Fiberglass boat/Transducer Question

bassin510

Fiberglass boat/Transducer Question

Post by bassin510 »

I own a 1999 nitro 640lx. It's a fiberglass boat. I'm installing a Lowrance elite-5 hdi and I'm not sure where would be the best spot to put the transducer. Here's the thing, I'm not sure if I should install the transducer so it shoots through the hull compromising my temperature reading. Or should I drill into my transom and install the transducer that way? I also do not have a jack plate so I couldn't install it so it's hidden under the motor. Need help.thanks
norcalracer

Re: Fiberglass boat/Transducer Question

Post by norcalracer »

If your not concerned about water temp, glue it to the floor inside the boat near the rear of the boat!
bassin510

Post by bassin510 »

If i epoxy it to the bottom is there any other way I cant get a temp reading so when i'm just cruising a spot I can read temps without throwing the trolling motor down??
Trace

Post by Trace »

Lowrance sells a separate temp sensor look into it either on the lowronce forum or a dealer
Mike Thomas

Post by Mike Thomas »

Did the unit come with the HDI skimmer transducer?
bassin510

Post by bassin510 »

Mike Thomas wrote:Did the unit come with the HDI skimmer transducer?
Yes it came with a HDI skimmer transducer
bassin510

Post by bassin510 »

Trace wrote:Lowrance sells a separate temp sensor look into it either on the lowronce forum or a dealer
Thanks a lot ill look into that. probably gonna do the shoot through the hull method
Mike Thomas

Post by Mike Thomas »

I'm not certain but I think those transducers are meant to be mounted externally. You may lose your down imaging feature trying to shoot thru hull with that one. If you're not concerned about the imaging, You can get the in hull puck transducer with the remote temp sensor built in to it.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

If you only got the skimmer transducer, you can mount this under the boat on the step and it is out of sight and protected. Then the temp will be in the water. It will NOT work mounted in the hull.
2007 "Numb Nut"

Ranger Boats-Mercury Motors
Minnkota Ultrex -TRP Batterys
Raymarine - Troll Bridge
Gloomis - Shimano
Pepper Jigs - Robo Worms
bassin510

Post by bassin510 »

Mitch wrote:If you only got the skimmer transducer, you can mount this under the boat on the step and it is out of sight and protected. Then the temp will be in the water. It will NOT work mounted in the hull.
thanks
bassin510

Post by bassin510 »

Mike Thomas wrote:I'm not certain but I think those transducers are meant to be mounted externally. You may lose your down imaging feature trying to shoot thru hull with that one. If you're not concerned about the imaging, You can get the in hull puck transducer with the remote temp sensor built in to it.
Alright cool thanks