Question For Ranger Boat Owners (Trailer Hitch)

Rich_Thiel

Question For Ranger Boat Owners (Trailer Hitch)

Post by Rich_Thiel »

Question> What size hitch are you guys using, 1 7/8 or a 2inch ball.
The problem Im having with a 2" is getting the trailer off of the ball once the boat is in the garage. The truck is on a slight grade once the boat is in the garage. I don't know if this is the problem or not.

I would call C&C but their not there until Tuesday.

Thanks in advance and is appreciated for responses

Rich Thiel
Guide exclusively on the California Delta, Lake Berryessa and Clearlake for Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spotted Bass.
http://www.calbassguide.com , www.roboworms.com , www.quickdrops.com
www.316lurecompany.com
Gator

Re: Question For Ranger Boat Owners (Trailer Hitch)

Post by Gator »

As far as I know - all Ranger's have a 2" ball - that's what I use for mine. If you have a grade to deal with, that is the problem. I occasionally have to push on the boat to get it to release from the ball.
Hardshell

It's the hitch angle...........

Post by Hardshell »

I have the same problem when I back mine into the shed. A lite coat of greese on the ball will solve your problem. It is a little messy but that ball WILL slip out of the reciever. Oh, and by all means DON'T change to a 1 7/8" ball or you'll find out how good your saftey chains are. Har!

Hardshell-Jailer
Bill K

Post by Bill K »

Rich. Most, if not all, Ranger trailers use a 2 inch ball. I believe you
problem is a combination of angle and pressure(you mentions slight
angle) on the present ball. Try to level and take that push off the
trailer/ball and I think you problem will be solved. Tight lines and stay well. Bill K
Fun fishing the country, each and every week.
Hipster

Post by Hipster »

Rich same problem here!!! Saturday was a nightmare getting that sucker off!! It has to be the angle and I have no choice in my setup with the driveway/ garage angle.
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
Barry

Post by Barry »

Rich, You would have to change the hitch on the trailer as well and the problem would remain because the latch would still be at the base of the ball. Try placing pieces of 2x6 lumber under the front truck tires as you back into place. This will lessen the angle and make it easier to release. The grease and the rocking also help. Good luck.....Barry
Marc

Post by Marc »

Rich,

As the others have said, it is your hitch angle. This problem also occurs when anglers bend their hitch ball back from trying to pull a trailer out of the water after the wheels go past the end of the concrete ramp. I speak from experience after a trip to Black Meadow Landing on Havasu 20 years ago. The sudden pull on the trailer slightly bent my ball angle to the rear, and this tipping of the ball made disconnecting on level ground a nightmare. The hitch only came off easy when my boat was parked downhill.

You must get the truck and boat level, or grease up.

ciao,
Marc
Hipster

Re: HMMMMMMMMM

Post by Hipster »

I wonder if we bought new lower hitch tongues, but then it may sit too low while towing!!!
Four Decades of Red!!!!!!!!

When in Doubt Set the Hook!!!

Mark
Joe Zentner

Post by Joe Zentner »

Had the same problem once, you need to grease up your hitch, especially the latch mechanism,,,,that should solve your problem
check out http://elkgrovebass.com for norcal club fishing....thanks to Westernbass for their forum
The Lone Angler

What about the brake lockout lever on the trailer?

Post by The Lone Angler »

Isn't this lever for backing uphill to keep the weight of the trailer from engaging the master cylinder on the trailer and binding the tongue of the trailer to the ball on the vehicle. I've never used this switch, instead I push the boat/trailer back with my back to release the tension between the ball/hitch.

Sorry if this seems confusing, but I'd bet locking out the braking mechanism while backing uphill would keep the hitch in a natural position facilitating easier removal of the trailer from the ball.

Phil Thunen
daveerwin

Post by daveerwin »

Rich,

Like some of the other replies, I have the same issue having to angle the trailer into the garage. When you hit the brakes the final time, do so while moving with enough speed to stop abruptly. This works 95% of the time. The other 5% I stand on the hitch/bumper and bounce. Works for me.

Dave Erwin
Andy Giannini

Post by Andy Giannini »

Keep the two inch ball. Going any smaller is asking for trouble. Try this, some times with my equipment trailers, I just grab the tailgate, reach back with my foot and roll the trailer back with my leg. I am not sure on your trailer where a good foothold might be, but it can be easy to roll a big boat if you have a place to put your shoe. Grease really does help, and it also helps hitching up as well. The trailer just slides into place on the ball even if you are off a bit.

It helps while trying to get unhitched if the jack isn't up to far. Getting pissed and really turning the trailer jack just makes the load or bind worse. Bring it up a bit, and try pushing it back.

Putting a dab of grease on, and smearing it around the tow ball will not only help you with hitching but reduce wear on the ball or hitch during your travels.

Not sure how the Ranger trailers work, but some have surge hyd. brakes on the tongue. As you back uphill, the bind gets worse! Easy fix is to pull forward. If that doesn't work, consider chocking the wheels and pulling forward just a hair against the chocks. That should release the surge brakes if you have them.

.02 A.G.
"If you can't win, at LEAST catch the Big Fish!"
Rich_Thiel

Re: What about the brake lockout lever on the trailer?

Post by Rich_Thiel »

Thank you all for replying with thoughts of disgauging of the tongue. As Marc and Hardshell/Jailer had mention I think just Greasing the ball and inside the connector/latch would do the trick.

Rust (brown powder) had formed, probably due to weather changes causing a bind between the two said items. Im greasing the hell out of it and need be jump up and down. All else fail's, pull the dam pin like I did Saturday night, block the trailer tires and pull foward, ball thus fell out.

Thank you again to all the Nutcases that I know and to the one's I haven't met.

Tight Lines

Rich Thiel
Guide exclusively on the California Delta, Lake Berryessa and Clearlake for Largemouth, Smallmouth and Spotted Bass.
www.316lurecompany.com
Rich_Thiel

Problem Solved> Thanks All!!!!!! GREASE

Post by Rich_Thiel »

GREASE
www.316lurecompany.com