Weighing my options for a blown up motor

Adrian

Weighing my options for a blown up motor

Post by Adrian »

I have a ranger 350 V 18.5' boat in good shape, loaded, needs cosmetic work but has brand new carpets, also needs a little electrical work that I feel very competent at doing myself. I recently blew the Mercury xr2 150 black max in the back of it. So now I am face with the decision of either buying a new boat, a used boat a new motor a used one or have this one redone... don't have a lot of cash laying around or I would have a better boat already... What would you sugest? If i were to buy a new boat it will definitely be a small one with nothing bigger than a 40hp four stroke for fuel economy...
Shoot away!!!
Mitch

Re: Weighing my options for a blown up motor

Post by Mitch »

I would weigh your options as to the ability you have to afford those options. If you like the boat you have now, look into rebuilding the XR (cost) verses the cost to re-power. If you live or fish lakes that allow the XR, this will be the cheapest way to go. If you live near or wish to fish lakes that require a Star rated motor, then your option is to Re-power with a rated motor (like Optimax) or sell what you have now and invest in a newer used boat with a rated motor. Again, it's going to rely on what you can afford. I would not buy a NEW boat unless you can pay CASH or can afford the added payment to your budget. AND I wouldn't downsize just to 'settle' for a newer boat.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
Popper

Post by Popper »

Mitch,

New boat:
Out of the question...
You indicated there's not much cash, and the depreciated value of the new boat starts right when you drive it off the lot.
It doesn't sound like your in a position to absorb depreciated value of a new purchase.

If you're happy with the current boat, and it's structurally sound with minor cosmetic issues
Repower with either rebuilding or purchase a newer motor.

You'll take a $$$$ hit with a new motor, but the oil and fuel consumption will save you a few bucks compared to the
Older motor.

Good luck
Ed
split172

Post by split172 »

reddog

Post by reddog »

There's a post right now which I'm sure you may have seen for a ranger 170 vx best offer. check that looks clean.
Theres a Co. on here and a few other sites which I unfortunately cant remember the name of right now that sells what look to be rebuits for decent prices if you are happy with your boat just have the motor issue. I believe they were castro valley/ bay area ish location. (google?)
Its never easy to scrap a boat you've had good times in but weigh the costs and cut your loses.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I appreciate your help, I think what I will do is part this boat. Sell everything anybody may find useful, and just save for a down on a new boat. I would like a small (no more than 40hp) four stroke. I don't fish tourneys nor do I plan to in the near future, so speed is not an issue. The reason I decided on a new rather than used is simple, financing.. I can put together a couple hundred bucks a month for a pyment specially if the boat is cheap to run. Plus if it's new I know it will start at the ramp, that I won't need new batts for a while, etc.
So, if you need parts for your ranger or merc 150 xr4 let me know.
Text Adrian at 7072352890. Will post pix on a new thread.
Located in Oakdale, Ca
reddog

Post by reddog »

Hey if you're happy I'm happy. The new aluminum rangers are nice Triton makes a few, and I started out way back when with a Bass Tracker and a 50 hp 4 stroke merc. I loved that boat except when the wind was ripping or I just shouldn't have been out there anyway. Being young at the time I sadly have to admit I owned it for about 4 years and never did the servicing as required or any of the other things you're supposed to in order to keep the boat running right and can honestly say never had a single issue. Good luck