hook sharpening

merc1997

hook sharpening

Post by merc1997 »

i will throw out a topic for discussion. how many sharpen all of their hooks, and by what method do you sharpen. meaning, do you fashion conical or cutting points when you sharpen.

me personally sharpen every hook i am going to use, especially before fishing a tournament. i use a high grade mill file, and i sharpen the tip in a diamond shape. this gives four cutting edges, which i feel penetrate much better than a conical point. i also feel the diamond shaped point has more rigidity and will not damage as easily as conical points.

what are other thoughts on the subject.

bo
Marc

Re: hook sharpening

Post by Marc »

Did that 20 years ago; since then I use Gamakatsu hooks and have never looked back.
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com
Champion Jon

Post by Champion Jon »

I dont sharpen new high quality hooks, but will either sharpen or change out hooks that have been used. I have a basic hook file.
davet.

Post by davet. »

I check my points often during game day. Just dragging across a rock will curl your tip over. Run your finger up the side of the point to feel the curl-over.
I found what I think is the finest hook sharpener out there from D&M Custom Baits.
just a few swipes from this diamond stone brings em back better than new. I also use it on all the stock mid grade hooks that come on some baits. Turns em super sharp. Check it out here.

http://www.dmcustombaits.com/diamond-hook-sharpener/

Stick a sharpened hook to the top of your fingernail and see if you can drag it across. A truly sharp hook will not drag. Try it, you'll see what I mean.
www.powerskoop.com
....it aint rocket science!