ranger livewell problems

bassz21

ranger livewell problems

Post by bassz21 »

I have broken 3 livewell actuators that are next to the throttle ive gone down in the bilge and cleand it out to see if that would help but its still not working right when I go to turn it is very very hard to turn and the knob either spins out or breaks off any suggestions thanks adam
BILLYS

Re: ranger livewell problems

Post by BILLYS »

Have you replaced the cable?
TEAM FATBOY.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

BILLYS wrote:Have you replaced the cable?
I had that problem, and it was crud in the plastic sleeve that the actuator wire from the lever switch to the livewell valve rides in. Somehow water and crap got into the line, and made it so hard to move the wire that the switch lever broke.
I wound up buying a new actuator assembly, including the switch and a new wire and sleeve, and replaced the whole assembly, and I haven't had a problem since.
I had to remove my center battery compartment floor to get to the livewell valve.
I used the old wire assembly as a pull shake to pull a strong nylon string through when I remove the old assembly and then used the nylon string to pull the new assembly through.
Be sure to note what position the valve is in when you take it apart, and wear long sleeves and gloves when you're fishing around it there pulling the wire sleeve back through. The fiberglass in the unfinished areas down there is sharp.
I sprayed both ends of the new wire with WD 40 before I installed the new assembly.
Good luck.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
bassz21

Post by bassz21 »

yea thank you so much guys I will get a cable and I also found on bbc a guy who will walk you through making a control knob out of metal http://www.bbcboards.net/ranger-boats/2 ... eeded.html

thanks adam.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Adam,
It's been three+ years since I changed out my setup, and I haven't had any problems since.
I'd suggest you try just buying a new control knob with the cable assembly and see if that does it.
If you have to have a metal control knob to move the wire, something is wrong.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY