What's in this Humminbird Side Imaging Screen Capture?

Moderators: Triton Mike, Doug Vahrenberg

Doug Vahrenberg

What's in this Humminbird Side Imaging Screen Capture?

Post by Doug Vahrenberg »

Here's an interesting image can you tell what's in this image?

I'll be back in a week as I'm leaving for the BASS Central Open...See if you can guess what I have captured.

Skeeter, Yamaha, MinnKota, Humminbird, Dobyns, LakeMaster, Transducer Shield & Saver, LuckyCraft, Daiwa, Dave's Custom Baits, OMEGA Tackle, Elite Tungsten, Angler Innovation, Massey Ferguson
obsessed fisherman

Re: What's in this Humminbird Side Imaging Screen Capture?

Post by obsessed fisherman »

Looks like a kids swing set.
ACRon

Post by ACRon »

What ever it is it looks like it is about 40-50 feet long. Might be a section of fence like other said.
Last edited by ACRon on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
obsessed fisherman

Or a section of guard rail, although not sure why the posts are showing up so long and white?
Madbasser

Post by Madbasser »

How about a section of chain link fence with the barbed wire on the top. :?
Doug Vahrenberg

ANSWER: It is a Floating Dock at a Marina.

But not only is the floating dock showing up but some rubble below it and a few fish.

Skeeter, Yamaha, MinnKota, Humminbird, Dobyns, LakeMaster, Transducer Shield & Saver, LuckyCraft, Daiwa, Dave's Custom Baits, OMEGA Tackle, Elite Tungsten, Angler Innovation, Massey Ferguson
Madbasser

Post by Madbasser »

Damb, i guess the 5.7ft depth should have given it away. I will have to look harder next time. :wink:
obsessed fisherman

OK, somethings wrong. I've side scanned many floating docks here on the CA delta. All the docks float due to the tide. I've never seen an image like this. I beginning to wonder if my transducer is not mounted properly. Is there a setting on the side scan that would prevent images from the surface (such as a floating dock) from appearing?
Doug Vahrenberg

What Unit and Transducer are you running? What Frequency are you using?

455kHz frequency with Humminbird covers 180° of coverage from the surface of the water to directly under the boat.

800kHz frequency is less coverage and more downward focused about 150° of coverage so you miss the horizontal scanning.

These coverage area images are from the Generation 1 (981c, 987c) Frequnecies and on the second generation units the 262 was replaced with 455 or 180° COverage and the 455kHz was replaced with 800kHz. But you can see how the focus of the scanning is different.

obsessed fisherman

I have a 798c si hd, which has the 455hz. should cover 180. Doug, sure appreciate your input and attention to this site. Keeps me wanting more from my unit.
Jim
Doug Vahrenberg

Yep the 798c is only 455kHz but should show docks. Where is the transducer mounted and can you send a sample image.

obsessed fisherman

Will do. I've got some images on the card now, but don't know that I've done a snapshot or recording of a dock. Card is at home and I'm at work :cry: , but I'll get something to you. thanks a million.
Jim
obsessed fisherman

Ok Doug, here is a floating dock I side scanned the other day. It is secured by pilings in the back. There are big steel rings around the pilings that are then secured to the dock. This way the dock can float freely up and down with the tide. I think I've correctly circled the pilings.
The 1st part of the dock looked like concrete, but must have foam behind the face to make it float. The balance of the dock is wood and foam. As you can see, far different than the image you posted.
Doug Vahrenberg

The image I posted was a marina dock with several slips. This looks to be a different style of dock.