Totalscan transducer with thru hull tranducer

Moderator: Ken Sauret

eMDee

Totalscan transducer with thru hull tranducer

Post by eMDee »

Is it possible to run a Totalscan transducer and use an existing Lowrance thru hull transducer at the same time with HDS3 units?

I want to be able to use the thru hull for depth while at speed. I've been told that the Totalscan is dominant and will override the thru hull. Additionally, I hear Lowrance s aware of this and is supposed to be developing some sort of splitter to overcome this. Can anyone confirm this? Any help is appreciated.
Edd

Re: Totalscan transducer with thru hull tranducer

Post by Edd »

It IS possible . The simple way for you to do this would be to connect both transducers to the HDS7 Gen3. The TotalScan would plug into the xSonic (9-pin) and the thru-hull into the 7-pin connector.

Now, you could reselect transducers through the installation menu depending on your choice, or you can just unplug the one you choose.

The very best way to do this is buy a HDS Carbon and run a split screen.

Not sure there is a new cable coming from Navico, but the old one which you might find on eBay is SB-9BL, and you would also need the 9-pin to 7-pin adapter cable.
eMDee

Post by eMDee »

Thanks for the quick response Edd.

I just had an HD3 7 boat in a box installed, so I would say the Carbon is not an option for me at this point.

I think I'll give switching through the menu a try first to see how that goes. Are you saying that if I go this route it will stick with the selected transducer until I change it back?

Also, if were to switch out the Totalscan for an LSS-2 would my problem be completely solved?
Edd

Post by Edd »

Try this first....
Plug the TotalScan into the xSonic of the HDS. Then plug the other transducer into the 7-pin connector and see if you can't manipulate this by unplugging the TotalScan when you go fast. But to answer your question, YES, by replacing TotalScan with LSS-HD would eliminate the problem.

But WAIT! there's more.....
If you plug TotalScan into one MFD and the thru-hull into the OTHER MFD (may need extension cable) then you could control this via SOURCE menu.