Navionics Platinum or Premium

Moderator: Ken Sauret

banoscreekkid

Navionics Platinum or Premium

Post by banoscreekkid »

I want to install a Navionics HotMaps chip in my Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 3 unit. I only fish 1 or 2 tournaments a year. Mostly just fish for fun. Is it worth the extra 50 bucks to go with the Platinum over the Premium ?

Thanks, Mike
wallyandre

Re: Navionics Platinum or Premium

Post by wallyandre »

The Hotmap Premium is to be replace with the Navionics+ the 1st of January.
If money is no object get the Navionics Platinium; you are getting the 3D view satellite but more important is the sonarchat that are include on the Platinium. Sonarchart is another HD layer that gives you 1"ft. contour. If you look at the coverage on the link below and you find out that the water you fish are located inside and outside that coverage then you should get the Navionics+ that come with the US and Canadian water but without the sonarchart; if you and you should get the soanrchart you just download it from the Navionics website. Once you purchase you're card don't forget to register it to get the free updates for 1 year.

http://www.navionics.com/en/hotmaps-platinum
rickyshabazz

Post by rickyshabazz »

Like Andre said the names of the charts are changing in 2016. In either case there are cards out there and the Platinum would get my vote. Both cards will be better than the standard mapping and the differences have already been explained. In either case make sure you turn on the Fish N Chip in your Lowrance once you get the chart.

Additionally, the maps are available in an App for you phone and tablet. Those maps are always live verses having to pop the chip in the computer to update them with the current data for the lakes. I can't tell you how many people have Navionics charts that have never updated them. You get one year of fresh data for free with the purchase of the chart. It is $99 a year after the first year.

The Wanabepro
banoscreekkid

Post by banoscreekkid »

Thanks for the tips guys. I went with the platinum and turned on the fishin chip ! :)
McLovin

Post by McLovin »

I went with the premium card on my hds 5. Both Tim from fishermans warehouse and the guy at bass pro said it was all I need to read better contour lines at the lakes. Well I tried to use it at Comanche last week and it was terrible. The lowranc hds 5 contour map was way better. I don't know if I just waisted $150
rickyshabazz

Post by rickyshabazz »

Make sure that you turn on FishNChip on the unit. This turns on the best contours and most detailed version of the Navionics chart. Let me know if you need help. Should be chart, view, FishNChip. There is a huge difference

Fish Chip

No Fish Chip
The Wanabepro