What is the typical gas mileage?

Share vehicle info.
Brian Manthe

What is the typical gas mileage?

Post by Brian Manthe »

What is the typical gas mileage for Ford or Chevy's around1993 to 1996, for
1. 1/2 ton
2. 3/4 ton

and most importantly, what do each of these veh's typically get for mileage pulling a 20ft bass boat.

Thanks,
Bassman
Fishin' Dave

Re: What is the typical gas mileage?

Post by Fishin' Dave »

MOVE TO >>>> VEHICLE FORUM

I know, you hate me for this. There has to be some action on the other forums :D
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.
Brian Manthe

Post by Brian Manthe »

I'm sorry I put it in this forum, but the other forums don't get much attention paid to them. I'm out to buy a truck real soon, and I'm weighing the options for pulling my boat. I have an F350 now w/ a 460 and it's costing me to much in gas to even justify short fishing trips. So I'm wanting the guys to weigh in on if there's much of a difference in gas mileage between the F250 and F150 or Chevy/Dodge equivalent.
Bassman
Fishin' Dave

Post by Fishin' Dave »

Chevys typcally get the best gas mileage. Fords are next and Dodges are last.

I have a 92 F-250 with the 460 so I know the gas crunch.

Remember this, a big block towing a heavy load vs a small block, the big block will get better mileage because it doesn't have to work as hard.

For a bassboat, a small block v-8 is fine. Look for a deal on a F-150 with the 4.6 v-8. Unloaded those get 20mpg on the hwy. If you are only doing short trips, a v-6 will do it. My little jeep hauls my boat down the street just fine.

Weight is another issue. The added weight of 3/4 or 1 ton running gear will cut your mileage. Also the added weight of 4wd transfer case and front drive components will hurt mileage. The trade off is durability. The 3/4 and 1 ton running gear will last and last, but liek anything if you drive it right and keep up on the maintence the 1/2 ton will work.

Sorry to bust your chops on the forum thing. I should have just kept my keyboart shut, but then it wouldn't be westernbass.com :lol:
Don't be lame. It's just fishing; you are not the new mesiah you know! Check your attitude at the door Mr. Spinners on da boat trailer.
DAKINE198

Post by DAKINE198 »

My 97 Suburban 1/2 2WD used to get around 17mpg towing my 205 Procraft. K&N GenII intake, Gibson Cat-back, Hypertech power progarmmer turned to the highest setting, and mild head work.
AINOKEA..........life is good...but I'm mad as Hell
Pred

Post by Pred »

I get 21-22 mpg highway on my 7 Tahoe and about 14-16 towing... but its tons of hills that Im going up and down. I have averaged 17-19 mpg towing when its fairly level
bass smacker

Post by bass smacker »

My 96 Bronco has a 5.0 and gets 14mpg.