is the line hooking a wire on the cast, usually one od the top ones(Ithink). I have spread them, narrowed them, no help. I've thrown a manns, a yum I believe an one other, all 5 wire. I live on a lake with no shad and little schooling baitfish so it's not a bait I'd use alot although I have caught a few on it and love the big new stuff, would just like to figure out what I'm doing wrong.
dwise

Post by dwise »

Maybe try lobbing the bait instead of actually casting the bait? Sounds like there is slack in your line during the forward motion of the cast and it's hooking onto the bait.
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
Jim Moulton

Post by Jim Moulton »

I had the same problem.
Went to a different brand of a rig and my tangles have went down by 80% or more.
Try other brands and you will find one that works for you.
Jim
www.teamccmarine.com
C & C Marine
Modesto Ca
209-526-4120
Ranger Boats
rmd

Post by rmd »

Milehi you need to try one that has no lead head Go to facebook and check out are arig under RMDrevolution spinner bait
milehi

Post by milehi »

Thanks alot guys, most of the rigs I've used were given to me, I'm not interested enough to buy a bunch to see which one might work. Lob cast didn't work any better for me tnat I remember, do not do facebook. Thinking of trying a split ring to get the line away a bit. Thanks , again not something I would probably throw much anyway, just the principal of the thing
DanO

Post by DanO »

It has to do with the lead head.

When the head of the rig weighs more, or is close to the same weight as the swimbait end, they tumble on the cast. You can try a polymer head version as suggested above, or you can put heavier heads on the business end of the ones you are trying now.

DanO
brambo0311

Post by brambo0311 »

Put on a bobber stop, thread on bead, thread coffee straw, tie on Alabama rig, tighten bobber stop, fish.
LL
bassz21

Post by bassz21 »

i personally have never had one tangle i take time to make sure it is all balanced and wires are straight but big +1 for the lob cast
supermat

Post by supermat »

You've already had some excellent responses but I'll throw in my .02 as well. I haven't found a significant difference between rigs that have lead heads and those that don't. I've watched dozens of clients struggle with this. Its all about how you cast the rig. If you're just putting the rig out there, its going to tumble through the air. Lobbing the rig makes a big difference but the key is to keep tension on the bait the entire time its in the air. I keep my reels loose and "thumb" them naturally when my baits are flying so it was simple for me. Clients who don't naturally thumb their reels have had to learn to do it when throwing A-rigs.
When you keep tension on the spool the rig will always fly "baits first" through the air and land pointing back toward the boat without looping over wires.
http://www.bassinguide.com
http://www.tacticalbassin.com
Jim V.

Post by Jim V. »

You can try tying on a steel leader to your braid & attach the that to the A-rig. That seems to work fairly well. I think they even sell them in packs at Walmart.
Gary Dobyns

Post by Gary Dobyns »

[quote="supermat"]You've already had some excellent responses but I'll throw in my .02 as well. I haven't found a significant difference between rigs that have lead heads and those that don't. I've watched dozens of clients struggle with this. Its all about how you cast the rig. If you're just putting the rig out there, its going to tumble through the air. Lobbing the rig makes a big difference but the key is to keep tension on the bait the entire time its in the air. I keep my reels loose and "thumb" them naturally when my baits are flying so it was simple for me. Clients who don't naturally thumb their reels have had to learn to do it when throwing A-rigs.
When you keep tension on the spool the rig will always fly "baits first" through the air and land pointing back toward the boat without looping over wires.[/quote]

Great explanation Matt. I agree 100% with everything you said and I throw a bunch of rigs as well. This just takes a little practice. I do same thing with many baits on the cast because you can "feather' them in without a big splash. Great info buddy!