BASS fishing information

drdetroit3

BASS fishing information

Post by drdetroit3 »

Hi Guys,

My son, 13, addicted to bass fishing, has choose bass fishing as his exiting project from junior high!

Does anyone have any suggestion on good books to read, where to get info, DVD's, ect that might help him??

Need info on history, science, math, art?

Thanks, Mike
clum553946

Re: BASS fishing information

Post by clum553946 »

Don Iovino has a book out about using graphs. It give some history about how sonar started & info on old style graphs (like the scroll paper ones!) You can get a copy on his website. You might even try calling him & see if he'll give one to your son. He's a cantankerous old fart but a softy at heart!
eagle123777

Post by eagle123777 »

not sure about the history, but could check out the websites of hank parker, bill dance, jimmy houston, roland martin for dvds and such. the libarary should have books to checkout and of course youtube has many videos of bass fishing but again may not be much history there.
jack
usaf (ret)
triton 21x2
medfish

Post by medfish »

Tell your son to ask his teacher if he can use first person accounts as references. If he can. Tell him to call Mr Dobyns to him tell him about the evaluation of fishing rods. Or Mr Brown about how tournaments have changed. Both have designed baits along with Mr Tosh for that matter. To name a few that probably not mind helping out and have resumes that can support their words even if they haven't written a book or made a DVD. In others words tell him to think outside the box for resources if he can.
Fast Eddie

Post by Fast Eddie »

Dr,

1. On the right side of the page, go to magazine nostalgia and download the History of Competive Bass fishing in the west.

2. Bass Wars....... How Rick Clun won the US Open.

3. Google Ray Scott and the other names previously mentioned. There are lots of behind the scenes guys like johnnie Morris, earl Mann, john Fox, and ESPN.

TL
FE
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

here's a couple idea's .
history on the evolution of different techniques . Ie:
crankbaits , from Rapala's and Rebels' , to the Big O , the Balsa "B" , to today , every imaginable type of crankbait made. back in the day , a deep diver was 5-10 feet , now they can run 25 feet (Strike King 10XD?)
How about plastic worms . When I started bass fishing in the mid seventies , the ONLY rig you threw was a Texas Rig . Now you have so many techniques it would impossible for me to list them all , Crigs ,D-shots , wacky rigs , nail heads etc....

How about Jigs , back when we all called a "jig" a Brawley Bug . Named for Troy Brawley who tied his own jigs to fish deep structure at Camanche .
What a cool project , kinda with I was doing this one .
Good luck ,
Robb
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Silver Eagles history available on this site.
In Pursuit of Giant Bass, Bill Murphy has good info.
As mentioned Finesse fishing and the sonar connection by Iovino.
PM me and I will put together some articles and papers to look into.
Tom
PS; the book Knowing Bass, The scientific approach to catching more fish, Keith A. Jones is expensive, excellent fact based book to base a study report on.