Snitches Get Stitches

WB Staff

Snitches Get Stitches

Post by WB Staff »

From Yamamoto's Inside Line

As the stakes have risen, new blood has arrived and the competition has become stiffer, backroom reports of cheating in professional fishing have increased substantially.

I’m hardly an insider, but it seems like not a month goes by without some angler, member of the media, or other more-in-the-know-than-me individual is telling me about an alleged cheating incident. Some of them are surely hearsay, but I have no doubt that others are true. One FLW pro’s name comes up again and again and again. The BASS side is no different – I’ve heard one firsthand report from a pro who I’m pretty sure hasn’t told a lie in over a decade about something that he knows that would knock your socks off.

Of course, I haven’t seen any of these alleged infractions, so I’m not capable of reporting them. In a way, I’m glad that I’m not in that position, because while every barstool pundit says he’d do the right thing when confronted with an opportunity, it’s never that easy. Off the top of my head, I can guess several reasons that you might not report a violation:

Unsure that you saw what you think you saw
Infraction occurred in a gray area, not a violation of black letter law
Infraction wasn’t a very big deal
Cheater is a popular person, not sure if your word will be taken seriously
Cheater is a friend and you don’t want to make him suffer
Fear of making an enemy or group of enemies
Fear of being seen as a tattletale

I’m not making light of any of these. I’m pretty sure that all of us have “looked the other way” on some crime in the past, thinking that it would be better or easier just to let it slide. That’s probably why, with the exception of the notable cases of ...

Continue reading Pete Robbins' Snitches Get Stitches here at Yamamoto's Inside Line http://www.insideline.net/index.php/blo ... t-stitches
mark poulson

Re: Snitches Get Stitches

Post by mark poulson »

I was thinkg they could stop GPS cheating by issuing official map chips at the start of each tournament day, and taking back the chips at weigh-in, but someone who wants to cheat will find a way around that, too.
At the major and AAA levels, mandatory lie detector tests for those fishing the final day would slow it down a lot.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
whazup

Post by whazup »

Very unfair post, especially saying some of the cheaters names "would knock your socks off." Without a hint of evidence, you have just tainted dozens of the top anglers in the world. Rumors? Dock talk? You are going to make this charge based on that?? Incredible!! I despise rumor mongering. If you know something, call them out. If not........
Fish Laugh at the Mention of My Name
kraetzer

Post by kraetzer »

whazup wrote:Very unfair post, especially saying some of the cheaters names "would knock your socks off." Without a hint of evidence, you have just tainted dozens of the top anglers in the world. Rumors? Dock talk? You are going to make this charge based on that?? Incredible!! I despise rumor mongering. If you know something, call them out. If not........
+1

Totally worthless article - stirring the pot without proof or the balls to say it.
kraetzer

"I am ready to face any challenge that might be foolish enough to face me" - Dwight K. Schrute
striper beater

Post by striper beater »

X2