Trouble waters at Ranger Boats?

Brian D.

Trouble waters at Ranger Boats?

Post by Brian D. »

Lots of chatter and articles out there in the wake of 3 top Ranger executives resigning on the same day. Can't be good for our sport, or can it? Could the next boat out of Flippin AR, be the Ranger Pro 521 XPS Uncle Bucks Series?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Bass Pro responds to resignations at Ranger Boats plant

KAITLYN SCHWERS, kschwers@baxterbulletin.com 5:31 p.m. CST November 30, 2015

Ranger Boats in Flippin was purchased by Bass Pro in 2014.(Photo: File)

FLIPPIN — One week after three executives announced their resignations at Fishing Holdings LLC, Bass Pro Group released a statement, noting its support for the local plant.
The boat manufacturing company, located in Flippin, was acquired by Bass Pro Shops nearly one year ago. Bass Pro owns Fishing Holdings, which manufactures fiberglass and aluminum fishing boats sold under the Ranger Boats, Stratos and Triton brands.
Fishing Holdings President and CEO Randy Hopper confirmed Friday that he, Vice President of Sales Keith Daffron and Vice President of Finance Mendel Hughes resigned effective Nov. 23. Hopper declined to comment further.
Bass Pro Group released a statement from its headquarters on Monday, responding to questions about the future of Fishing Holdings and the manufacturing plant.
"Last week we regretfully accepted the resignations of three executives at Fishing Holdings; Randy Hopper, Keith Daffron and Mendel Hughes. These actions were voluntary and do not reflect any changes in philosophy with regard to management," the statement said. "We remain deeply committed to the Ranger, Stratos and Triton brands and have tremendous respect for the strong, independent dealer network. The dealers and fantastic team of associates in Flippin, Arkansas continue to have our full support and admiration."
In December 2014, at the time Bass Pro announced that it had reached an agreement to acquire Fishing Holdings, Bass Pro said it would continue operating independently under its existing management in Flippin. The former CEO, Hopper, said the company was "already in growth mode" and told The Bulletin that Fishing Holdings employed about 936 people. Hopper said last year he had been with the company since he was a teenager, working through plant management, engineering and, eventually, into leadership.

THE BAXTER BULLETIN
No expansion planned at Ranger Boats

As of 2014, Fishing Holdings said there was a network of 200 Ranger dealers and more than 100 Triton and 100 Stratos dealers. Ranger Boats is known internationally with customers from countries such as Japan, France, Italy, Australia and Russia.

Bass Pro is headquartered two hours away in Springfield, Missouri, and has 90 locations throughout the country, including Springfield, Branson, Missouri, and Little Rock. It also manufactures and sells boats through its Tracker Marine Group brand.

----------------------------------------------------

http://www.news-leader.com/story/news/b ... /76582062/
~~ I'm trying to think but nothing happens ~~
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8MhaihAw7I&feature=related
Colebass

Re: Trouble waters at Ranger Boats?

Post by Colebass »

Everything will be fine with Ranger. The brand is bigger than all three of those guys put together.
Dave Cole
Rich hamilton

Post by Rich hamilton »

Interesting note two out of those three guys are directly related to Forest Wood.
If I don't meet you no more in this world Then I'll see you in the next one. Don't be late... Don't be late... Stevie Ray/Hendrix
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

A curious point is that why did the top leadership "resign" on the same day. Oh to be the fly on the wall at the factory. Would be interesting to hear the real story.
reddog

Post by reddog »

No one in those positions just "quits working" but it could be as simple as to many chiefs not enough indians. Its easy to read more in to these things but its also possible that these 3 just are at a point where the Co. is doing its thing and they've got enough to hang it up and enjoy life a little.
Dan Daniel

Post by Dan Daniel »

NOW MAYBE THEY WILL BRING BACK THE CHAMPION BOAT LINE...

Dan D
Rick K of Ca

Post by Rick K of Ca »

This may be good to Ranger.
In my opinion Randy Hopper was part of management that bankrupt Ranger boats
in the first place. And was a driving force to stop all manufacturing of champion boats.
As I see it this may be good for Ranger and the bass boat industry.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Well, we'll see in time how the changes affect the direction Ranger is going.
Change is always interesting.
If the economy continues to improve, and wages go up, people will have more money for fishing, and expansion may be a good thing.
If the economy doesn't improve and wages don't go up, most of us will not be able to afford a new boat, and the boat manufs. will have to continue to pull in their horns, consolidate/cut back, and try and survive, just like the rest of us.
Attitude plus effort equal success
CLEAN AND DRY
basshol

Post by basshol »

They aren't just trying to survive. Have you noticed the price of boats.they have doubled inflation hasn't doubled
Popper

Post by Popper »

Agreed,
Ranger not going anywhere.....
It's name brand is engraved into the foundation of recreational and competitive Bass fishing.

What these resignations signal is a change in course that's obviously not unaminous on the board.
These changes could be:
-Direction of the product by integration of boat lines between Nitro and Ranger designs.
(This would be a monumental mistake.........)
-manufacturing facilities and locations
-consolidation of what use to be (2) independent boat lines
etc.........

There will always be changes any time two companies with similar or same products merge through buy-outs.
Resignations, lay offs, consolidation of redundant departments, manufacturing facilites, and product design are common when this occurs.

-We'll see effects of this buyout in the next 3 - 5 years.

Ed
Robb R

Post by Robb R »

With the merger of Ranger and Nitro , you would have to ask how many upper management executives would you need to run both brands . Nothing kills a company quicker than to many chiefs and not enough Indians . Also , which brand is more profitable ? I would bet that the Nitro product brand has better margins and more streamlined manufacturing .
Let's face it , Ranger is known throughout the world , but I would bet a Nitro boat is a better value for most bass fisherman , especially the non- tournament guys . Feature for feature , is a Ranger worth $20K more than the same size Nitro ?
Robb
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Robb R wrote:With the merger of Ranger and Nitro , you would have to ask how many upper management executives would you need to run both brands . Nothing kills a company quicker than to many chiefs and not enough Indians . Also , which brand is more profitable ? I would bet that the Nitro product brand has better margins and more streamlined manufacturing .
Let's face it , Ranger is known throughout the world , but I would bet a Nitro boat is a better value for most bass fisherman , especially the non- tournament guys . Feature for feature , is a Ranger worth $20K more than the same size Nitro ?
Robb
No.
CLEAN AND DRY
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

Just a brief update from a Ranger dealer who has first hand knowledge of both sides of this story. Ranger is in good hands and all is fine. All the current departments at Ranger are staying at Flippin along with all the current employees. Some production of non Ranger product will be moved to other Tracker Marine factories to free up more production space for Ranger Bass and Saltwater models which take a long time to make during the busy time of the year. Some Triton and Ranger V bottom production will be moved to the Tracker Lebanon Missouri plant, [state of the art] so there can be more Ranger aluminum production in the Flippin Alum boat plant as those boats sell like hotcakes. No tournament orgs are getting axed. Tracker has lots of good things they bring to the Ranger table like Tracker Marine finance and huge marketing money. Randy and Keith will be missed and I wish them nothing but the best in the future. All of the other companies that have owned Ranger in the past let those guys alone to do their thing. Johnny and his crew are hands on. Randy Hopper had nothing to do with Champion BK, that was done by the Porthouse family who ran it into the ground and it was bought out of BK by Genmar and never recovered. And last thing. Brian D., you have never owned a Ranger that I know of so lets keep the pot stir down please. Rick G/Anglers Marine
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

No need to take pot shots. Not nice. I don't need to own a Ranger bote to comment on corporate executive shuffling. I am merely reposting interesting news just like any news source, social media site, or oped column. FWIW, I like the Ranger brand and maybe some day I will. Interesting times ahead for the marine/fishing industry.
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rick,
I didn't read Brian's posts as negative toward Ranger, merely as a "what's happening".
Your post helped answer his question.
Thanks.
CLEAN AND DRY
Rick G

Post by Rick G »

Mark, miss you man! Hope the Delta is treating you well. Somehow I doubt that the Baxter Bulletin gets read by too many Western bassers, and if anyone on this site is concerned about the upper level happenings at Ranger/Tracker/Triton/Stratos, maybe the best question to be asked is, "hey anyone in the dealer or boat rep world have anything to say to this"? That way all the fine consumers who own those products don't need to worry what all the naysayers think they know. Merry xmas to all.
Anglers Marine has been serving Southern California boaters and fishermen since 1981, with the West's largest bass fishing tackle store and the best boat dealership on the west coast.
Open 7 days a week
Mon.-Sat. 9-6 Sun. 10-3
mark poulson

Post by mark poulson »

Rick, I miss you guys, too. Let me know when you're coming up this way.
I'm glad Brian started this thread, because, until you told us what was really going on, no one from Ranger had gone beyond the original announcement.
A play by play of Jordan and his crew rigging Brent's boat would make a great video.
CLEAN AND DRY