HDS 7 Touch won't read engine data

Moderator: Ken Sauret

Frank Pitetti

HDS 7 Touch won't read engine data

Post by Frank Pitetti »

I just upgraded my boat from a SITEX FISH PRO II, to a Lowrance HDS 7 Touch. It seems to be an awesome piece of gear. I installed a structure scan and 83/200 transducer, the WIFI and the data interface cable to a 2012 E-Tec 150.

The issue I am seeing is the data is not being read by the HDS-7. I hooked up the T connectors with the terminators as well as the 12V. I actually jumped the 12V and ground wire to a non-constant 12V. The 12V only got power when the ignition was fired up.

In the data source screen, the engine did not show up. I checked my wiring and pulled the fuse back out of the connector the lowrance cables. After putting the fuse back in, the unit read the data source and the engine showed up. This was done with the engine on. After messing with some of the set up setting, the data source info did not show the engine any longer.

I pulled the fuse again and put it back in. Behold, the engine data was there again, and then after messing with the set up info, it was gone again.

I then took the power wire and and ground and went directly to the battery. It seems like it is reading it fine now. One thing it mentioned in the installation was if you have a small system you can hook the power up anywhere. If you have a large system, you should go to the battery. What makes a small or large system. Like I mentioned, I have 2 tranducers, WIFI and data interface. Since there is an internal GPS antenna, I did not hook my another GPS antenna. However, I do have the option to install the external as well. Would it be a good idea to hook up the external GPS antenna as well? Does it give you better accuracy when running internal and external? I primarily will be using in Southern CA for offshore fishing.

Thanks

Frank
Marc

Re: HDS 7 Touch won't read engine data

Post by Marc »

So if I understand correctly, your HDS 7 is now reading the engine data correctly? You do need to make sure your NMEA 2000 network is properly configured (with terminators on each end, and good power source...not sure whether your fuse is on your network power cable or on your HDS power cable, or even somewhere else)?

From the sound of your post it appears you may have some corrosion in your fuse holder, or a loose connection there. Make sure you are using a blade style fuse and that it is clean and solid, especially since you fish saltwater.

Your internal antenna will work great as long as it is not under a metal roof. An external antenna does provide better accuracy, but the difference is less important for your applications and would be more a matter of preference. On the other hand, a Point-1 would be a great addition as it is also a compass and will always correctly display where your waypoints are, even when currents/tide or wind are slowly moving your boat backwards, or when you are sitting still.
www.RangerBoats.com
www.Evinrude.com
www.QuickDropsWeights.com
www.Yamamoto.Baits.com
www.Lamiglas.com
www.Gamakatsu.com
www.LuckyCraft.com
www.Lowrance.com
www.TransducerShieldandSaver.com