Clear Lake help

Moose

Clear Lake help

Post by Moose »

Hi Guys,
Been a long time since I have been on these boards. Next week 6/15-6/21 I am taking my 14yr old son up to Clear Lake as a graduation present. I have never been to Clear Lake. Would anyone be willing to just give me some generalities of what we can expect, fishing wise. I know the WON is this week so I know I may not get much but anything will be better than what I know as of now, which is nothing. I'm in San Diego and 99% of our fish are post spawn and out chasing shad. I would assume the fish are a little behind ours up North but probably still a post spawn deal? Would we be better fishing up North or down South? We are staying Mid Lake so we can go either way.

Again guys, I am not looking for any secret information or particular spots but I would like to be able to put my son on some good fishing. He is just starting to really show an interest in fishing tournaments with me and I am hoping that this trip will help stoke his fire.

I would also appreciate any information about inspections needed prior to fishing such as where to get them done, what are they looking for, and is there a cost associated with them.

Thank you in advance for anything anybody is willing to offer.

Thanks,
Keith
Keith
Fish Blaster Baits Pro Staff
www.fishblasterbaits.com
Sticks56

Re: Clear Lake help

Post by Sticks56 »

Hello,
There are a few smaller fish still on beds, this time of year your best bet would be to stick to the north end fishing docks later in the day throwing jigs and senkos, earlier in the mornings I would throw a frog at off shore grass lines. Because of the algae bloom throughout the lake but more severe in the south. Also you will need a boat inspection completed prior to launching your boat, best place up there to get it done is at limit out bait in tackle number is 707-998-1006 great group of guys and tons of knowledge give them a call and they will tell you all you need to know. Inspection fee is $10 pretty much just ensuring your boat is clean and dry inside and out to include live wells and battery compartments. Hope this helps, and best of luck to you and your son!!!
george

Post by george »

Hello Keith, First of all make sure to get an inspection and any of the tackle shops can do that! Clear lake Outdoors, Limit Out etc; don't be afraid to ask those guys whats getting bit right now they can help you out.
Don't let the algae scare you, it can be a blessing in disguise sometimes because a lot of the guys cant fish it! There will be a lot of boats due to the tournaments but the good thing about it is they can only be on the water for six hours!
Mornings I would be throwing buzz baits; white/chart or black/red, spinnerbaits; white/chart with white or gold blades and spook early in the mornings until they stop eating it.

I would also be throwing a jig up against the tullys and fish it slow, pitch it and shake it in place; green pumpkin brown with a pumpkin trailer or brown/purple with a yamamoto twin tail grub in watermelon red. Throw them against the tullys and against the pilings on the docks. If you get bites on the outside stick to that pattern, if you find them on the inside pilings stick with fishing the inside pilings on every dock.

Drop shot something in red, 4" to 6" about ten inches up the line on flouro and throw it up in a foot of water and work it out to you until they start eating it then dial in on that depth.

Good Luck,

george
eagle123777

Post by eagle123777 »

weed cover is all over clearlake, don't forget the weeds in the 10 to 15 ft depth...they like 6" senkos out there if the TW bite is dead.
jack
usaf (ret)
triton 21x2
Moose

Post by Moose »

Thanks guys, I REALLY appreciate it!

I believe we will be staying right by Braito's Buckingham Pt Marina. Is that a place where I can get inspected?
Keith
Fish Blaster Baits Pro Staff
www.fishblasterbaits.com
clum553946

Post by clum553946 »

You might want to try Clearlake Bait & Tackle in Clearlake. They can inspect you plus Jimmy can give you good info on the current bite!