Teener bass

WB Fishing Reports

Teener bass

Post by WB Fishing Reports »

The gasps can be heard across the pond... a 13 pounder??? Yes, the ShareLunker Program only accepts teeners in their largie spawning pool.

Now is when the questions really come flooding in...

How many are there? What are they caught on? When can I get one? Where will I get mine? Wait... are they all really 13 lbs or bigger?

Read More: http://www.westernbass.com/dotcom/libra ... ml?id=5141
69114_10151207496775901_333677879_n[1].jpg
Oldschool

Re: Teener bass

Post by Oldschool »

California's idea of a trophy bass program was introducing Florida strain LMB back in 1959 and calling that program a failure when the FLMB lowered the bass per man hour being caught. California hasn't done anything since the initial FLMB introduction into San Diego city lakes. Local bass clubs had to plant FLMB into other lakes after the city of San Diego program, no management program from our state DFW.
We didn't have certified scales at any of the trophy bass lakes for 25 years during our big bass boom period and had to transport giant bass to the nearest market with a certified scale, putting these rare fish at risk of over stressing. Try to get a official fishery biologist to examine a live giant bass or validating the catch before releasing it.
The Texas Share a Lunker program should have been a model for California 25 years ago! We could have validated our giant bass catches with over 1,000 teener's.
Tom
Kwin

Post by Kwin »

How many of the top 25 LMB all time are from Texas? How many are from CA? Why should CA spend money directly to breed and raise trophy LMB when they don't have to? Nature will do it on it's own. A fish doesn't have to be 13 lbs or bigger to spawn potential records. A 13 lber's genetics didn't change from when it spawned the first time in it's life and every other time thereafter. Sharelunker is a feel good program, no more no less.

Also, not one person I know who catches "teeners" has asked me to validate a single fish...Why is that? Because they and I know that in CA "teeners" don't matter as a bench mark, they matter as growth potential for a State or World Record. I'm not going to waste my time to validate a "teener". However, I will gladly drive to wherever to validate a potential State or World record which in CA is 20+.
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

The simple fact is CA doesn't have a trophy bass program.
If Bob Crupi could have easily validated his 22 lb bass and it would be the official state record. If we had a trophy bass program both lake Castaic and Casitas would be producing teeners today.
I have caught my share teeners and 2 bass that exceed the Texas state record and believe CA should manage our trophy bass fisheries and have a program to validate trophy bass catches that doesn't require killing those bass.
Tom
nightbite

Post by nightbite »

All of our lakes are going down hill! We need RAIN!
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

nightbite wrote:All of our lakes are going down hill! We need RAIN!
Amen!!!
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Kwin

Post by Kwin »

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Fishing/Recognition/TBB/

"As part of the Trophy Black Bass program the Department keeps records of anglers who catch a trophy size bass and submit a recognition form to the Department. Successful anglers can complete Program application form included with this leaflet. Verified catches are entered into Department databases and provide information on trophy fish catches to managers. Anglers will receive a certificate documenting their catch".

Direct inquiries or the Trophy Black Bass Verification form to: California Department of Fish and Game,Fisheries Branch, Attention: Reservoir Research and Management Project 1416 Ninth Street, Sacramento, California, 95814.

It's basically a self-serve application. All you need is angler name, water, county, date, length, girth, witness and supporting documentation (photo/news item/weigh slip/etc). Straight forward and easy. No one has to inspect/validate the fish and it can be released unharmed. Doesn't even have to be a certified scale, we'll take your word for it....so long as it's not a State to World record. I'm sure any of us in the flatwater program would go out of our way to validate one of those should we be contacted.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

I heard Gov. Rick Perry misread it as Shared Clunker, and tried to donate a Corvair he found in the weeds in his front yard!
You gotta love Texas.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
Oldschool

Post by Oldschool »

Kwin wrote:http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fish/Fishing/Recognition/TBB/

"As part of the Trophy Black Bass program the Department keeps records of anglers who catch a trophy size bass and submit a recognition form to the Department. Successful anglers can complete Program application form included with this leaflet. Verified catches are entered into Department databases and provide information on trophy fish catches to managers. Anglers will receive a certificate documenting their catch".

Direct inquiries or the Trophy Black Bass Verification form to: California Department of Fish and Game,Fisheries Branch, Attention: Reservoir Research and Management Project 1416 Ninth Street, Sacramento, California, 95814.

It's basically a self-serve application. All you need is angler name, water, county, date, length, girth, witness and supporting documentation (photo/news item/weigh slip/etc). Straight forward and easy. No one has to inspect/validate the fish and it can be released unharmed. Doesn't even have to be a certified scale, we'll take your word for it....so long as it's not a State to World record. I'm sure any of us in the flatwater program would go out of our way to validate one of those should we be contacted.
Looked at link and see this program started in 1994, the year I caught my PB LMB and didn't know about this certificate until now. Will look at the forms to determine if it is retroactive.
Thanks for the link.
Tom