Low Delta water flow and your equipment.....

DanIsaac

Low Delta water flow and your equipment.....

Post by DanIsaac »

Guys, I've been saying it for over a year now, and over the past 4 months it's even gotten worse, so the article posted regarding this is most certainly for real.

I have been seeing a significant increase in reels damaged or affected in significant ways by saltwater corrosion, and when I have called the customer, as some of you know, I have explained what I have found and have inquired as to where you have been fishing, even though I already know that answer,,,,"the Delta."

Over the past years I might see one to two, perhaps three a year, and those were usually from guys who frequent the Sherman Area or areas west. However, this year I began seeing reels in December that were suffering from moderate to severe electrolysis issues, and it has only gotten worse, to the tune of nearly 30 reels this spring, and to date nearly 50.
I cannot tell you how many people have told me, "but I don't fish north or west of Holland Cut", "or I rarely go west of Middle River".

So, from what I've been seeing, and in no way are these numbers scientific, but I'd say the increased pumping , and low water flows have allowed the saltwater to come to you.

Just look at the anodes on your engine. See an increase in the build up? Look your reels over. See any white chalky substance anywhere? If so, that is a sign of electrolysis in or on your reel. How bout the hooks on some of your cranks?

Saltwater incursion into the Delta is real. Be prepared, look your equipment over for the signs....

Dan
Last edited by DanIsaac on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

Guaranteed 96 hr turnaround on service.
650-454-4938 http://www.reel-ex.com
supermat

Re: Low Delta water flow and your equipment.....

Post by supermat »

Its really good to see someone else bringing this issue to light. I've been rusting reel components in the delta for 3 years now and its definitely getting worse. I know there are allowable limits to salt water intrusion but in my uneducated opinion, the reality of saltwater intrusion is much greater than what we are being told.
http://www.bassinguide.com
http://www.tacticalbassin.com
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

When I used my bass stuff for Calicos off Catalina, I used to darn near drown them afterward in clean, fresh water with my garden hose, to get rid of the salt. It still got into the sleeve of the anti reverse bearing, so I'd have to take it apart and clean that part separately.
I guess you Delta guys are going to have to start buying the salt water versions of the reels you use.
Sucks.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

actually just pull the spools every other time out or so and mist your reels with Windex. Let soak a couple minutes then wipe dry, wipe off spool and your good to go. Drowning or hitting reels with water will do exactly what Mark is suffering from, rusted internals. Submerging, hosing, or washing reels down with too much pressure will drive the saltwater directly inside the reel. There are numerous alternative to this which can be much better. CorrosionX, or plain ole Windex just to name a few. Dan
ReelEx, your source for quality, professional service on your Shimano, Lews, or Revo reels.

mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

DanIsaac wrote:actually just pull the spools every other time out or so and mist your reels with Windex. Let soak a couple minutes then wipe dry, wipe off spool and your good to go. Drowning or hitting reels with water will do exactly what Mark is suffering from, rusted internals. Submerging, hosing, or washing reels down with too much pressure will drive the saltwater directly inside the reel. There are numerous alternative to this which can be much better. CorrosionX, or plain ole Windex just to name a few. Dan
Now you tell me! Hahaha
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman »

DanIsaac wrote:actually just pull the spools every other time out or so and mist your reels with Windex. Let soak a couple minutes then wipe dry, wipe off spool and your good to go. Drowning or hitting reels with water will do exactly what Mark is suffering from, rusted internals. Submerging, hosing, or washing reels down with too much pressure will drive the saltwater directly inside the reel. There are numerous alternative to this which can be much better. CorrosionX, or plain ole Windex just to name a few. Dan
Dan,
Big thanks for the Windex tip. I am guilty of using the garden hose to wash off my gear after fishing the Bay for stripers. (Another thing to do with Windex; spray some on a terry cloth towel, wrap the towel around the cork handles on your rods and 'work it' a bit. Your rod handles will look new)
I've always been amazed at how little alarm-ringing the groups do that are trying to Save the Bay. The Bay needs the freshwater flush from the Sac and San Joaquin rivers. Sadly the only people who could do anything about this won't because they need the rich water folks to support their next campaign.
I wonder how long it will take before one of us will be out on Frank's Tract tossing swimbaits and catch a leopard shark?
"Don't take life too seriously. You're not getting out alive." Bugs Bunny
fishbonz412

Post by fishbonz412 »

Dan,

Great advice and awareness for us all. Question: When you Windex the reel, you mean the outside only? Not inside the housing? and not anywhere on the spool itself? Is it the ammonia that helps reduce the salt effect, or do you use "ammonia free"?

And I believe in separate posts, you have recommended wiping down reels with a light cleaner? I believe something like Simple Green? Are there other options too?

when would you use Windex over a simple wiping using Simple Green? and vice versa?

Thanks.
--Sometimes it is best to be quiet and be thought the fool than to speak out and remove all doubt---
DanIsaac

Post by DanIsaac »

Either Windex works fine, and yes pull the spool, and mist the inner areas LIGHTLY as well as the outside, and your spool shafts and exposed edges. Let soak and wipe dry after a couple minutes. Simple Green for dirt and slime build up, Windex for salt issues. For a more thorough cleaning you can wipe dry with a Huggies type wipe and that will help evaporate even more un-wanted junk. Dan