Ethanol and Outboards?

Grape Ape

Ethanol and Outboards?

Post by Grape Ape »

With this crappy low grade ethanol fuel we have here in Calif. and knowing the harm it does to outboard motors....what are some of the things to avoid internal damage? On my 2008 Mercury Pro XS I always added additional "Pro Plus" oil directly to my fuel every fill up. I'm running a 2012 now and haven't been adding this additional oil. I am considering starting though. What are you doing and/or recommending?
Harry Markarian

Markarian Investigations @ (209) 777-9696
USAF (Retired)
Merced PD (Retired)
C & C Marine
Kentuck

Re: Ethanol and Outboards?

Post by Kentuck »

I would certainly run some sort of fuel stabilizor.
kraetzer

Post by kraetzer »

I use startron http://www.starbrite.com/en/startron every time I fuel up.
kraetzer

"I am ready to face any challenge that might be foolish enough to face me" - Dwight K. Schrute
Grape Ape

Post by Grape Ape »

I just read many reviews and research articles on the Star Tron. I ordered some and will try it. Thanks.
Harry Markarian

USAF (Retired)
Merced PD (Retired)
C & C Marine
zdbm2004

Post by zdbm2004 »

I'm running Quicksilver Quikleen#2 for carbon and Stabil fuel treatment for ethanol in a 92 Merc 200 XRi carb engine and I don't add any oil except to the tank and resivoir. No problems except for shorter life on plugs. Feinstein put a repeal on the states use of ethanol so hopefully it is gone soon. California doesn't even have a law that it has to be in our fuels. It was more of a stimulus for farmers. It would be a good time to get rid of ethanol at this point in our drought and rising corn prices.
zmyers
fishwithron2

Post by fishwithron2 »

What dealer carry it ??
Kentuck

Post by Kentuck »

You can get startron at WalMart or any auto parts store.
NoCAL

Post by NoCAL »

Since I have a Mercury engine I prefer to use Mercury products. Not all agree with that and to each his own, I'm sure there are other good products. Since my engine is brand new, I have been diligent with adding products. I add Mercury QuikCare at every fill-up. This treats gas and stabilizes it to combat ethanol. I add Mercury Quickleen about 1X/month when using the boat every weekend. This cleans the injectors and internal parts of carbon build-up. If the boat is going to be stored more than a month without use, I add Mercury Quickstore to keep the fuel/ethanol from separating. You can read all the descriptions at the included link. That is just the way I take care of my engine.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/par ... fuel-care/

NoCAL
Grape Ape

Post by Grape Ape »

NoCal, I tend to agree with you....to some degree. The only thought that I have is....the fuel that is going into that Mercury is not a Mercury product.
Harry Markarian

USAF (Retired)
Merced PD (Retired)
C & C Marine
CBS

Post by CBS »

Does anybody know which gas providers have the more or less ethanol content? I read where in Cal the state will allow up to 15% ethanol which outboard manufacturer's are really concerned about particularly with respect to warranty issues.
Grape Ape

Post by Grape Ape »

Funny you should ask that. I was wondering the same thing myself. I have been checking every gas pump I've gone to for awhile now. I have yet to find any decal on the pumps indicating the percentage of ethanol in their fuel. I thought it was required by law?
Harry Markarian

USAF (Retired)
Merced PD (Retired)
C & C Marine
CoralSteve

Post by CoralSteve »

I have a 07 250 Pro Xs in which I run -1oz Mercury QuickCare + 1oz Mercury QuickLeen Per 5 Gallons of Fuel and a 150:1 mix of Mercury Premium PLUS in the fuel tank. The oil has been proven to benefit fuel system components by providing additional lubrication ONLY to the fuel system components (especially the direct injectors- which are often left DRY after engine shutdown). Mercury can't officially recommend it, to keep within the pollution requirements, but it is well known through Mercury Tech's to be a benefit.

As for my injected oil, I run Mercury Optimax/DFI oil.

This blend of additives/oil is recommended on the BBC board, Mercury and ran by a ton of guys with positive results.