Fly Fishing for Bass

DeltaBassBuster

Fly Fishing for Bass

Post by DeltaBassBuster »

Here is a cool popper video for you bass fisherman who love to fly fish and tie flys also. Enjoy, I did. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ4EUx40qGM
Larry Hemphill

I have never understood this!

Post by Larry Hemphill »

Many, many year ago I was invited to speak to a large fly-fishing club in San Francisco. It want very well - they said! One can be a little nervous speaking to some elite flyfisher people - yes, men and women. SoonI was on the circuit - speaking to several fly-fishing clubs all over nor Cal. My topic - "Why fly-fishing is NOT the way to catch bass!" Obviously - trying to get their attention! One club had me back for 4 years in a row - and during my final presentation, they showed me - they GOT it - they understood!! Big streamers and flies for big bass. Many members were having success with their big streamer on ponds and lakes! During my first presentation there, I told them that a bass would just as soon laugh at a #24 Midge than eat it! The point of this is - I don't understand why more folks don't fly-fish for bass in the spring mornings at some of our lakes - such as Amador, or Berryessa. The bass are shallow and willing!! There is such a variety of things they could use besides poppers. But a nice largemouth taking a popper is far more exciting than a trout sucking in a fly. I have guided just a few folks who wanted to fly-fish - even a guy at Clear Lake. Not a good month - July - but he did hook 3 or 4 and landed a nice 2 pounder - in the middle of the afternoon! Just some thoughts.
jg

Re: Fly Fishing for Bass

Post by jg »

I saw some guys fly fishing Mohave about a month ago. They were throwing streamers.
george

Re: Fly Fishing for Bass

Post by george »

My brother Gary has been using a fly rod for years bass fishing the delta, Clear Lake, McClure, Melones, Pedro; etc. He actually had four custom built 8' fly rods just for tournaments.

He has even won a few bass tournaments on McClure and Melones throwing what is equivalent to a float and fly that most of us have heard about and used; even winning a 100% bass winter event at McClure with a 8lb kicker.

Now we all see guys on the delta throwing Clousers, Streamers and Poppers for stripers with some of them catching some huge fish out of Franks and Mildred as well as San Louis forebay held the world record landlocked striper on a fly rod of 55lbs up until a year or two ago.....

So if you can catch a 55lb striper on a fly rod why should you not be giving the fly rod a try on the green fish?
There are times during the cold months and heat of summer that a fly rod will catch a ton of fish when conventional tactics just are not working, I have been out fished ten to one on those days on the delta.

Now, I have also watched him have a few toads suck down his popper near the grass mats and listen to him cry when his line goes limp and he reels in a empty line that just got broke off by something that I would have put in the boat with my 65lb bride. lol

George