Alabama Rig Rod ?

Robb R

Alabama Rig Rod ?

Post by Robb R »

So here's a dumb question .
What type of rods are guys using for Alabama rigs ? Don't want to go super expensive and might want to consider one rod for both A-rigs and swim baits if thats possible . (don't have either type right now)
I use mostly Shimano Crucials , but like Loomis and Powell .
Would most likely put a Chronarch on for a reel unless others have a better idea?
any input would be appreciatted .
Thnx ,
Robb
clearlakeoutdoors

Re: Alabama Rig Rod ?

Post by clearlakeoutdoors »

Depending on the a -rig (weight ,baits etc ) .I like my crucial xh . Powell endurance 795 has been real popular for A rigs
Irod . Dobyns all have A rig rods
Dave
dwise

Post by dwise »

Seeker makes a rod specifically for Alabama Rigs designed by Paul Elias.

React Pro Paul Elias Signature Series RPS-P768ARR 7'6" 1oz to 8oz

http://www.seekerrods.com
D. Wise
Castaic Bass Club
Sushi King

Post by Sushi King »

Powell 795 is a great A Rig rod! The more I use mine the better I like it.
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

thanks for the advise .
I will check into both of those .
Regards ,
Robb
paul mueller

Post by paul mueller »

I like the Dobyns Champion 795MLSB. It was originally designed for up to 5 oz. swimbaits and it handles any size A-rig perfectly.
Mike

Post by Mike »

paul mueller wrote:I like the Dobyns Champion 795MLSB. It was originally designed for up to 5 oz. swimbaits and it handles any size A-rig perfectly.
Yup
OG on WB since 1993
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

My vote is for the okuma 7'11" heavy guide select. Fairly cheap and does the job for a rigs and medium size swim baits.
Mike Thomas

Post by Mike Thomas »

Mike wrote:
paul mueller wrote:I like the Dobyns Champion 795MLSB. It was originally designed for up to 5 oz. swimbaits and it handles any size A-rig perfectly.
Yup

Tony Lain

Post by Tony Lain »

RANGER Boats - MERCURY Marine
ACRon

Post by ACRon »

When I was shopping for an A-Rig Rod a did a lot of research and finally spent time talking with both Gary and Richard Dobyns.

I now use a Dobyn's 795MLSB. The rod loads and casts the bait very well, while not putting nearly as much pressure on your body to throw it. It has a 13" handle, which really helps with the leverage of the rig. They also make it in a 795SBMT model, which is the same exact rod blank, just has a 3" shorter handle. Works very well for the rigs also, but you don't get the extra leverage casting the rigs. But the shorter handle is a little easier to maneuver and operate. The 795's will handle smaller rigs, 1/8 ounce with 4" bodies, all the way up to bigger rigs, 1/4 ounce heads, with 6" bodies. So it covers most all rig setups.

They also have the 804C which some people prefer. The faster action of the rod doesn't load up as well as the swim bait rods do, which doesn't get you as much casting distance, but is little more accurate on shorter casts. It
works well also, but personally I still prefer the 795 swim bait rods.

If you are throwing bigger rigs mostly, 1/4 ounce with 6" baits, and larger, they also have the 806HSB. But it is a little too much rod on the smaller rigs.
bassdaddy

Post by bassdaddy »

Although I started out throwing A rigs on my heavier swimbait rods I have finally settled on the Dobyns 795MLSB. I guess it's not original idea, but if you needed to hear it one more time...I'm that guy.
Tree
VangBass1

Post by VangBass1 »

I throw my a-rigs/hudd 68 on the Dobyns 764c. My 795sbmt are used for larger hudds but I mainly throw 68's.
jerrysfishing

Post by jerrysfishing »

G.Loomis SWBR 953